Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a local gun store today and he didn't have the XD .40 sub-compact I was looking for but he revealed that prices were going up 8% on there next order. Has anyone heared if S.A. has had a price increase since the first of the year or if there is a planed price increase soon?

It might be that the store is just raising the prices vs the manufacture.

It would be worth it for me to drive the 85 miles to the nearest store that has a sub-compact if the prices are going up that much.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yes unfortunately the gunstore is corect, but I was told 9% from the distributer. Thats what you get the XD wins handgun of the year twice and the price goes up. Although if the price goes up they need to fix the recoil assemblies.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
In most cases, a price increase is due to a change, such as material cost increases or a re-design. Is this the case with the XD?

In the end, the market will dictate a fair price. If SA raises the price because they feel the can, that is OK. However, if the consumer decides to spend $50 more and get a Glock as an example, SA may need to rethink the strategy because of the loss of volume. Perhaps the extra margin will make up for volume.

One thing I do know, most on this board "sell" XDs to people who are torn between XDs and Glocks, and SA gives us little attention. If SA cared, they would return phone calls and give AJames an answer on his forum t-shirt. We, the consumer, made the XD the "Handgun of the Year", not Springfield. If this issn't true, the HS2000 would have been the "Handgun of the Year" too.

Another Rant (that is two today),
Old School

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Old School said:
In most cases, a price increase is due to a change, such as material cost increases or a re-design. Is this the case with the XD?

In the end, the market will dictate a fair price. If SA raises the price because they feel the can, that is OK. However, if the consumer decides to spend $50 more and get a Glock as an example, SA may need to rethink the strategy because of the loss of volume. Perhaps the extra margin will make up for volume.

One thing I do know, most on this board "sell" XDs to people who are torn between XDs and Glocks, and SA gives us little attention. If SA cared, they would return phone calls and give AJames an answer on his forum t-shirt. We, the consumer, made the XD the "Handgun of the Year", not Springfield. If this issn't true, the HS2000 would have been the "Handgun of the Year" too.

Another Rant (that is two today),
Old School
We used to have some folks from SA that monitored this board. If I remember correctly they even responded to a few of our questions here.
Seems as though "Springfield Kim" comes to mind.

But, as you say, now that they've hit the big time with their XDs, I guess they've forgotten where they got their start.

But I have an HS2000 anyway.........!

bd

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought my XD back in March and paid $360 for it which was the going rate in town. I went to the same gun shop two weeks ago and the price was $490! If I could just find stocks that go up like that I would be alright. :shock:

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
flttster said:
I bought my XD back in March and paid $360 for it which was the going rate in town. I went to the same gun shop two weeks ago and the price was $490! If I could just find stocks that go up like that I would be alright. :shock:
I heard that!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
$500 sounds very high. My XD40 Tactical was marked $439 with two hi caps and I talked him down some because I bought my XD9 Service at the same time.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My first XD cost me 498 in May of 03'. they were moving out the doors quickly in my area and dealers couldn't keep them. the Subs and the and .357 sigs didn't move much.

All of my other XD's i have purchased at least 10-15% off of that price.

If i have to pay 550$ for an XD, i would probably just buy the Glock... I hope SA is reading. By the way i love my 1911 Loaded....

RM

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was contemplating an XDSC, but if SA's raising the price, I think I'd just as soon invest it in something different. While my experience with SA has been limited to buying the gun, and making an inquiry about if they would be giving out free hicaps like SW and a few others did, and their reply was that they would exchange them but first I had to fork over $70. I can appreciate them wanting to cover themselves for the expense, but other gun manufacturers gave them away free. I'm starting to get the feeling Old School is right on this one, SA's feeling mighty "high on the hog" and doesn't remember its the average joe shooter who's put them there. Perhaps in time they'll get past that and remember where they came from. :)

Matthew

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
One redesign is the firing pin or striker, the new ones have a shorter pin that does not stick out as far. seems more durable for constant dryfiring.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not a firearm industry insider, but I do some costing of machining and materials for a major manufacturing company.

The dollar is very weak against the Euro, which means that it buys less.

Steel that I bought last year for $0.30 a pound is now $0.61 a pound. Plus there is a surcharge, determined by the manufacturer at the time of sale. Some alloys and sizes are much more, that is just for common free machining steel in large qtys.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If I'm going to have to dump $500+ on a subcompact to conceal that once used to be $100 cheaper, I'll go with a Glock 33. More accessories available anyways.

SA need not get a big head with the market. Their BS of fixing a firearm faster than shipping out a ballcap didn't exact thrill me...jacking up prices $50+ each just won't cut it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I paid 350 I think for my XD9 service not much more than a year ago probably. I thought it was a heck of a deal. I'd like to somday but a subcompact again, but at a price of 550, I can get the Kahr PM9 that is much more concealable. I don't know.

Just remember, there have been many of us who used to say that the XD was cool enough that we would be willing to pay more than we did for them. Guess we got our wish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW I paid $389 + tax for my XD SC in 9mm last month (mid-December, Salt Lake). I visit the store often and will keep an eye on it. Might have to get another one soon -

I actually wasn't going to be buying the day it came home with me, but after reading the reviews and prices here I jumped on it. But, isn't that how it always goes

·
Registered
156 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Although if the price goes up they need to fix the recoil assemblies.
It wouldn't hurt if they did a better job with the finish. I have owned mine for 3 1/2 months and already showing quite a bit of holster wear. Granted I have drawn and reholstered about a billion times. I will probably take some pics tonight and email SA and see if they will refinish my XD9. I have been waiting on a buddy to get setup to K-cote. He said he would do it for about $35. I figured that way I can get all the metal parts done.

Finish problems and $50 higher price tag is a good way to to sell G19's.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The only problem I have with the XD's is the finish.

If the price is going up 9% to put a better finish on the XD and a better extractor, I'm all for it.

If the price is going up 9% for a shorter firing pin that nobody has had serious problems with, I call it bullshit.

My next gun was going to be another XD-9... but I won't pay 9% more for the same exact gun with the same exact problems.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Yes unfortunately the gunstore is corect, but I was told 9% from the distributer. Thats what you get the XD wins handgun of the year twice and the price goes up. Although if the price goes up they need to fix the recoil assemblies.
they need to fix alot of things IMHO

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
at least you can find XD's. I remember a couple years ago when noone had them in stock

·
Registered
47 Posts
What are those problems?

------

I will be turning 21 this year and have been very interested in the xd 9 service but if the price goes up I just might fork over another 100 or 200 to get an HK.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts