Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of years, I have owned a Springfield XDm (match) 9mm and a Springfield XD subcompact 9mm. The XDm is a great gun, has a very good trigger (for a striker fired gun), feeds all ammo and shoots an accurate group. The XD is smaller, the trigger is worse, and grouping is so-so.
Yesterday at the gun show, I traded into an XDs (s for single stack) in 45 auto. It's about the same size as a S&W Shield and goes into the front jeans pocket without a problem....great for a concealed handgun. The problem, Springfield must be using the original XD trigger, so aiming and shooting is not so precise. I wasn't sure if this gun should be a keeper or not, so on my way to the gun show today (Saturday) I left early and stopped at the range. I ran 5 magazines full through the gun (because it's 45 caliber the mags hold 5 rounds ea). 10 rds Russian steel case ball, 10 rds my brass case reloads and 5 rds Remington +P Golden Saber JHP factory ammo. The gun ran like a swiss clock with all ammo. No function problems at all.
The grouping, however....just medium. The trigger and short sights make it best as a close in gun. Recoil with 45 ammo was hard. For me manageable, but not pleasant.
Bottom line, if you are considering a Springfield armory pistol, stick to the XDm....the only one worth having. (just my opinion...with limited data).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I will completely disagree with your opinion and say that in my opinion, the XD-S is the only pistol in the XD line that has a decent trigger out of the box. I will also disagree with you that the XD-M is the only one worth owning. The XD platform (all three models) is a solid platform. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
All .45, re the triggers: My 4.5" Xdm was okay. Had it massaged by a 'smith, now at 4.5 lbs. My XDS was much better, with a 5.5 lb pull, and is my daily carry. Not touching it. My new compact 3.8" is the best of all, right out of the box. Just a pleasant feel altogether.

It appears the factory is doing it better and better as time goes on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I own both the XDs and the XDm. While both trigger groups are very different, both are pretty good. My advise would be to get the PRP spring kit for your XDs and have it installed (minus the reduced striker spring). It will reduce the trigger pull and make it more manageable. Also, while you have it apart, take some metal polish (non-abrasive) and polish the metal to metal surfaces (kinda like the Glock .25 cent trigger job) which will take a good bit of the grit out of the trigger pull. While it still won't be as good as your XDm, it will be much better.

Here's all the places I polished:

Striker face that contacts the sear

Safety plunger

Sear face

Trigger bar that contacts the safety plunger

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
To each their own, I've owned a few XD's, two XDM's and a few XDs guns. The only one I have left is my awesome XDs 4.0 in 45 ACP. For me, of the three, the XDs has the best trigger out of the box, then the XDM and XD. I think the triggers or okay, very smooth but not crisp enough for me and the reset a bit long....for me. I will say I own and owned all sorts of brands and the XD/XDM line has been probably the most reliable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was trying to decide between xd and xdm. I went xdm because I could change out the back strap and it fit my hand better. Hurts to pay more tho.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I own both the XDm compact and XDs 3.3. The XDm I bought new and has been the best pistol I've ever owned, hands down. The XDs I bought used and recal fixed, and it has been exceptional also. Though the trigger is not nearly as smooth as my XDm. All are still stock..
But I bought the XDs for 15 yrds and closer to put my (not so lucky) apponent down with massive trauma!

Practice, practice, practice and your groupings will improve, trust me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts