Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to shoot my 3rd IDPA match next week. I stink at it, but that's why I'm there...to get better!

I've always shot my XD9, but I wanted to try the 1911 at the range this weekend. Here's my dilemma.

The XD feels better for carry, and very reliable (once I learned to keep my thumb away from the slide release).

I trie dthe 1911 (full size) and was definitely more accutare with it. Only thing was, the slide would not lock open after the last round.

Acurracy must be atrributed to the longer barrel and heavier weight. But it just doesn't feel right on my hip. XD feels like it belongs there.

Maybe I just need to learn to shoot the XD better.

What to you guys think?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Normally if the slide doesn't lock back it's a magazine issue. As much as I love my XD9's and want an XD45, I miss my 1911. I think I hear a SA GI 1911 calling my name :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a Mil-Spec and it's great, just bought an XD this morning and wished I haden't waited so long to get one. Long live SA:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a 1911 and XD instructional DVD set are needed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Get a nice 1911 with some quality mags and use it for matches. Use the XD for carry since you are so comfortable with it. I really liked my 1911 (before I sold it), getting the urge to buy another.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think your good either way. I'm very comfortable with the ergonomic compatibility between the XD and 1911. I find the transition from one to the other really seamless. Shooting both in IDPA, I don't really notice the trigger reset difference. For bulls-eye, the 1911 shines.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I'd suggest you'd keep shooting what you intend to carry, unless you're primary purpose is sport/competition, in which case, go 1911 all the way.

I find the transition not so seamless. About two - three mags worth the get the "feel" of the trigger again when I switch guns. Hands down I shoot my 1911s better than the XDs.

Both are very capable for match and carry - just depends ultimately on your time and money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got both; I like both. XD magazines hold more rounds but are harder to load. The trigger on the 1911 is much smoother.

On an emotional level I really prefer the 1911 but then my "hands-on" with that weapon goes back to 1949. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I plan to shoot the Xd for IDPA. If the righ topportunity comes along...I'll sell the 1911.

I know it's crazy. but I shoot the 1911 better, but the XD feels better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The XD is lighter weight and the recoil seems less.

I shoot both with about the same accuracy.

The XD is a good choice for IDPA if it is your carry gun. You will get more practice in, and, the two extra rounds in the mags will make the IDPA event more fun (slightly fewer reloads and/or more "make-up" shots).

·
Registered
271 Posts
I Shoot Both my 1911 and XD in IDPA & USPSA... Since my XDm hasnt come in yet, i check out the course and if it involves long range (25yrds+) steel disks i choose the 1911 for better target acquisition, tho i love my XD.... Get a Trigger Kit or Job and your accuracy will improve with a set of nice sights... but always practice makes better.

I use my XD 80% of the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't sell your 1911, you will regret it! I have 3 1911's and an XD .45ACP Compact, and they are different breeds of weapons. I think the reason you are more accurate with the 1911 is probably the trigger. In my 1911's the trigger is way above what my XD is.

The manual of arms is different for each weapon, and the 1911 takes a bit more attention, as it must be carried cocked & locked for carry readiness (I know the XD does too), and the sight of a cocked hammer tends to upset some. They are easy to conceal, and usually very accurate, but may take a bit of tinkering to run with lead SWC ammo.

On the other hand the XD is very user friendly, out of the box accurate & reliable (except with lead SWC), but to me at least has a very mushy trigger.

From a 30 year love affair with the 1911, I carry my XD...because it is user friendly & accurate, and I don't mind if it shows the wear of carry, but sell my 1911's, that is un-American!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'll just hang on to the 1911. Work with it here and there. Shot my 3rd IDPA event tonight...wiht the XD. Man I am stoked! I put all shots on paper, nith mo procedurals and no failure to neutralize! Heck Yeah!

Oh, the AGI XD DVD from PistolGear is on it's way. Trigger job and tritium sights are on my list of modifications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts