Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a light attached to the rail of your XD? i was wanting to put one on mine after some disturbances i have had in the past couple of weeks where i live and its always in the night-time . I was looking at the mini-light that is advertised by Springfield on their website....
http://springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-xml.shtml
anyone have this ? Good or bad? what other good lights are their?

·
Registered
83 Posts
do a search here for M6 ... that should pull up some info.

btw, i have an M6 and really like it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks , i looked and i know for sure that i want a rocker on/off switch. I dont like having to stick a pad for the on/off controls , its just more to get in the way.I will look at Surefire tonite for their quality , but i like the XML light that S.A has onthier site so far , with the rocker switch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Both the SureFire and Streamlight series will do the rocker switches.
Be prepared for a cost difference between the Surefire and the Streamlight. I've got a SureFire X200 that cost me about $220 and my Streamlight M3 was around $100.

In my opinion, the construction of the SureFire is superior to the M-series of Streamlight due to it having a metal housing and being a LED housed behing a non-reflective lense. The X200 is also waterproof to a certain depth. I want to say something like 30 meters. I havn't seen any data as to weather the Streamlight M series is waterproof/resistant. In a side-by-side comparison i'd have to say that the X200 is at least twice as bright with a more focused beam than the M3 is.

I like my M3, don't get me wrong. I think it's worth the $100 i paid for it. I havn't seen the brightness of the M3X or M6X, however, i'd have to imagine that they are simliar to the Surefire X200.

-Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Streamlight M3x on my tactical. I love the light. When I went to figure out which one I wanted I messed around with the Surefire 200, M3, and the M3x. After playing around with it and having experience with the M3x on a AR 15 rifle I decided that I wanted that one. The M3x was as bright as the 200 and that was with new batteries in both pieces in a dark warehouse.

HTH

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i may have to go with the streamlight , $200 seems really exspensive. I will primarily use it at home around my house at night , not at work on patrol. So how about the S.A. one? oh yeah , on the streamlight , does it hook on the rails good and tight? And can you get replacement bulbs pretty regular for it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Streamlight M3 i have huggs the rails on my XD Service very well. It doesn't rattle around at all. I believe the XML is the same way as it's made by ITI who makes the Streamlight M series.

Note: SA just rebrands the Streamlight/ITI product for themselves.

Also, the bulbs are available from many retailers. A quick search using google shows they run less than $20. I used the search term 'streamlight m3 replacement bulb' specifically. Also, searching for replacement XML bulbs shows they also cost somewhere around $20.

With all the people on this board that have Streamlight lights I don't believe I've heard anyone mention that they've had to actually replace a bulb. Nor have I heard of anyone having problems with them mechanically after thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an xd9 tactical.

First I bought an xml light... shot only one mag with it attached (light on for only a few shots)... then took off the light and did some more shooting. Not much later I got in my car to return home, checked my xml for operation, came on a couple times (momentary function check) and that was it... it went out.

1 magazine caused this bulb to go out???

That was all I needed to see. I bought a surefire x200a and am thrilled to death with it (got it for a little less than normal price with military discount).

x200a: waterproof, totally shockproof (l.e.d. light), and can hammer nails into a 2x4 (seen the add?)... and plenty bright

If it's a gun you stake your life on, it's worth twice the price of an xml in my book. Besides, a replacement light cost nearly 30 bucks with shipping... and the x200a will never need a replacement bulb

Also, lifetime warranty on the surefire... 1 year only on the xml.

think it over... extra 150 bucks to be worry free an no potential bulb costs

... of course if you have a subcompact the x200's won't fit

·
Registered
409 Posts
keep in mind the battery life is mostly set at 20 min of sustained light. the lithium batteries have a shutoff circuit built in that if they get to low, it will just go off. Most people mistake that for a blown bulb or broken light.

If the lithium batteries do get to low, the are very dangerious, that is why the circuit is built in.

I love m M3 btw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JesterXD40 said:
keep in mind the battery life is mostly set at 20 min of sustained light. the lithium batteries have a shutoff circuit built in that if they get to low, it will just go off. Most people mistake that for a blown bulb or broken light.

If the lithium batteries do get to low, the are very dangerious, that is why the circuit is built in.

I love m M3 btw.
i will have to investigate... would be surprising, since i had used that battery less than 5 min (but it was the original battery)

do only CR2 battteries have this built in?... i've ran 123 lithiums down REAL low in surefires without the shutoff and no danger that i was aware of.

this cutoff would seem tactically undesirable

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I have a XD40 SC and have the X2L (the light/laser) and I love it. I have shot several clips and it is still perfectly tight and the laser was right on. It is excellent for at night and the laser is a BIG benefit on target acquisition. I could see how this would be a huge advantage in a high stress situation. And besides all that – it just looks freaking cool! Definitely a must have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Parrishco said:
I have a XD40 SC and have the X2L (the light/laser) and I love it. I have shot several clips and it is still perfectly tight and the laser was right on. It is excellent for at night and the laser is a BIG benefit on target acquisition. I could see how this would be a huge advantage in a high stress situation. And besides all that – it just looks freaking cool! Definitely a must have.
it's good to hear someone's insight product is doing well...

by the way, please consider changing your signature, i wrote to you about it over here: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=286551&highlight=#286551

·
Registered
36 Posts
JesterXD40 said:
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/lithium-ion.html

some light reading
thanks for the link, just skimmed for now but we'll be more thorough sometime

by the way i popped in a fresh battery but no luck

to be honest after my own experiences with lithium batts in flashlights (ranging from months of extreme heat in iraq to 0 degrees farenheit in my car and the previously mentioned batteries ran down to low power) i'd be prone to categorize this safety issue into the "over-concern" category for the most part... but i'm only addressing non-rechargeables here

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
the_theologian, thank you so much for the correction. I had no idea that was not accurate. I didnt see that you relplied on that other post. Being as I love history I definitely want to accurately portray it. I will def change it. Thanks for the links too for a detailed look at it this.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Standing corrected in more way than one...

the LED have circuits that will shut off the light, not the standard xenon lamps.

I to have used lithium batts, in the marines, and have had more than one singars batt have a meltdown.

On a similar note, i just picked up a surefire executive E2e. Really nice light.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a SA XML on a XD9 Service. Took it to the range and blew off 300 rounds w/the light on the battery kept on going after my session (about 1.5 hrs) Worked flawlessly except for all the gun powder burns all over the light lens-cleaned off easily w/a treated gun cloth.

Just one problem to keep in mind. Service rails only have 1 notch on them. With the XML on the notch it's quite a reach to the rocker switch w/average fingers. Or you can just pull the light back off the notch, but it won't be in a locked position.

Just my$.02.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts