Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eyes on a XD 45ACP Service 4 in. with thumb safety (XD9663). A few unanswered questions remain, probably because of excessive forum poking.

Service/Tactical models in 45ACP have unique frame design?
Are 45 ACP Service/Tactical pistols on their own frame design with nothing in common with other XD models?
How many frame families are offered for the XD pistols?
If so, what is the historical background behind this multi-family frame situation?
Is this like one frame family per caliber?

Ambidextrous thumb safety
What is the reason for the thumb safety being offered only on the 45ACP Service/Tactical models?
If it is a marketing decision to attract current 1911 users who cannot carry cock and unlock (condition 0), then it will certainly sell many pistols.
If it is a technical constraint, what are the foreseeable impacts? Does the Service/Tactical frame family has a future and, market prevailing, will be offered in other calibers.

XD-45ACP LE
Page 19 of the printed XD(M) catalog (also visible in the pdf version) is showing a Service Model 4 in. with thumb safety (XD9661). You can read the following inscription on the left side of the slide: XD-45ACP LE.
What is the meaning of the LE inscription?

deBeaujeu

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
1. The .45 TSV (thumb safety version) uses a modified version of the .45 frame.

2. The .45 TSV slide is milled for the safety.

3. Some LEO/Military contracts require a manual safety.

4. LE (law enofrcement)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have my eyes on a XD 45ACP Service 4 in. with thumb safety (XD9663). A few unanswered questions remain, probably because of excessive forum poking.

Service/Tactical models in 45ACP have unique frame design?
Are 45 ACP Service/Tactical pistols on their own frame design with nothing in common with other XD models?

The 45ACP Service and Tactical are the same frame while the XD45 Compact frame has a shorter grip. The slide/barrel assemblies are interchangeable across both XD45 frames.

How many frame families are offered for the XD pistols?

5 basic frame families including the XD45. XD 9/357SIG/40S&W family has a Full Size frame and a Sub Compact frame. The Sub Compact frame is dimensionally different than the Full Size so parts can not be interchanged. The XD(M) is a seperate family from the XD line and so far has only one frame.

If so, what is the historical background behind this multi-family frame situation?

First gun released in the US was the HS2000 Modern Firearms - Handguns - HS2000 / Springfield XD pistol

When Springfield Armory took over the importing duties the gun was changed slightly and the name changed to the "Springfield XD". First released was the 9mm Service Model followed closely by the 40S&W, 357 SIG, 45GAP and then the Tactical models. The Sub Compact finished out the "XD" line until the release of the larger framed 45ACP line in 2005. The XD(M) is the latest family to be released by Springfield.

Is this like one frame family per caliber?

Ambidextrous thumb safety
What is the reason for the thumb safety being offered only on the 45ACP Service/Tactical models?
If it is a marketing decision to attract current 1911 users who cannot carry cock and unlock (condition 0), then it will certainly sell many pistols.
If it is a technical constraint, what are the foreseeable impacts? Does the Service/Tactical frame family has a future and, market prevailing, will be offered in other calibers.

XD-45ACP LE
Page 19 of the printed XD(M) catalog (also visible in the pdf version) is showing a Service Model 4 in. with thumb safety (XD9661). You can read the following inscription on the left side of the slide: XD-45ACP LE.
What is the meaning of the LE inscription?

deBeaujeu
I believe the "LE" was on Limited Edition a year or so ago and not Law Enforcement but I could be wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts