Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a 45ACP. I have a 9mm XDm 4.5 and a SA 5" 1911 in 9mm. I would like to know what advantage does an XD or XDm have over the 1911 other than capacity? I may CC this and possibly do a IDPA or USPSA with it also.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You already own an XDm and a 1911 in 9mm and you're asking for opinions about the same two weapons in .45 ACP? Having one of each in 9mm, I would think you are one of the best qualified individuals to answer your own question.With that said, I own an XD45 Tactical and I've owned a SA 1911 Loaded ... they are two very different weapons. Advantages swap back and forth between the two and are somewhat related to opinions that I've formed about SD weapons. YMMV

·
Registered
638 Posts
Capacity shouldn't be an issue because you can get hi-cap double stack 1911s in 45 acp from several companies, ie: Para Ordnance, Llama, Kimber, STI, even Springfield has one.

Other than that, I agree that you are the best judge since you already have one of each in 9.

Go to a range where you can rent one of each in 45, and you'll figure out real fast what you like best.

Or you'll decide to buy one of each.

I have XD45s and Para Ordnance 1911s in 45. I like them both.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Its going to come down to trigger if mag capacity is not an issue. I personally prefer thin guns such as the 1911 and I like the ability to tune the gun to my loads by swapping out main springs and recoil springs. The trigger on a 1911 is a world apart from an XD trigger as well. All of that being said, the XD may feel a bit softer shooting due to the plastic absorbing some of the recoil but with a properly tuned 1911, they shoot pretty darn soft.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its going to come down to trigger if mag capacity is not an issue. I personally prefer thin guns such as the 1911 and I like the ability to tune the gun to my loads by swapping out main springs and recoil springs. The trigger on a 1911 is a world apart from an XD trigger as well. All of that being said, the XD may feel a bit softer shooting due to the plastic absorbing some of the recoil but with a properly tuned 1911, they shoot pretty darn soft.
+1 :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that is sounds dopey that I would be asking this question, having an XDM and a 1911 in the same caliber. I love my XDM for these reasons. The grip is not too big (small hands), no malfunctions, trigger is nice with PRP match kit, (still a little take up, but nice for XDM 3.5 lbs with nice clean break). I don't have to monkey with a thumb safety. More accurate than I am. What I like about my 1911. The grip is nicer than XDM, nice trigger 4lb break with hardly any take up after trigger job, more accurate than I am. I guess it comes down to how it feels. I chose the XDM over a Glock and Sig because of the comfort of the grip. I think if the recoil is managed better with an XDM and the grip isn't too big I would go that route. Now upgrading could be an issue due to the availability of aftermarket parts. That is where the 1911 rules.

Scott

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
To the OP,
Since you already have an XD and 1911, you should be able to best answer your own questions.

1) Concealed Carry - do you think the slimness of the SA you own would be easier to conceal than the XD. If so and CC is going to be a primary function, then go for a single stack 1911 frame.

2) If you shoot the XD as accurately as the 1911 then the equation of how many rounds it carries becomes a determining factor.

3) If you are going to carry this gun around, consider the weight. You can get alloy frame 1911's that will get the weight down towards what a polymer gun would weigh, but in my experience you get more felt recoil from an alloy 1911 than you would with the XD.

4) Is this for CC or Competition - One that is good for one of those will probably compromise the other. As an example, take your SA 1911 in 9mm and then compare it to a SA EMP. The EMP will be easier to conceal and the full sized 1911 would probably fare better in the competition circles.

If you want to customize the critter to no end, get a 1911.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Basically boils down to what application are you gonna use the weapon for?
If your going to beat the gun up go with the polymer frame XD. You dont have to baby it as much as you do with a steel frame 1911. :)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Basically boils down to what application are you gonna use the weapon for?
If your going to beat the gun up go with the polymer frame XD. You dont have to baby it as much as you do with a steel frame 1911. :)
You don't have to baby a 1911. Do you thinkg our Special Forces guys are babying theirs or the guys that carried them in WWII?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on the weapon and the application. I would baby a 2000$ Les Baer 1911 more then a Mil spec WW2 1911 for sure...

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Depends on the weapon and the application. I would baby a 2000$ Les Baer 1911 more then a Mil spec WW2 1911 for sure...
I don't baby my Baer at all.

It's my EDC, has been shot in the rain, gotten plenty diry...and keeps running like a champ.

And you may want to look at WWII GI 1911 prices...I'd more likely baby a Singer 1911 than any of the current high-end semi-custom and custom 1911's out there...;)

FWIW, I think it was Wiley Clapp did a test a few years ago with 1911's, putting them through a torture test, including a Wilson--the tight tolerances tend to keep dirt out, and ran just fine.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
1911. Because John Moses Browning said so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't baby my Baer at all.
I wish I had a few grand to throw around but I dont. My nickel plated Springer Loaded see less fingerprints then my Xd. :) Maybe I should get a Mil Spec to beat up but I cant right now. Sorry if it sounds like im leaning towards the Xd. Im not trying to start any flames here. If I did be on the 1911 side. John Moses Browning all the way. Im just trying to help out the Op by explaining the differences of both weapons. They are both fine. Which one do you prefer?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I wish I had a few grand to throw around but I dont. My nickel plated Springer Loaded see less fingerprints then my Xd. :) Maybe I should get a Mil Spec to beat up but I cant right now. Sorry if it sounds like im leaning towards the Xd. Im not trying to start any flames here. If I did be on the 1911 side. John Moses Browning all the way. Im just trying to help out the Op by explaining the differences of both weapons. They are both fine. Which one do you prefer?
I have a Springer LW Compact that I have refinished twice now and it has been shot int he rain, carried in the woods, etc. Its a real shooter. My $2,600 STI 2011 has been used in compeition shooting in rain storms, dusty range courses, etc. never gave me a hint of trouble. My STI Spartan I refinished before I ever carried it and its been shot in matches, carried in the woods, gone into mud holes with me, etc. All guns function 100% and do great. Expensive guns are not all bought just for looks but truly reliable shooters. Guns with finish wear can get a new look by being refinished. I carry what shoots great, whats comfortable, and what holds up. My guns don't look like they are beat up but they dont look like safe queens either. A 1911 with the proper finish and care will endure everything the XD will hold up to.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
The 1911, hands down. I honestly am leaning more and more to it being the best .45acp platform out there, period. I also think that of one desires higher capacity than a single stack 1911 offers, that there are several excellent doublestack 1911 options.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an XD .45 and a 1911. As a former Marine I will always have a warm spot for the 1911. It was the first pistol I qualed with in the Marines (later the .38 and then the 9mm). But if I knew i was going to a dog fight I would grab the XD. No question about it.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I have an XD .45 and a 1911. As a former Marine I will always have a warm spot for the 1911. It was the first pistol I qualed with in the Marines (later the .38 and then the 9mm). But if I knew i was going to a dog fight I would grab the XD. No question about it.
If I knew I was going to a fight I'd bring a rifle.;)

The 1911 is a truly proven battle pistol, and has proven again and again itself for 100 years, in worse conditions than any torture test could dream up.

Name one war the XD has been in...:shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts