Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I've been a lurker here since I found out about the XD and really appreciate this great resource being here!

It currently is the top runner for me against the Sig226/229 and USP/USPc.

One thing that concerns me is the stories flying around about rust. I take good care of my firearms and for me normal parkerizing has never rusted. I would think that a "new" type of finish should resist corrosion better than this, but the stories are out there, even by those who swear they care for the gun.

I saw the duracoat option for the regular slides, but I also see there is a bitone option. I don't particularly care for the looks of the bitone but could get along with it if it doesn't suffer the dreaded rust "problem"

What say you guys?

Again, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
i cant really speak for the other guys around here but ive only had 2 minor rust issues with my XD 45LE one was when i first got it and handled it and did not wipe it off for a couple days had a very light coat of rust on the slide in the spots i handled. it came rigt up with a quick wipe down. the second was from the same thing just not as bad.

i keep mine in an unlce mikes side kick i sprayed the slide with a slight excess of rem gun oil and let it "soak" into the metal for a few mins before i stuck it in the holster. i handle it all the time and after a month+ i have had no problems.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive had my XD 40 with the factory black finish for 6 months now and not a spot of rust on it.I clean and lube with CLP and wipe it dry. I don't carry it and it's stored in my dresser drawer. I suspect some of the people with rust might carry regularly and maybe the gun is exposed to more moisture? It's been an excellent gun for me, it's definitly my favorite as far as polymer frame guns go. Why pay hundreds more for something else when the XD shoots so nice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got my bitone xd9 last week. I touched it when i took it out of the case. Looked at it first time since then yesterday. Two small specks of rust. I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and back to perfect. My fault for doing that and not wiping it down with a silicone cloth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S281 said:
I got my bitone xd9 last week. I touched it when i took it out of the case. Looked at it first time since then yesterday. Two small specks of rust. I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and back to perfect. My fault for doing that and not wiping it down with a silicone cloth.
Wow, there was rust on the stainless too? I guess if I get one of these it would be worth the duracoat. I swear, my old military rifles with parkerizing aren't this touchy.

Is the springfield armory kote the same thing as duracoat? Can you get one with armory kote at time of purchase as opposed to send it off after you get it.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had my service .40 bi-tone for about 6 months with about 2000 rounds through it. No rust on either the stainless slide or the non-stainless barrel and internals.

I am more corrosive than average to metal, only solid stainless or currently solid titanium 100M rated wristwatches for me, plated cases last less than a year. I have left fingerprints on the slide for about a week, dry firing between range trips, with no rust. The black finish is wearing off the edges of the grip safety, no rust there either.

I was concerned when I first got my XD because of the above and posts I saw here and lubed liberally, but as I saw no problems I backed off. Now I use Casey Birchwood Synthetic-safe Gun Scrubber liberally and CLP sparingly, although it seems to travel everywhere metal anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My rust report (or lack thereof)...

I have two XD's, which I've owned for several months now...a blued service model and a bi-tone sc....I carry one or the other on a regular basis, fire them both fairly often, clean and oil them between most, but not all, trips to the range, and I have used kydex and leather holsters with them. I've carried them in cool temperatures, and hot and humid (very humid!) conditions. No Dura Coating or any other comprable protection as of yet (though I plan to very soon for some added protection & to suit my own personal taste/aesthetics). Bottom line, no rust on either yet. Knocking on wood.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
My BiTone has had finish rust on it twice in the 10 Months I have owned it. This is the first gun I have taken really good care of, and it still rusted.

My Taurus I have owned for over 11 Years, and have cleaned and oiled it 4 times. No Rust. I have put about the same amount of maintenance on all my other guns(Including Hunting Rifles, Shotguns, etc.). I take them out of bed, go hunting/shooting, come home and put them back to bed. NO rust on any of them, except the XD. I don't know if I am just lucky, or what.

It just irritates me that the one gun I baby hast to rust.

Josh

·
Registered
88 Posts
praetorian55 said:
Greetings. I've been a lurker here since I found out about the XD and really appreciate this great resource being here!

It currently is the top runner for me against the Sig226/229 and USP/USPc.

One thing that concerns me is the stories flying around about rust. I take good care of my firearms and for me normal parkerizing has never rusted. I would think that a "new" type of finish should resist corrosion better than this, but the stories are out there, even by those who swear they care for the gun.

I saw the duracoat option for the regular slides, but I also see there is a bitone option. I don't particularly care for the looks of the bitone but could get along with it if it doesn't suffer the dreaded rust "problem"

What say you guys?

Again, Thanks!!!

Hello to all,

I'm even surprised that people have had rusting issue from the stainless slides too? I really wonder how soft the metal is OR where you guys/gals live to have this issue happen. My HK, Ruger pistols and such have never had any problems with rusting/corrosion at all. My own XD "service model" doesn't show any signs. I keep mine inside the sealable "vapor bag" that came with mine. How about trying "celica gel packets" or "vaopr chips" inside a plastic zip lock pouch?

Mail Clerk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts