Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if XD pistols have ever been issued by any law enforcement agencies in the U.S.

i looked on the web and the only thing i found was a mention of croatia military use on wiki

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've heard of some. I don't know of the top of my head though. There have also been many that approve the XD if the officer prefers to carry it over the standard issue. I unfortunately will have to carry the GLOCK when I start. But at least I know it's reliable!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I heard somewhere here on the forum that Georgia State PD issues them, not sure how accurate that is. I've heard that more and more PD's are allowing officers to carry their own chosen weapon, as long as it is on the approved list.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The Houston Police department authorizes the XD for use along with the Glock 22, the M&P, and Sig. There is no official duty pistol. Officers must purchase their own weapons regardless of which one they choose.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I was driving from Dallas to Abilene this past summer.
I stopped at a gas station in Santo, Texas and a county sheriff was carrying an XD as a duty weapon.

I also saw a few Dallas county sheriff's department guys buying XDs in my favorite gun store.
I don't know if they were for duty weapons though.......

·
Registered
948 Posts
i seen a houston pd at a store one time on duty he had a 1911 45 acp he said he was able to carrey it but if it something ever happen to it he would have to go to 40s&w that was a 1st for me it was kool to see some1 carey 1911:cool:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't know if I like the idea of carry what you want. If things get bad and you need an extra mag who knows what the next guy has and if it is compatible?? I hope they at least mandate a caliber selection.

For things like vests, lights and such I can see offering a list and then choosing. I wouldn't want to wear a one size fits most vest that is my last life-line.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I wouldn't want to wear a one size fits most vest that is my last life-line.
Not to offend but I think the one size fits all vest thing kinda goes hand in hand with being able to pick your own firearm. Glocks just don't do it for me, though I'm sure with more practice I could be able to shoot it more accurately. I trust my XD and it's what I'd want to carry if I was an LEO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ghost is absolutely correct -

One of the reasons why some departments allow a choice is that they don't subscribe to the one size fits all policy for a duty weapon. Having been responsible for training officers myself for many years, it is a bad policy to pick one gun for general issue. From a logistics standpoint it's easier but ultimately you will be forcing some number of officers to carry a gun that doesnt fit them... The end result is usually poor performance and training won't fix that fact.

Regarding the "I'm out of ammo, give me some of yours" - Doesn't happen much from my research. And even if it did, my response would likely be "you should of aimed" - I won't be giving up my ammo in a gunfight, sorry.;)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I sold a narc K9 to a Sheriff Dept up here in Texas,,,(I think he was from Oklahoma actually). But they issued the .40 fullsize XD. his was OD green for some reason, probably to match the Sheriff garb colors.

This was probably 4 years back, it was the first XD i had seen. Of course, i thought it was just a Glock knock-off back then....then I had my eyes opened:shock:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ghost is absolutely correct -

One of the reasons why some departments allow a choice is that they don't subscribe to the one size fits all policy for a duty weapon. Having been responsible for training officers myself for many years, it is a bad policy to pick one gun for general issue. From a logistics standpoint it's easier but ultimately you will be forcing some number of officers to carry a gun that doesnt fit them... The end result is usually poor performance and training won't fix that fact.

Regarding the "I'm out of ammo, give me some of yours" - Doesn't happen much from my research. And even if it did, my response would likely be "you should of aimed" - I won't be giving up my ammo in a gunfight, sorry.;)
I pretty much agree with everything you said :) I know from my experience in the military, not everyone liked the Beratta M9's. I could shoot a golf ball at 25 yards with a M9, but I had at least one buddy who had trouble hitting an entire sillouette at that same range. He swore he could shoot better with a HK USP. We went to one of the local ranges one weekend and he rented a USP, and sure enough, he could plug a two inch group at 25 yards.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Apples and oranges of course...but this might work on the mean streets of TX, but on the battlefield any statement like above would result in an immediate azz-whoopin' once back safely inside the wire.

I see both pro's and con's with/without uniformity. Considering the threat in most local towns/cities...and gunfights mostly consisting of a one-way cop vs BG shootout...individual carry would get my vote.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My department has the XDM-40 in the T & E phase currently looking to replace the Glock 40cal as the issue weapon. Decision is expected in the first quarter of 2009.

As to the uniformity in order to trade ammunition a study from years back said it really is a non-issue as they had no gunfights reported where it would have changed the outcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Apples and oranges of course...but this might work on the mean streets of TX, but on the battlefield any statement like above would result in an immediate azz-whoopin' once back safely inside the wire.

I see both pro's and con's with/without uniformity. Considering the threat in most local towns/cities...and gunfights mostly consisting of a one-way cop vs BG shootout...individual carry would get my vote.
Didn't mean to offend you with my position here - I didn't mean to indicate I would turn my back on a brother in need obviously, but this argument of ammo share for LE is just pretty rare. I've worked in more places than the mean streets of TX as well.... Still in the end, it would be pretty freakin rare for me to give up ammo as a LEO. YMMV of course...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nighthawk, if u dont mind what department do u work for ? im really suprised that theres not one agency that hasnt picked these up yet .. they really are a great gun

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Didn't mean to offend you with my position here - I didn't mean to indicate I would turn my back on a brother in need obviously, but this argument of ammo share for LE is just pretty rare. I've worked in more places than the mean streets of TX as well.... Still in the end, it would be pretty freakin rare for me to give up ammo as a LEO. YMMV of course...
You didn't offend at all. From my past and current experience, I just can't think of any time I would ever use your statement "you should have aimed"....as an LEO or Mil.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ok, I'll give on the mandatory uniformity for LE service pistols but I'm still going to stick with the uniform caliber. If you cant toss a mag then at least you can give a handful of rounds. I know this is rare, but people don't quote the boy scouts for nothing.

Regarding the general class military, everything needs to be the same for supply chains and such.

My $.02 (of entirely non-military / LEO experience!!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts