Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first handgun and have narrowed my choices down to and XD SC or an XDM 3.8 Compact.

I mainly plan to use this gun for recreational shooting, home defense, and to carry.

I have shot both models and am not skilled enough to notice a big difference in the way they felt (contrary to most things I've read, I think I prefer the XD SC....but I have spent more time on the range with it).

I will never compete, but do like shooting. Are there any big advantages / disadvantages that I should know about?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
3.8 all the way for all around use in my OP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently bought the XDm 3.8 compact .40 to replace an Astra A-70 9mm as my CC gun. I prefer the longer barrel of the 3.8. Last year I bought the XDm 4.5 .45, but before it came in I handled an XD and didn't like the trigger as much as the Glocks and Sigs I had handled. I was going to get one of those until I had the XDm 4.5 in my hands. I liked the trigger on it much better and bought it. However, since you have been lucky enough to shoot both and apparently the trigger wasn't an issue, go with your gut. Don't think you will be unhappy with either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the XDm compact and my wife has the XD subcompact. I prefer the XDm, it seems to have a better trigger and the take down is easier. Also the 3.8" barrel length it just a little more accurate for me.

You really can't go wrong with either one, but I would lean toward the XDm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go with the XDm. First the gun is a newer design. It has a 3.8 "match" barrel which is machined to a higher quality thus its more accurate. It has adjustable hand grips small, medium, and large. And it has two clip sizes 13 plus 1 and 19 plus 1 with the grip extension. I think you get more gun for the money with the XDm.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The only reason I would chose the XDm 3.8 compact is for the longer barrel. The longer barrel equates to higher muzzle velocity which in turn gives a higher potential for hollow point expansion.

I had Springer combat trigger jobs done to both my XD 45 and XDm 9. Prior to the change, the 45 had a long take up, heavy trigger pull but negligible creep. The XDm had a shorter take up, lighter trigger pull, but substantially more creep. With the trigger jobs, both guns have almost no take up and light trigger pulls, but the XDm still has quite a bit of creep. My groups are consistently tighter with the 45.

I do not know if all XDm exhibit this characteristic. All four of my XDs have all had less creep than the XDm.

By the way, my definition of creep is the distance between feeling pressure and the trigger break.

All in all, I'd get the XD 40 Subcompact.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, I am really having a hard time deciding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
While i do like the XDm 3.8 compact, the XD9 subcompact fits my hand very well. So I have no need for exchangeable backstraps. That being the case I couldn't justify the $100 plus cost difference. I love my XD subcompact, it is one good shooter(more accurate than you or I will ever be).

That being said I don't think you will be disappointed with whatever decision you make.

Scott

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I bought my XD9sc last year, prior to the new 3.8 compact so I didn't get the chance. I love my XDsc but the XDM's are fantastic IMO and I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've shot them both as well and it's too close to call for me so I didn't give up my XDsc...plus, my sc has over 3,500 rounds without issue (though there was one bad round).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have the XDM 9 Compact and absolutely love it, however I find the Kahr PM9 much easier/comfortable to carry concealed. Both are a joy to shoot for hours, but the XDM holds almost 3 times the amount of ammo (with extension) and about twice the ammo without it.

(19 vs 7 with 13 vs 6 without)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I am looking to get my first handgun and have narrowed my choices down to and XD SC or an XDM 3.8 Compact.

I mainly plan to use this gun for recreational shooting, home defense, and to carry.

I have shot both models and am not skilled enough to notice a big difference in the way they felt (contrary to most things I've read, I think I prefer the XD SC....but I have spent more time on the range with it).

I will never compete, but do like shooting. Are there any big advantages / disadvantages that I should know about?
I have both types and I tend to shoot a little tighter groups with the XDM version, but IMO both are both great and you should choose the one you feel most comfortable with (especially since you have tried them both). If the XDSC feels good to you then that's what I would get.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was asking myself the same question. Xdm40 with the 3.8 or the service Xdm40. I'm thinking of going with the bitone Xdm40 3.8. Firedragon makes a 3.8 9mm conversion for the xdm40. But I'm trying to do more research on it to see if there has been any long term issues with the conversion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would have got the XDm9c if it was available when I got the XD9sc. Mainly becuause this is my wife's pistol, but I think the advantages of the XDm outweigh the difference in cost. I would've prefered the slightly longer barrel, the match qualities (trigger, barrel, etc.) and changeable backstraps.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I use a 3.8c in 40 as my duty gun, but keep a 9sc for BUG/playtime/off-duty/ATV trips. you need one of each.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both the XDm 4.5 9mm and XD sc 9mm, the XDm is a joy to shoot but I like the XD sc for conceal carry. You won't go wrong with either one, they are great guns.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts