Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got an XD-S in a trade. Previous owner said there has been about 1000 rounds fired thru it to date, carried more than shot. Pistol was purchased around 2016 to replace one that had been stolen. The pistol is a great shooter but I found out yesterday it doesn't want to feed the Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain load reliably. From a full magazine, be it a 7 or 9 round, the round hangs on the feed ramp for the first two in the magazine. When I only put five in the magazine it feeds all the rounds just fine? Has anyone else run into this with Critical Defense rounds? I have an older box of CD 115s that is in nickel cases and it feed just fine from a full magazine? All other hollow point rounds feed just fine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
While I personally have not had issues with my XDS and Hornady CD ammo, it's not unheard of for little guns to have problems with different kinds of ammo. Springfield themselves will tell you (they told me, anyway) to try different brands of ammo in case some don't work. It might just be that you won't be able to use CD; luckily everything else you tried works
That said, it also may be an issue with the magazines. 1000 rounds isn't a ton necessarily, but if the mags were allowed to drop to the ground every time during a mag change, the feed lips may be bent. Hard to say. If you have a chance (and you plan on keeping the pistol) purchase a new, Springfield factory mag (i.e. not Promag or other 3rd party) and try it out. If it works, then you know you it's the mags.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All mags that came with it (6) are factory Springfield. I shot the XD at 15 yards today and accuracy was abysmal. Rounds impacting all over the target. Previous owner (friend of mine) installed a HUGE aperture rear sight (night site) and front night sight. The aperture is so big, the sight picture is wider than my target frame! I don't recall the company but I do know they're out of business now. The Tritium dots are so small I can barely see them in the dark. I contacted my friend and advised him I can't use the sights on it with any accuracy so I'm taking it back to him this weekend and going back to carrying my M&P Shield 9mm. I ALMOST traded him my Beretta 92.

·
Registered
570 Posts
All mags that came with it (6) are factory Springfield. I shot the XD at 15 yards today and accuracy was abysmal. Rounds impacting all over the target. Previous owner (friend of mine) installed a HUGE aperture rear sight (night site) and front night sight. The aperture is so big, the sight picture is wider than my target frame! I don't recall the company but I do know they're out of business now. The Tritium dots are so small I can barely see them in the dark. I contacted my friend and advised him I can't use the sights on it with any accuracy so I'm taking it back to him this weekend and going back to carrying my M&P Shield 9mm. I ALMOST traded him my Beretta 92.
Good call. Sounds like there’s too many issues to deal with. And definitely a good call on keeping your 92. They may not be ideal for concealed carry, but they’re generally pretty nice shooting pistols. I know my 92X is a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have seen many reports of XDs and other subcompact handguns having feed issues with Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty ammo. Since there are other good (I would say, better) SD ammo options, switch to Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger T-Series and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The Critical Defense rounds that hung on the XD-S feed ramp feed just fine thru my M&P Shield.
I don't doubt it. But it is a known issue with those rounds, and doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the XDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Worked out a different trade with my friend and removed the humongous aperture rear sight and installed a standard sight. Pistol now shoots sub 1.75" groups at 15 yards off hand with my 115 grain XTP hand load. I guess my old eyes just couldn't handle that huge opening! My own load with 115 grain XTPs at 1113 fps shoot point of aim, point of impact now. All is good. I plan on replacing the factory mag springs with Wolf's to see if that solves the feed issues.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 9mm XD-S feeding ammo. Now the XD-S in 45ACP is a different story. I have had feed issues with that firearm with a number of different brands or ammo. Usually it isn't the first couple of magazines but maybe after shooting 40-50rds then it will start misfeeding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I still can't get the newer CD round to feed reliably in my XD-s unless I load only five in the magazines, then it feeds fine. It does it with all my magazines. I've started to chamber one round then put five in the magazine then they all feed fine? My hand loads with 115 grain XTPs now feed because I had to seat them approximately .020" deeper in the case (1.140"- down to 1.120"). I polished the feed ramp to where it looks like chrome and that did nothing to aid CD feeding, the sharp point on the CD hollow point edge hits the ramp and stops dead from a full magazine.

I love the accuracy of my XD-s. I can shoot it at 25 yards off hand with my 115 grain XTP handloads and it puts all the rounds (50) on five 7" paper plates. Besides not feeding CDs reliably, the XD-s started failing to extract shortly after I got it. The pistol, according to the previous owner has had at least 4000 rounds through it and had never been cleaned (his experiment to see when the pistol would start to hiccup and it never did). It was his daily carry piece since 2015. I pulled the extractor and cleaned the grunge from it and the slot in the slide. but it would still fail to extract at random times. Fitted a new extractor and spring and it's shooting reliably again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts