Springfield XD Forum banner

XD or XDm

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Kaboom 
#1 ·
I will be going this Friday to put either a XDm in .40 or an XD in .45ACp on layaway @ Cabela's. This will be a CCW gun and range gun for me. WHich would better fill the bill?? All opinions are welcome since you all have a ton more experience with this platform. Thanks!!!:cool:

#2 ·
Depends on what the bill is.

There is the whole 40 vs 45 debate, and you will have to decide that one.

The XDM has the match grade barrel and replaceable back straps while the XD does not. Either gun will be reliable and backed by a great company. The XD is probably less expensive than the M, so take that into consideration.

#3 ·
i have the xd 45 compact and it conceals very well in my cross breed. the regular xd will be cheaper then the xdm but the xdm looks so much better. but i am very happy with my xd and the fact that it conceals very well

#4 ·
well the xdm is a large gun for ccw you might want to go with xdsc then see if you want the 40 or the 45.40s&w is carried by most pd and is a bit cheaper than the 45acp.as far as ammo,and holds a few more rds. :cool: it will over all be up to what fells right to you.good luck!!!!

#8 ·
well the xdm is a large gun for ccw you might want to go with xdsc then see if you want the 40 or the 45.40s&w is carried by most pd and is a bit cheaper than the 45acp.as far as ammo,and holds a few more rds. :cool: it will over all be up to what fells right to you.good luck!!!!

I can conceal my full sized, 5" barrel, 1911 without any problems. Being that the XDM is smaller than that, concealment should not be a problem.

#17 ·
well i am certainlt biased as you can tell by my name. if this is your first handgun i would recomend the 45 over the forty. the ammo is more expensive, but the recoil on the forty is a lot more noticeable and could get you into bad habits like healing and anticipating recoil. i have shot fortys and they all kick like a mule on steroids... ok maybe not that much. the xdm i wanted in 9mm, but after fondling it at the store the trigger was not what they had advertised imo. seeing as the 45 with no match barrel shoots better tahtn i can i can't see paying that much sor a pistol that has a match barrel and the same trigger as my 45. that's my $.02:)

#18 ·
Nope, not my first handgun.... The one forty I did have was a baby eagle....It wasn't to bad IMHO. Standing at 5'8" 200, I don't think I'll have too much trouble hiding either pistol.....:cool:

#19 ·
Well. As there are no XDm 45acp models yet. If you pick 45 you will have to go with the XD.
If you go 40SW then well. Your choice.
I alway say you are better of going to a in door range that will let you rent the guns you are looking at. Try them out for your self then buy the one you like.

#23 ·
I CC the 45 4" compact, uncle mikes size 15 soft holder in the small of my back. No print, no issues...and a very happy camper. I have a 9mm and .38 that haven't left the house since I bought my 45. I have no desire for another purchase anytime soon.

Good luck.

#24 · (Edited)
I personaly would go with the XD .40. They are a bit cheaper, and ammo is also a bit cheaper. Not too big either for carry :)
There is such little difference in price between .40S&W and .45acp that that should not be used as a decision criteria. .40S&W in WWB is like $29.95 and .45acp WWB is $31.95 at Wally World. So don't make your decision based on that. It is all personal preference. Which one feels better in your hand. Which one looks better to you and which one do you shoot better. I would think as far as concealment they are both about the same thickness and only 1/2" difference in length so they should be pretty comparable there. Just my $0.02. Good luck in your hunt. (I don't think that you can go wrong either way you decide to go).

#25 ·
There is a biger gap in price here in Indiana between .40, and .45. Also I do not understand this whole thing about .40's having so much snap. Ok I did own a CZ 40 4" and a CZ 45 5". The 45 deffently had more recoil. Every 45 I have ever shot has had more recoil. The best thing you can do is find what best suites you. My opinion unless you are trying to stop a bus, there is no need for a .45. Again that is my personal opnion.

#26 · (Edited)
The 1911 should be quite a bit thinner than a XDm ...
The 1911 slide/frame is thinner, the 1911 grip is the same or actually thicker ( depending on what grips you have ) than an XD-45 but has an oval shape compared to the more squarish XD grip.
I also think the "match" barrel is a bit overhyped since I doubt you could really demonstrate any difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.