Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had my .40 bi-tone for about 1 1/2 years and love everything about it. The way it fits my hand, points naturally, shoots accurately, easily field strips and the price compared to anything close. I had a little trouble with feeding on mine when I got it, but it was easily fixed if you like doing things yourself (mainly because of info I got on this forum), or SA will take care of any problems you have if you're not a DIY'er. My XD is more than worth any small problems I had at first and I have had no failures of any kind in over a year.

I haven't seen any bad reviews of XD's, but I have seen some negative posts in this and other forums. Keep in mind that people are more prone to post negative things than positive. For every problem posted, there are probably 10 X that number of satisfied users you don't hear about. People also tend to notice negative comments more than positive. You should also check the negative posts for the successful conclusions to their problems. Guns are manufactured mechanical devices and not every one that comes out of the plant is going to be perfect.
I assume there are reasons you chose the XD in the first place, so give it a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if you are, let us know, you won't have any trouble selling it.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a poll of the percentage of satisfied to dissatisfied XD owners on this forum.

Pat

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a XD40 Service and Sub Compact. The Sub Compact had 2 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds fired. It has been perfect since then. The Service has had no malfunctions. Neither gun has a rust problem. If you read the forums for different makes of firearms, you will find that any mechanical firearm can have problems, even the perfect Glock. :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have had the tactical .40 for a couple of months now and have probably put three hundred rounds through it and have had no problems. I dont know about you bu i go to the range once a week. The price of ammo from th 9mm to the 40 is a difference of about 6 dollars, This adds up. You can get a conversion barrel to make a 40 a 9mm which is cool and costs about $150.00 at pistolgear.com . I went for the fourty because of this reason. Eventually when you shoot you want something bigger and instead of buying a new gun you can just have the barrel to save money on ammo.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
hunterbynature said:
Just put an xd 40 in lay away, but after reading some bad reviews about it dont know if Ichose the right pistol. Any Input from anyone would be helpful. Thanks
Bad reviews where? I have only seen good reviews. And very good reviews. And excellent reviews. Not one single "bad" review.

"Every now and then in history, something outstanding comes along, something that stands out from the norm so much that it fairly leaps into the spotlight.......So it is with the Vukovic-led Croatian design team engineers who designed Springfield Armory's XD-9 9x19mm pistol. Although they're probably not aware of it, they created something significantly better than anything that came before"

http://www.chucktaylorasaa.com/SpringfieldXD9.html

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=551

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/st_0302_springfield/

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not only did I find great reviews while investigating the gun on the net, my local gun shop told me the XDs fly off the shelves. I was a little bit worried of getting one of the bad apples we hear about, but knowing there was a lifetime warranty and that the vast majority of XD owners on this site had zero problems, quelled my concerns.

The gun shoots terrifically with no FTF/FTE yet (only 200 rounds through it, no reloads yet). I wouldn't say I've tried to make it rust, but I've purposely handled it and put it back in the safe with out wiping it down and not a problem yet.

If you haven't shot one yet, I encourage you to. Once you feel what a great shot it can be, I bet you will be willing to play odds that you won't get lemon.

BTW- Being an obsessive compulsive gambler, I can tell you that I would bet copious amounts of money on the XD knowing I would come out rich every time :lol:

Sheesh… and I told myself I would never get involved in a thread beating this dead horse.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Every one has an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. So here is mine I have been shooting pistols for about 20 years and have owned a few, and right now I have 1911s,a 2011,XDs a Glock a couple of Kahrs, and some revolvers to name a few. They all work.
As far as XDs go one of my carry guns is an XD40s&w 4" and that gun has about 1000 to 1200 round through it without any problems, and the other XD is a tactial also in 40s&w and that has almost 3500rds through it and that one I have only had since the first week in July and it has worked just fine.
So I guess my opinion, for what it is worth is when you pay off the one on lay away put some money down on another XD.
You can't have too many guns!

Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones advise, I chose the xd40 cause the way it fit in my hand and when you pull it up the sights line right up, no problems lining up.The other reason is my buddy has a springfield 1911 and raves on it. Again thanks everyone

·
Registered
201 Posts
i find the internet as a troubleshooter, most people who owns a firearm that functions properly has no reason to go searching on the web, if i have problem with anything, i go to the computer and look it up, that's probrably why when you try to review a gun or anything at that, you'll hear bad things about it because people post their problems with products trying to figure out what's wrong, i've owned two xd-40 and they are wonderful pistols, when i sell, i keep comming back, just bought a new one today, xd-40 ported

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congratulations on your new buy.

At least on this forum you get the good with the bad, and if you post a problem some one will post a solution. I had a small problem and got a fix on line in a couple of hours.

I just picked up a XD40 SC, and put night sights on my carry gun ( an XD40 Service Model) today, now I hope I can get to the range tomorrow, tried today but it didn't happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New owner, I made the decision to buy an XD .40 due to the discussions on this board, it was very helpful. I am on 2 weeks Active duty (Navy) right now and have not had more than 50 rounds shot with her, but I love it. Going home the end of this week and can't wait to fire it up.

Ordered Don's Guide and #22 Spring today also from Pistol-gear.com, also managed to make the gun show in Hampton Roads last weekend and picked up a new RRA lower reciever for my AR-15 build.

So you could say that I have had a good two weeks....thanks all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
As far as XDs go one of my carry guns is an XD40s&w 4" and that gun has about 1000 to 1200 round through it without any problems, and the other XD is a tactial also in 40s&w and that has almost 3500rds through it and that one I have only had since the first week in July and it has worked just fine.
WOW! :eek: 3500 rounds in 3 months! I need to get to the range more!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
+1

I only have 200 rounds through in a week. :?

·
Registered
889 Posts
You would think with that many rounds down range I would be a better shot by now.
The Service mod I have had for about two years, and the Tactical is for IPSC so I have practiced a little with it.
I picked up a XD40SC Sunday, shot it yesterday for the second time before work, now I have about 250 through that one, and it works great. I just wish I could spend more then half an hour at a time at the range when I can go.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
250 rounds in a half hour??? Last time I went, I think we were there for about an hour and a half or so. But then again we had 4 guns, 3 people and about 600 rounds... ok, so I guess 250 in 30 minutes isn't too fast.

·
Registered
540 Posts
hunterbynature, i have an xd-40 service and i absolutely love it. i also own an HK USPcompact and if i have to reach for one in case of an emergency... i'd grab the xd. Thats just how much i've grown to love it. I love the usp as well, but nothing fits so nicely in the hand and after getting used to that... its hard to go to something else.

My xd has given me only two hiccups in the oh 3-4 thousand rounds i've put through it. The first was probably due to jsut some reloaded ammo that didnt agree with the xd(ftfeed). Even that only happened with one round out of the 250 of those reloads that i shot. The other time was a premature slide lock. HOwever, i suspect that even that may have been due to a stray thumb. Never ever had any fte or ftf with my usual target ammo wwb.

I think you'll find that you made a good choice with ur xd and enjoy the gun very much. Happy shooting!

-Eric.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts