Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
ianjbs said:
I have been seriously considering an xd for a house gun, but after reading the reports here of the slide locking back mid-magazine on the .40 and .357 models, and seeing as how many of these instances have occured without the shooters thumbs coming into contact with the slide stop, I have reached the conclusion that this weapon is not reliable for self-defense. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Does this happen with the 9mm? If not, what kind of stopping power would I be sacrificing in comparison to the .40 or .357? I hope there is some way to justify the purchase of one of these pistols, because I really do like them. Any thoughts? I should clarify that the malfunctions that I recall reading about were a result of a round in the magazine coming into contact with the slide lock as they moved upward in the magazine. Is this not a design flaw?
Wow, where does one start with a response to such a post! Well, here it goes. First off, I apologize in advance for the length of my reply.

Buy something else. Go to that forum. Have a nice life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
450+ rounds through my XD 40 SC since I bought it new and not one single FT anything. Absolutely 100% reliable thus far and I have thrown a variety of factory loads through it. Oh and by the way, I experienced this reliability without ever cleaning or lubricating it since firing the very 1st round through it out of the box. It's very 1st cleaning was 4 days ago after 3 months of ownership and putting the afore mentioned 450+ rounds through it. How's that for reliability? 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Mr. Swiss,
The .357 Mag is "Git'er done" squared,
no questions asked.

My XD 9mm has 600 rds. thru it w/o a prob.

Its my back up gun to the Ruger P 90 and Ruger GP 100

If I had the tactical training, the shooting skills, the Practical shooting experiance to carry the .357 , it would be my first choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I have to say that my most recent trip to the range with my XD-40 Subcompact resulted in 150+ rounds of problem free fun. I trust this weapon without question. I also have a Service Model in .40 cal which is also completely reliable. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I skipped to the end...

XDs are more than reliable enough IMO from what I've seen the last few years on several different ranges, LE and civilian.

May not work as well in some hands as others, but ya can say that about any gun, including some that have a long history of LE/military use.

The standards for the next service handgun, the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol) are a minimum of 2000 MRBS (mean rounds between stoppages) and 5000 MRBF (failures).

The SA 1911s the FBI selected for their SWAT teams fired 20,000 rounds each, 40,000 rounds total, w just 3 stoppages in testing. Thats a MRBS of 13,333, or about 5 times what they were required to do to pass.

The P228/M11 fired 15,000 rounds (5000 x 3 guns) w just one malfunction for a MRBS of 15,000. Beretta M9s have logged MRBS of 17,500. The CZs for the PCR logged a MRBS of 2142...

Lottsa good guns out there today. Get one ya like, or like the one ya get. ;)

Home defense? I use a Marlin 357 carbine w Rem 165g JHPs. Not too loud, light recoil, and handles fast. Makes a great club when it's empty too. In the gel from a carbine through 6 layers of denim that 165g JHP does over 1700 fps/1000 ft lbs and about 15 inches and .75 caliber; that'll leave a mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My XD-9 has about 3K rounds through it and a John Farnum class with zero malfunctions. As far as claiber, this 9mm vs 45 arguement has gone on for years, as bullet design, and ballistics has marched on. I know of two well known trainers, both once die hard 45 guys, who now endorse 9mm. I stake my life daily on Winchester 127 gr. SXT +P+. 100 gr. POW'R Ball by Corbon is also a winner. Find a gun that is right for you, that you can afford to shot regularly, and get some trianing

·
Registered
1 Posts
STOP! STOP! STOP! You are right, the XD is not reliable enough for you. And I refuse to try and justify it to you.
In fact, if you base your gun purchase decision on what you read from "experts" on the internet, whom you have never met or even seen.
Rather than cold hard facts based on intelligent research, you have no business buying a gun! Get yourself a baseball bat.
Don't buy a XD, save them for me. Buy a "block" or a SIG or whatever.
Just don't buy that unreliable XD. That way the price will stay low and there will be more for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't found any cold hard facts based on intelligent research that documents the XDs performance in comprehensive LE/military trials.

If anyone knows where there are some, please share them.

Regardless, I have seen enough XDs work well enough often enough in enough different hands for long enough that I would trust them with my life. YMMV. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
well, i recently went to glock, then to sig. i had 2 xd's a 4" and a sub, plus a glock 17. the sub was flawless but the 4" xd had problems from day one, and it was almost 2 years. its possible to simply get a bad gun. its all about finding whats right for you. dont let what you hear alter your decision too much. most people will only complain if theresa problem. so think of all the xd's out there without problems. my 4" xd no doubt could have been fixed probably with just a extractor replacement. however i used this as an excuse to sell it to buy something different.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts