Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought an XD 4" in 9mm. The weird thing is the business end of the spring/guide rod sticks out of the end of the slide about 2/10's. I just put 50 rounds through it and dang nabbit it is still the same. Anybody else seen this? I think I attached a picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
4" .40 BiTone on Left...4" .45 on Right...perfectly normal

Attachments

·
Registered
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The alleged purpose is that if you push it up against something, perhaps a perps belly, it won't go out of battery and fail to fire.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Makes absolute sense! Never thought about it...well played SA

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Imo if worried about going out of batter put a wml on it. Or close the slide with your thumb (queu joeywhat and mark fight) and pull the trigger.

It was a cool conceptual design feature that got people talking about the issue. I don't feel it solved anything unless your pushing the gun into a head everything else has too much give for it to work.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I don't think the recoil rod sticking out beyond the muzzle was a concept to to keep the gun in battery while being pushed into flesh. I think it's a byproduct of how they designed the encapsulated recoil spring/rod assembly. Take a look at the Tactical models, non-encapsulated recoil spring and the end of the rod is flush with the end of the gun.

If you want to shove a gun in someone's side and have a good bet that it will fire, choose a revolver.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't think the recoil rod sticking out beyond the muzzle was a concept to to keep the gun in battery while being pushed into flesh. I think it's a byproduct of how they designed the encapsulated recoil spring/rod assembly. Take a look at the Tactical models, non-encapsulated recoil spring and the end of the rod is flush with the end of the gun.

If you want to shove a gun in someone's side and have a good bet that it will fire, choose a revolver.
If that were the case all the other brands with captive springs would have the same attribute. The Tacticals were made for competition and went with the standard guide rod to allow easy spring tuning.
Only the Croats know for sure and I, for one, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i never understood the reason why anyone would want to be close enough to someone to shove the gun into them. step away. give yourself some time to react and take the possibility of the other guy taking your gun from you out of the situation.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
i never understood the reason why anyone would want to be close enough to someone to shove the gun into them. step away. give yourself some time to react and take the possibility of the other guy taking your gun from you out of the situation.
Its for if you get taken to the ground. Push in so you can feel if your on him solidly cause you can't see your sights.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Its for if you get taken to the ground. Push in so you can feel if your on him solidly cause you can't see your sights.

hmm, never thought about it like that. thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts