Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not out to borrow trouble and I am aware that the center steel insert is extremely sturdy relative to other polymer pistols. I find it interesting that HS Produkt a.k.a XD has just one very solid steel insert and an integral plastic rear slide to frame mating area versus the four smaller implants you see on Sig, Glock and S&W M&P pistols. I wonder if this was a cost saving measure or actually a better method for steel reinforcement of the polymer frame?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
No idea. Probably a case of "6 of one, half dozen of the other". Both designs seem to be equally robust.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I think the idea is that slide alignment with the rails means something while locked up with the barrel prior to and during the shot. Other than that, as long as its accurate and the slide isn't ripping up the polymer rails, I wouldn't worry about it. To my knowledge Croatia uses the HS2000 for their military's sidearm. Some of those probably see a good bit of use, and more than likely without problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After having owned a Glock 17 and a Walther P99, I can attest that the larger single steel insert in the HS2000 seems to be a better and beefier design, at least to me. I've never had a problem with my HS2000 and doubt I ever will. I have about 1000 rounds through mine already with no obvious signs of wear on the metal insert or polymer rails at the rear.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think it's got to do more with the patent than anythig...if i remember correctly springfield bought the design from a company that was having problems making the steel parts strong enough or at least thats what i remember reading years back

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I think it's got to do more with the patent than anythig...if i remember correctly springfield bought the design from a company that was having problems making the steel parts strong enough or at least thats what i remember reading years back
Springfield imports this line ... They do not make it.

As for the OP's concerns, there are many owners with thousands of rounds through their guns, and AFAIK no one has claimed to have an issue with excessive wear between the frame and slide.

Here's mine, after a very rough day - XD9 Fails and yes the title is sarcasm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's input and for the link AZXD. I read it completely. I am satisfied the XD design is sufficient. The pictures are worth 2,000 words.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
This is completely wrong, Like AZXD said S.A. just bought the rights to be the sole imported of the design into North America. Before Springfield it was Intrac Located in Knox TN. They were an importer of AK`s and such and did not have the name recognition nor the money for a national push/marketing to take on the big boys. There were a couple of articles saying that the Intrac HS2000 was a good buy but only if it was your last choice. Then a few months later Springfield Armory has their name stamped in the slide and then the same magazine suddenly loves it. There were no design changes from the HS2000 or XD. The HS2000 and HSm are still sold around the world from other regional importers just like Springfield does.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My research indicates that there have been at least 3 generations of the HS and maybe 4 but all under the auspices of HS Produkt and not Springfield Armory.

HS had some rocky times during the Balkan war----suffice it to say their manufacturing location was "dynamic" until things calmed down.

I have also read HS collaborated with the Germans to come up with a tenifer process to finish the slide and other critical parts this as an answer to the earlier HS pistols that were rust prone.

The sight where I got all of this has been deactivated since the owner lost distribution rights to the HS Produkt line. I take the content now there to be a slam at HS.

HS Arms!

At one time, this sight explained all the generations and the torture testing these weapons are put through including randomly and intentionally firing a specimen with a squib round lodged in the barrel and then repeating the process.

Now this is the current HS site and there is no information at this time to speak of:

HS produkt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts