Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the range and put 200 WWB through the XD and 100 through the M9. I wanted to compare the two.

First, I have to say that both these guns are way more accurate than I am. I have older eyes and trifocals...which really make aiming a pain sometimes.

Having said that, I report that both guns functioned flawlessly. Recoil on the Steyr seemed a little less. One thing I noticed after 100 rounds....the magazines on the XD are easier to reload and much easier on the thumb and index finger than the ones on the Steyr. Seems like the Steyr magazines are really sharp!!!! I had to tape my fingers to continue firing (I shot 300 in the Steyr last week and my fingers immediately recognized the magazines this week and complained).

My perception is that I am much more accurate with the Steyr than the XD. So what does much more mean? Near (7 yards) and far (20 yards) I can get a ragged hole 3" across with the Steyr. With the XD its more like 5". I wouldn't lay any blame on the pistols, both are more accurate than me.

I did notice that I like the Steyr sights a whole lot more than the XD sights. Steyrs were easier to pick up with my trifocals...the XD sights were harder to see. Is it possible to have the trapezoid sights put on the XD? Anyone hear of doing that with other pistols? If not....what sights would be better than the factory?

One last difference I noted related to the trigger. The safety on the trigger on the Steyr seemed sharp and cut into my finger after a time. Anyone else experience this? The trigger reset and travel are less on the Steyr than on the XD.

I'm just an average guy and no gun expert and these are my observations after one range trip....my first with my new XD.

Reactions or comments?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us! Unless I missed it, I didn't see how long you've had the M9 compared to the XD. After practicing with the XD, I have improved my groupings a lot. I know you said both pistols are more accurate than you are, and that you like the sights on the M9 better. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you start grouping better with the XD as you start to shoot it more! :)

In any case, glad to hear that you're enjoying two fine pistols.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Trapazoid sights are available for the XD. They are nice once you are used to them. Congrats. I did not find the Steyr mags hard to load, quite the opposite. the 12 rnd XD mags were impossible to load to 12 but the M9 I could easily get 15 in the 14rnd mags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted sure sight and they are out of production. Sure look interesting.

Aren't there some post type sights that work just as good?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
XD mags easy to load?? Oh man, I thought my thumbs were going to fall off when I first took the old XD out to the range. After about 4 mags my hands started to shake from the effort of reloading and my groups went to hell. I then purchased a speed loader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts