Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning, newbie question coming...

First time I've ever shot a center-fire auto-loader....went to the range today and put 150 rounds thru my new XD-9.... Wow! Ammo goes quick through these auto-loaders! I was very impressed with how easy this gun is to shoot. Mark me down as a happy XD owner.

My groups (if you can call them that :wink: ) were to the left of my point of aim. Looking at the sights, it looks like both front and rear just slide left/right for windage adjustment. What is the best way to get them to move? And, is it preferable to move the rear sight vs. the front.... or vise-versa?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If it is your first time ever shooting a pistol like this, I wouldn't adjust the sight yet. Chances are you may have a flinching problem, like I did. I'd find a shooter who has very good accuracy (usually the range master has good accuracy) and see if the shots drift to the left.

If you are a right handed shooter, it is common for first time shooters to pull to the left because of flinching and anticipation of the shot.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
9 times out of 10 new shooters (and some experienced) will find that the problem is technique rather than mechanical. The chart that Old School refers to is an excellent aid.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the chart.... is there any elaboration on technique, or lack of?

In other words, what is "too little trigger finger"? Most on the chart are self explainatory.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
To help with trigger finger placement, set the middle of the pad, or your fingers first digit, over the center of the trigger. Make sure you pull straight back, and not to the rear & side (a common issue).

OS

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are two lines lightly engraved on each side of both sights. See if the sights appear to be centered between these lines.

When I first got my XD, I was always shooting left of center no matter how I adjusted my technique. I finally looked closely enough to see that the front sight was set a bit to the right of center and the rear a bit to the left of center. I centered both sights and low and behold I was hitting dead center! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Kerank, I had the same problem and the suggestions here will help alot. Another thing that may help is a Hogue rubber grip. This helped me tremendously, that and lots of concentrating.

Tombo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts