Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the XD is known for striker retainer roll pin issues.
But from what I have read over the years it normally breaks and is noticed when doing a detail stripping.

I am a firearms instructor and just had a student with a low round count XDm (<500 rounds?) that went home and dry fired the gun a bit and the next day the roll pin was falling out of the gun. It was crushed undersize.
Could have just been removed, opened back up and replaced for now, but it wasn't my gun, nor did I have tools with me.

Is there something else to look for when replacing the roll pin that could have caused it to fail so quickly?

Springfield told him that excessive dry firing will cause this and is sending replacements.

Are they still using the same design roll pin?

Is there any thing else to check that could possibly cause this to happen so quickly?

Is there any reason not to use an upgraded retaining pin?

My personal XD45 has been dry fired 1000's of times, probably between 3-10 thousand times and has no such issue. I know it will eventually. I normally bring this issue up in class when discussing dry firing, not sure if I did in this class though.

If it was my gun I would just order a better replacement, install it and call it done.

I am just looking for the best advice for my student. He is not comfortable with replacing it himself, and I am not a gun smith and not sure I want to mess with someones elses gun.

And while the student is cool about this, I'm sure he now feels that my advice to do dry fire practice has caused him to break his gun.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think it may be because when reassembled the split pin was put back in from the wrong direction.

Or when disassembling he couldn't get it all the way out with a punch and decided to use some needle nose pliers and pinched it thus making the diameter smaller and more likely to work its way out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pin was never removed, nor gun disassmebled more than basic field stripping.
Owner is not confident enough to attempt replacement himself, even after I showed him the XDtalk sticky on replacement.

So he will be paying someone to replace it for him, which is why I suggested to get an upgraded pin, do it once and be done with it.

The pin just started backing out on it's own while firing the gun, never came all the way out.

The PRP is one that I would recommend to him.

Matt

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's not a big deal if it does come out. The gun will continue to function normally. it's there to prevent the striker from beating the hell out of the back side of the breech face.
Which can only happen when dry-firing without a snap cap.
I think that functionally , you are fine not having the pin.

The bad scenario is if it were to brake and pieces somehow prevent the striker from moving.

I am actually considering removing my pin completely so that I can clean the striker channel easily without driving the pin in and out.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
you can just fire brake cleaner in there and it will be fine. there's a hole at the back of the breech face that allows debris to be discharged when flushed. I suggest using that instead of putting any unnecessary wear on the roll pin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts