Springfield XD Forum banner

XD sc or Service ? (SoCalXD)

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  JonXD 
#1 ·
I'm debating between these two and driving myself crazy. One day, I'm set on the SC and then overnight I'll think about is some more and think I want the service. I'll read someone say that if they had it to do again they would go with the service even thought the like the sc...

Before someone says it :p I will probably have both eventually but don't want to buy them both right now.

Anyway - a little about me. I'm 5'10 about 168lbs so concealing the longer grip may or may not be an issue. I've heard the SC is a great shooter and very accurate fro a 3" barrel. It will be a carry weapon but I enjoy shooting too and will probably shoot quite a bit at the range.

If I opt for the Service, I will like chop the grip. I'm just not sure if I want to do all that.

SoCalXD -- I think you have a lot of history with all of them?? Thanks for the great deal on the holsters. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Sorry for the long post -- Thanks guys/gals.

#2 ·
SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a sc and loved it but traded it for a tactical when I realized with the right holster my tactical can do almost anything my sc could and much more. I carry my tactical as much as I did the sc but it can also serve as a duty and longer range pistol. My vote is go service and invest in a good iwb and owb holster. (Crossbreed Supertuck & Serpa respectively)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well I would say DON'T go with a Service. It really doesn't take much practice to hit a 12" steel at 100yds with the SC. If for some reason you think you would like something bigger go with the Tactical. If you think you will probobly own two XDs I wouldn't split the difference and make one a Service, go big or go small.

#4 ·
Can't go wrong with either one... like what you said you might end up getting both anyway:p

Go with the service model first. I have a bi-tone XD9 service model 4" and I love every aspect of the gun.

Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
If your new or newer to shooting get the service. I can't understand for the life of me all these noobs buying compact models thinking they are going to ccw when they can barely shoot.
Thanks -- I'm not a noob. I'm a former Marine and have a lot of experience shooting. I'm really leaning toward the Service but I'm concerned that, at my size, the extra grip length will be difficult to keep from printing.

Does this change your feedback at all? :)

#8 ·
I'd go with the Service model if you’re not going to be needing to conceal carry. The grip feels better on your hand without having to use the mag grip and I personally think the extra inch on the barrel looks a little nicer. I personally think the SC is pretty pointless for non conceal carry.

#10 ·
Bought a service and sold it to get a SC. I shoot both with good accuracy and can conceal the compact grip better than a full. Also, it's nice that I can switch up to a full length grip and capacity if the moods strikes me. And the mood strikes me each night as I convert my carry piece to HD piece in 2 seconds.

#11 ·
While, IMHO, at SD distances both are accurate and easy to shoot, I would opt for the SC again because the bbl. length makes sitting with it concealed much more doable than a 4" bbl. would.

The grip can mimic the service with the 16rd. extended magazine, be between the two with an add on mag extension and be smaller than the service with the std.10 or 13 round mags.

I have an XDM which can be carried in an MTAC with some care but my XDSC is concealable with almost any dress style and is the one I always reach for. ;)

The OP said he might eventually end up with both so, IMO, starting with the one easier to carry makes lots of sense.

#14 ·
I agonized over the same issue. My buddy has a SC and I shot good with that. I made the decision that my primary use was HD so I went with the service model. Now, about a year later I have my CCW and I kind of wish I would have gone with the SC. I think the SC gives you the best of both worlds.

If you can afford it, maybe go with the XD(m) 3.8?

#15 ·
I carry a service in a minotaur holster. I am about the same build as yourself and I love the grip. I even use a pachmary grip with my small hands. It feels great!! I love the weight and feel of the service, I chose the 9mm. It is not the best choice for CCW but I like having a 4" barrel mainly because I hate the chopped look of the SC. It just looks weird to me like it is off balance.

#16 ·
While, IMHO, at SD distances both are accurate and easy to shoot, I would opt for the SC again because the bbl. length makes sitting with it concealed much more doable than a 4".
That's a very good point. I have a BladeTech Nano Kydex holster for the subcompact. It sits high when worn and I wear it in the appendix position. The short barrel and high holster allows me to sit, squat and bend over with ease. If I were taller or longer waisted, the longer barrel may not be an issue with appendix carry. This combo works the best for me.

I wear my XD 45 in a Comptac Infidel at 3:30 strong side right and after a while my left hip hurts. I wear a Beltman holster belt that digs into my hip from the pressure of the holstered gun. For me the Bladetech appendix carry and my Sub 40 have been my most comfortable CC option.

#18 ·
Thanks -- I'm not a noob. I'm a former Marine and have a lot of experience shooting. I'm really leaning toward the Service but I'm concerned that, at my size, the extra grip length will be difficult to keep from printing.

Does this change your feedback at all? :)
I served with a Guy named Dibble. That wouldn't be you, would it? Either way, hoorah, kill-kill, buy the service.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Go with the sc. I have both and the service just sits there more often. When cc it the lenght of the barrel is much more comfy when sitting down etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.