Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a XD9sc 9mm, sold it about 3 months ago because all my guns have a thumb safety, I know is my mind playing with me, and I can't help it.
My Gun Shop advertise a two tone service 45 with safety and a compact black 45 with safety
Looking at Springfield website, I can't find either one.
I really like the two colors. Also any rumors about coming with the safety on XDM's?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
The XD's with the thumb safeties were created for the few PD's that required their duty weapons to have one. In my opinion I think it's an unnecessary redundancy, and causing you to have to "think" about 1 more step if you have to present and use your weapon in a panic situation.

I love the grip safeties on the XD, just what the Dr. ordered for an additional safety. If it isn't depressed positively, it isn't going bang. This is the one thing I like over my Glock.

XDm's with thumb safety? Have never heard of such animal.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
IMHO a thumb safety is only needed when you carry a weapon capable of cocked and locked.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
IMHO a thumb safety is only needed when you carry a weapon capable of cocked and locked.

Are you being "funny"? Cocked and "locked" --> can ONLY happen when you have a safety to "lock". A hammer fired gun "looks dangerous" with the hammer back and ready for action. A striker fired gun looks the same when it's ready to fire or unloaded. Less mental agitation among the sheeple.

The XD-45 could be bought with a manual safety. That's the only one. But if you have $$$ a competent Smith can do anything you want.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got the thumb safety model after reading that one in five police officers shot in the line of duty are shot with a snatched service weapon. The civilian statistics can't be much better. A handgun is a distance weapon and very often your first indication that you are in a fight happens when the bad guy lays hands on you and you find yourself on the ground wrestling. I want something that the average person can't use the second he grabs it. I have handed a locked and cocked 1911 to enough Glock shooters who had to be shown how to take the safety off to know that the average thug will never figure it out before I get my thumbs two knuckles deep in his eyes.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I got the thumb safety model after reading that one in five police officers shot in the line of duty are shot with a snatched service weapon. The civilian statistics can't be much better. A handgun is a distance weapon and very often your first indication that you are in a fight happens when the bad guy lays hands on you and you find yourself on the ground wrestling. I want something that the average person can't use the second he grabs it. I have handed a locked and cocked 1911 to enough Glock shooters who had to be shown how to take the safety off to know that the average thug will never figure it out before I get my thumbs two knuckles deep in his eyes.

Note to self; don't try to grab Ezra's gun...:shock:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The XD's with the thumb safeties were created for the few PD's that required their duty weapons to have one. In my opinion I think it's an unnecessary redundancy, and causing you to have to "think" about 1 more step if you have to present and use your weapon in a panic situation.

I love the grip safeties on the XD, just what the Dr. ordered for an additional safety. If it isn't depressed positively, it isn't going bang. This is the one thing I like over my Glock.

XDm's with thumb safety? Have never heard of such animal.
In my case, I will have to think without a thumb safety, just because all my guns have one,

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used to have a XD9sc 9mm, sold it about 3 months ago because all my guns have a thumb safety, I know is my mind playing with me, and I can't help it.
My Gun Shop advertise a two tone service 45 with safety and a compact black 45 with safety
Looking at Springfield website, I can't find either one.
I really like the two colors. Also any rumors about coming with the safety on XDM's?
The manual safety XD is only available in 45 and only with the service length full size grip. Not available on the compact XD45.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
i agree with what some have said w/a thumb safety and when i heard they were fixing to come out with one, i was all for it - even aft all the flame wars on here! BUT i was hoping they were going to move that DAMN slide lock forward some and put the thumb safety JUST LIKE ON A 1911! that would have been 'the perfect' pistol FOR ME, yeah, me only mabye.

the natural rest of a 1911 thumb safety makes for my 'righty' grip to be perfect everytime and it is a JMB 'perfect' safety too - it's is just instintive to me (personally!).

that DAMN slide release is too far back for my hands and as i grip, it sometimes touches the slide release and the slide will NOT lock back b/c of my right thumb thinking it is shooting a 1911...anybody? anybody experience this? again, i LOVE a 1911 thumb safety! i guess i need to start shooting left handed!

·
Registered
432 Posts
i agree with what some have said w/a thumb safety and when i heard they were fixing to come out with one, i was all for it - even aft all the flame wars on here! BUT i was hoping they were going to move that DAMN slide lock forward some and put the thumb safety JUST LIKE ON A 1911! that would have been 'the perfect' pistol FOR ME, yeah, me only mabye.

the natural rest of a 1911 thumb safety makes for my 'righty' grip to be perfect everytime and it is a JMB 'perfect' safety too - it's is just instintive to me (personally!).

that DAMN slide release is too far back for my hands and as i grip, it sometimes touches the slide release and the slide will NOT lock back b/c of my right thumb thinking it is shooting a 1911...anybody? anybody experice this? again, i LOVE a 1911 thumb safety! i guess i need to start shooting left handed!
Have you handled a Smith M&P? The thumb safety on the M&P is much closer to a 1911. Just FYI.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

It's not just you. It's +1 on the 1911 thumb safety being the most natural one out there and desiring one on an XD.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It's not just you. It's +1 on the 1911 thumb safety being the most natural one out there and desiring one on an XD.
(reviewing old posts) Yeah!, now all we got to do is get AZXD to buy a XDm comp 5.25 and SA can come out with even more XD models with the profits they make just of AZXD and even more an more models and maybe they'll make a 10mm 6" barrel 'Hunting/carry' XDm pistol with adj rears, fiber or trijicon fronts/etc! (i am gonna hold my breath too - just to 'make them' do it too!...they wouldn't want an XD shooter turning blue in the face).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts