Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think your sights were adjusted in the factory? Did the gun seem sighted in "out of the box?" What has been your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
there are two lines on each side of the dove tail you can take a measurement off them to see if your sights are centered.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My XD9 sights were in fact not centered. I've spent the last few months trying to get used to the slight offset to the left (bullet hits a bit to the left) but I just can't. However, the sights on my new XD45 are just fine out of the box.

So...........last night I pulled out my big anti-vibe hammer and used a 1/4" steel punch to drift the rear sight to the left maybe the equivalent of 1/32". I'll try this out at the range this coming weekend, but I think that'll do the trick.

The drifting was a real bitch though. I was really heeving on that punch tool but it finally worked. Marred the side of the sight up just a tad while I was smacking it, so I just flipped it over and marred up the other side so they have matching marring. 8) A little bit of BreakFree CLP on the slide and we were back in business.

On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions for a drift tool or whatever they're called for the XD? It's sorta like a vise that you just keep twisting on to slowly force the sights to move.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello Dougxd:
you said that you were shooting to the left, well to make the bullet hit father to the right you must move your rear sight to the right.
move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go.
good luck
Rick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup.......you're correct............DOH!! My brain was saying right, my hands typed left. Anyhow, that's what I did, I drifted the rear sight to the right....not the left.

Thanks for smackin' me on the back o' the head......I guess I deserve it for dorkin' that up. :oops:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know if there is a cause and effect, but ever since the factory stopped making test targets which shipped with the gun, there are more issues with this. I have 3 XDs and my last two did not come with a test target (XD9 Tactical, XD9 SC) and I needed to drift the sights. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the factory is trying to cut some corners by installing the sights at the witness marks-I suspect in most cases the gun will shoot centered this way, but obviously not 100% of cases....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Margana said:
I don't know if there is a cause and effect, but ever since the factory stopped making test targets which shipped with the gun, there are more issues with this. I have 3 XDs and my last two did not come with a test target (XD9 Tactical, XD9 SC) and I needed to drift the sights. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the factory is trying to cut some corners by installing the sights at the witness marks-I suspect in most cases the gun will shoot centered this way, but obviously not 100% of cases....

Yeah....you know, now that I think about it, I didn't get a test target with my XD45 like I got with my XD9. Interesting....hmmm. :?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yup, right on target everytime.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I shoot everything left and so do a lot of people.The mechanic's of your hand if your right handed push off to the left and to the right if your left handed.Ive tried everything tighter grip and different holds.The smith i talk to said its common and they just drift the sights to compensate.My XD had the test target and it was dead on. When i put it on a rest it was dead on to.And when i moved mine over it was also a total bitch.I,m gonna have someone put on some true glo's im not touching it again. Later BigA

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also moved the rear sight to the right to compensate for shooting left and low. However, I doubt that it is the sight install that is the entire problem. For me it the problem seems to be how I shoot offhand (no rest).

When I first started shooting semi-autos about a couple of years ago, I used to shoot VERY LEFT and VERY LOW. Now with much study and dry practice, I hold the gun and handle the trigger differently than I used to, and they are hitting closer to center with more consistency.

In addition to proper trigger pull and proper grip, an important thing for me is that I must strive to allow my arm/wrist to point the pistol in what is a natural arm/wrist extension. Because of my stance and shoulder width, sometimes I catch myself bending my wrist slightly to the right so that I don't have to bend my neck so far to the right to get sight alignment. When that happens, I start shooting very badly.

To overcome that problem, I close my eyes, point the gun, then open my eyes to find the natural position of my arm and wrist angle. Then I move my head to the right to get sight alignment. Under no circumstances do I allow my wrist to bend right to come to sight alignment. When I do this, my natural arm/wrist alignment is very straight, and my shots tend to move consistently to the right/up (and center of target).

I'm interested to hear if this helps anyone else also. It was a discovery that I figured lots of you guys already knew, so I never brought it up before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My sight's are also of noticeable difference towards the left hand side of the slide. As someone said above about the indicator lines or whatever, there is a much bigger gap between the sight and "indicator line" on the right side of the sight; close of a gap on the left.

I thought I was crazy until I read this thread. Although, both front and rear sights are pushed towards the left.

So would that mean that since they are both, if in chance; equaly towards the left, they they are in fact still in alignment?

Either way though, I have been from the start shooting to the left of centermass. That would make that leftmass, lol. I have been shooting leftmass. I just thought that I needed more practice though, I am still new. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
May I ask then this question? Mine shoots a little low so what do I do to fix that? File the front sights down? or something like that?
Cheers
Mulder

·
Registered
96 Posts
mulder said:
May I ask then this question? Mine shoots a little low so what do I do to fix that? File the front sights down? or something like that?
Cheers
Mulder

Wow......don't have the answer to this one, but I sure as hell would like to hear others' suggestions for dealing with this type of situation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine were a bit out of alignment also. I just took it to my local gun shop and he used a sight pusher on it. It only took 5 minutes and he didn't even charge me for it despite the fact that I hadn't purchased my XD-9 from them. POI = POA now! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
mcone said:
In addition to proper trigger pull and proper grip, an important thing for me is that I must strive to allow my arm/wrist to point the pistol in what is a natural arm/wrist extension. Because of my stance and shoulder width, sometimes I catch myself bending my wrist slightly to the right so that I don't have to bend my neck so far to the right to get sight alignment. When that happens, I start shooting very badly.

To overcome that problem, I close my eyes, point the gun, then open my eyes to find the natural position of my arm and wrist angle. Then I move my head to the right to get sight alignment. Under no circumstances do I allow my wrist to bend right to come to sight alignment. When I do this, my natural arm/wrist alignment is very straight, and my shots tend to move consistently to the right/up (and center of target).

I'm interested to hear if this helps anyone else also. It was a discovery that I figured lots of you guys already knew, so I never brought it up before.
I'll try it--Good idea!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts