Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum...good to see indepth discussions...

in short I've been shooting this 9mm XD sub-compact for years...probably at least 1,500 rds thru it....it goes bang every time I want it to....until tonight...

just before I put it away, I removed the mag, racked back the slide to eject the round from the chamber...all good there...did a last chamber check to make sure the gun was empty...released the slide...AHHHHHH????!!!!!.... that was the 1st time that the slide did not return to the closed position..

Facts:
1) this is stock, no mods...and had not done any maintenance recently to this pistol since I last fired it about 1 month ago
2) when I say that the slide was "stuck 1/2 way open" I really mean 1/2 way...not all the way back, being held by the slide lock....it was somewhere between fully closed and fully locked back
3) there was no round in the chamber
4) there was no magazine in the gun

NOTE: I was able to unjam the slide by fully racking back the slide (not riding or "babying" it forward), and letting it cycle under full spring force

However, this slide jam freaked me out, as I have never had an issue with this XD and depend on this tool for the protection of my family

I've used the search option to go thru your postings but could not find someone who had a similar issue

1) has anyone run across this issue?
2) if so what was the cause?
3) what the solution?

thanks for your help....

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Try pushing the slide forward and pull the trigger at the same time letting the sear release the striker.......also hold in the grip safety.

That sounds like the sear is still holding the striker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks ajamesp51...I appreciate the response....I was able to get the slide to release and return to the closed position...I've been able rack the slide back and forth smoothly as it always has...

what has me concerned is that if this condition (1/2 stuck open)...happened when I had to use the pistol next time (at the range or even worse in an emergency)...it might fire, cycle the slide back, strip off the next round from the top of the mag, but then get "stick 1/2 way open"...leaving me with real jam (pun fully intended)

unfortunately I still don't know why the slide got 1/2 stuck in the 1st place....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts