Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first 100 rounds

I just picked up my XD Sub-Compact .40 on Friday and had my carry class Saturday night. I was able to get 100 rounds down range during the range portion of the class.

So, initial impressions:

It's been a while since I have shot and I need more time on the range... certainly not the XD's fault.

I was a bit surprised the "power" from the XD... last time I shot was a 9mm (Beretta M9) and it took a few rounds to get over the "holy cow this thing has some power" effect the XD comes with. (I don't think I paid extra for that option, it was included at no charge.

My hands struggled a bit with the standard magazine size. With the extra capacity magazine I did much better. Pearce Grips are in my near future.

The XD magazine loader was easy to figure out and was nice to have... funny thing was another XD shooter, not sub compact, came over to me for a quick class on the magazine loader.... he said he could never figure it out :)

Shots on target... Here is where it gets interesting. I was able to group my shots but was consistently left of my aim point and occasionally left and low... Opinions as to cause appreciated.

Overall I was very pleased. No issues, jams or anything.... I did focus a bit on my grip to make sure at least that was right. After the initial 10 rounds I decided to not worry about being prefect and instead just acclimate to the XD. Like I had mentioned it had been a while and I wanted to get comfortable. The XD and I agreed that the next 90 rounds would be for both of us to just explore expectations and get comfortable with one another. Going forward the goal will be to refine the relationship between shooter and weapon and to tighten things up.

On a fun note... we were given the opportunity to do some defensive drills with a fast advancing target from 10 yards... basically empty the magazine into the target as it approached. That was fun... most rounds hit the target... but as mentioned before his left side to much of the impact.

I just need more practice. I am thinking Monday would be a good day to leave work early :)

Anyone using any type of laser on the XD subs with any success?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I shoot the same as you. To the left and a bit low sometimes too. The low part might be from using your pinky finger to grip. Make sure you're gripping with only your middle finger and ring finger to grip the pistol. As for shooting to the left the guide I've been looking at says too much or too little trigger finger. Not really sure what that means but I'm hopefully meeting up with somebody to help me out. Good luck!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I shoot the same as you. To the left and a bit low sometimes too. The low part might be from using your pinky finger to grip. Make sure you're gripping with only your middle finger and ring finger to grip the pistol. As for shooting to the left the guide I've been looking at says too much or too little trigger finger. Not really sure what that means but I'm hopefully meeting up with somebody to help me out. Good luck!
I had the same problem at first too...my issue was that I would pull the trigger with the middle of my finger...when I started to use my finger tip it helped correct the low and to the left shooting...see if that helps...

I know there's a chart on here that tells you what you're doing wrong if your shots are placed in a common area...I'm sure someone else knows where it is and will post it up...

Keep shooting...it'll get better with time...and I agree the .40 has quite a bit more pop than the 9mm

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I carry an XD40sc and it's fun at the range. I suggest more trigger time and a tighter grip. Make sure you are using all of your support hand and only the last three fingers and palm of your shooting hand. Keep the trigger finger and thumb loose. Pearce grip extensions on the short magazine are awesome. So are Powder River Precision trigger kits. By having less trigger travel, there's less time for your trigger finger to affect your grip.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Left and low is very common, I have the same problem. I checked out the videos on Springer's site as far as a proper grip and I'm hoping that will help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on the new XD!!

I too was shooting low-left with my XD-9 and couldn't understand it at the time. I found a lot of good information on this site that has helped virtually eliminate my low left problem. My problem started with too little trigger finger and a overall poor grip which caused the barrel to move low-left as I pulled the trigger. I have been dry-firing with snap caps every day and this allowed me to see my grip issues and correct them.

Here is a good article....
How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

Here are some forum posts with good info...

A couple of pages into this post is a target that you can print and take to the range. It's a big help.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/89982-need-help-shooting.html

Another good post...
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/60694-basics-marksmanship-part-1-part-2-a.html

This might help also...
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/30361-gripping-subcompact-step-step.html

Be Safe and good luck with your new XD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts