Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i have some money and the clearances from the wife, ones for her, to get a few new additions. i want a pistol that i can rely on if the SHTF and is made accordingly. Every experience with the XD has been great, though i only own 1 myself, for now! i put my money into a couple of good AR's, LWRCI M6's with some bells, mainly optics-ACOG on one and eotech on another. Still must adress long range but for now, its pistols and a mossberg 590A1.

so i have the XD40SC and love it! originaly planned to go with two sub compacts and a tac in 40. the wife and i would have mag interchangeablity and all the other plus's if having the same weapon.

now i am torn as to whether the XDM is worth the extra money and if its just as tough as the original. i kinda like the idea of the 5.25 in .40 as an addition to what would be a pair of 3.8's and a 4.5.

Due to a rare nerve disorder i would like to have something with a possible MRD milled into the slide for quicker, easier target aquistion. Would like to silence them down the road if possible as well.

so would you go with the "m" line or the original if you were basically starting from scratch?

apologies for my lack of knowledge if its been discussed before, i cant seem to get the search function to work for me.:oops:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice, 2 more! Sounds like a great plan!:D

XD magazines and XDm magazines are not interchangeable, so that may influence your decision. :(

IMHO, if you and your wife shoot the XD well, operate the functions (like the mag release) and it fits you and your wife, then there may not be a whole lot of reason to go to the XDM. I absolutely love my XDm and it is a well built pistol, no doubt capable for the purpose you give. But interchangeable backstraps, a differently textured grip, or an easier to reach mag release aren't really an advantage if both of you shoot an XD effectively already - you don't really need those. Hit their website and see if the differences will really benefit you and her.

You didn't mention if she already is a shooter or if this will be a new experience for her. If she's an experienced shooter and is experienced and effective with the XD, drive on. And kudos to her and you!!!

If your wife does not already shoot your XD40SC effectively, or any pistol, then a really important step in your survival plan is insuring she has a gun she shoots effectively, not one you can, and that may or may not be the same gun as you, or even the same manufacturer. This is where an XDm may be better for her due to the interchangeable backstraps . . . . but then again a Glock or an M&P or a [insert pistol here] may really be the ticket, so get her out there shooting a variety so she finds what works for her.

If you want some degree of being able to share rounds, then go for the same caliber pistols, so at least you're covered there. If you're in it so deep that you're both tossing magazines back and forth ala "Mr & Mrs Smith" then my friend you should have those two AR's in your hands!!:shock:

Good luck to you, and enjoy your continued shooting with the most committed backup you may ever have!!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, so i have some money and the clearances from the wife, ones for her, to get a few new additions. i want a pistol that i can rely on if the SHTF and is made accordingly. Every experience with the XD has been great, though i only own 1 myself, for now! i put my money into a couple of good AR's, LWRCI M6's with some bells, mainly optics-ACOG on one and eotech on another. Still must adress long range but for now, its pistols and a mossberg 590A1.

so i have the XD40SC and love it! originaly planned to go with two sub compacts and a tac in 40. the wife and i would have mag interchangeablity and all the other plus's if having the same weapon.

now i am torn as to whether the XDM is worth the extra money and if its just as tough as the original. i kinda like the idea of the 5.25 in .40 as an addition to what would be a pair of 3.8's and a 4.5.

Due to a rare nerve disorder i would like to have something with a possible MRD milled into the slide for quicker, easier target aquistion. Would like to silence them down the road if possible as well.

so would you go with the "m" line or the original if you were basically starting from scratch?

apologies for my lack of knowledge if its been discussed before, i cant seem to get the search function to work for me.:oops:
I quickly decided that, as much as I liked the XDM, the extra cost could not be justified for my home defense needs.

Match grade barrel...at 5-25 ft., who needs it ?
Interchangeable backstraps...the XD9 fits me fine.
Batman-cool looks won't kill a home intruder any better.

I bought the XD9 Service and am very satisfied with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts