Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously considering an xd for a house gun, but after reading the reports here of the slide locking back mid-magazine on the .40 and .357 models, and seeing as how many of these instances have occured without the shooters thumbs coming into contact with the slide stop, I have reached the conclusion that this weapon is not reliable for self-defense. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Does this happen with the 9mm? If not, what kind of stopping power would I be sacrificing in comparison to the .40 or .357? I hope there is some way to justify the purchase of one of these pistols, because I really do like them. Any thoughts? I should clarify that the malfunctions that I recall reading about were a result of a round in the magazine coming into contact with the slide lock as they moved upward in the magazine. Is this not a design flaw?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Yea go to any other talk group and do a search for ftf or jamming and they have the same stories. look up limp wristing over at glock talk you will find a lot of threads.

In other words all guns can jam, certian people just have the luck to do it more often.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Buy one...worst case scenario is the slide accidentally locks open...you will know this well beforehand because you will put a ton of ammo through it at the range gettting aquainted with it right??? If it does lock open then send it to Springfield and they fix or replace it.
They have a lifetime warranty that they do stand behind. All you have to do is treat the person who is helping you with respect and they will do whatever they can...at least that has been my experience.

No Pistol or gun is perfect but IMO these come darned close as far as personal defense is concerned.

I have had 0 FT Anything with my .40 with quite a few rounds through it.
I have had two FT Fire with my 9..however it was withoubt a doubt the ammunition's fault.

I am as pleased as I can be with both of them.

If you want the 9 because you think it will be more reliable then go for it. It will put a person down just as easily as the .40 if you know where to put the bullets. :)

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If its going to be purely a house gun I would recommend going revolver. A decent one is in all honesty probably more reliable than most autoloaders. You pull on the trigger, it will go bang. A nice 4" revolver in .357 won't do you wrong, except your eardrums. Plus, unlike alot of autoloaders, a revolver isn't real picky about what kind of ammo you feed it. 7 rounds of .357 will put down just about nething on 2 legs.

A good .357 round is in a league of its own. Well not really, cuz a good 40SW round comes close, better than 10mm :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
That's why you train.

You go to the range. You go to classes. You shoot a lot. You learn everything you need to know about your gun. You learn how to clear jams. You learn how to avoid activating your slide stop prematurely. You learn tactical reloads. You learn how to use cover. You train so that a 2 shot double tap center mass is instinctual at 7 yards. You learn how to assess and then apply follow up shots as needed. You teach your family to shoot. You go through scenarios for emergency situations. You do everything you can to make sure that you are prepared to defend yourself and your family if you have to. That's why you bought a gun, right?

People who feel safe with a large caliber gun and then don't train and practice until they are competent and confident with it are just giving themselves a false sense of security. The minimum level of competency that you want to reach is to be able to draw your weapon from its holster and put 2 shots center mass at 7 yards in about 1.5 seconds. That's how fast an attacker can cover that 7 yards. You can then move on to fail-to-stop drills and other scenarios where follow up shots are needed.

I have an XD-9, and I feel completely comfortable with it as my primary home defense gun. I'm confident that 2 in the chest and 1 in the head from in-home ranges will do the job much more effectively than if I had a 357 Magnum revolver that I was trying to shoot double-action while recovering from excessive recoil. I'm also confident that I can place those center-mass hits every time, almost without thinking. I would not feel any safer with a .40 S&W or .357 SIG. In fact, I would probably feel less safe because I would use the higher cost of ammo as a ridiculous excuse to not train as often.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Oh, and since you asked, my XD-9 has been 100% reliable. No failures or stoppages of any kind.

Haven't you asked this same question before? I checked your other threads and people have given some pretty good responses. You may want to revisit them.

As far as justification for purchase, I'm fully convinced that the XDs are the best deal in semi-automatics available, period. For the money, you can't beat them.

And I see it over and over again. Every time I hand my XD off to someone who's shooting some other gun, they immediately improve their times on the steel plates. There's something about the XD that is inherently pointable. Its grip is completely ergonomic. I really think it was almost blind luck on the part of the original designers, but they sure hit a home run with the grip design.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't speak for any other caliber than 9mm. I have been carrying and shooting competetivley for 30 years. I posted previously that at a class my 1911(KImber Series II safety model) failed several times to fire. The instructor lent me a T9 he was experimenting with(not his carry gun). I fell in love.
The one problem was the slide would not lock back on the last fired round. No big deal. Speed reload and slingshot the slide and in two seconds I'm back up. I posted here that little old arrogant me could not be the problem so it must be the gun. I ordered a new guide rod and spring.
Well, confession time, it was me. The stop lever is a little thick and you have o get use to it. I shoot thumbs forward in FistFire and my off hand thumb base was slightly resting on it. Shooter error! I learned to slightly roll it out to the left away from the frame and problem solved. Lockback every time.
Everyone has given sound advice. You made the toughest choice of all, getting the protection for yourself and family. No gun platform or design is perfect for everyone and every hand. We do the best we can. My advice would be to find a range that rents guns and fire as many models as possible.
I had never even held an XD until that Tactical Class and I outshot anything I have in my collection with it. SOme that cost 4 times the price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anything that has moving parts can and most likely fail at some point. I carry a XD 40 service daily. To this point I have had no problems. The key to keeping any piece of equipment functioning properly is maintenance. That doesn't mean that every now and then that something won't go wrong. I spent over a 100 grand a couple of years ago for a new chiller at work. It was a top of the line Trane and it undergoes a rigorous PM routine. Last week it blew a compressor. Thing can go wrong, but I would be willing to stake my life on the XD and I will until it proves me wrong.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I see a dead horse, and I can't help but kick it as I walk by.

ALL different brands/models of firearms can and have failed at some point. If you want a foolproof weapon with 99.9999% reliability, buy a knife.

·
Registered
218 Posts
XD9 is utterly reliable. that's the only one i own, so i cant speak on the .40S&W or .357Sig, but...thousands upon thousands of rounds of all different types sent down range with combat accuracy, daily carry, never failed me. ever.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
NiK said:
I see a dead horse, and I can't help but kick it as I walk by.

ALL different brands/models of firearms can and have failed at some point. If you want a foolproof weapon with 99.9999% reliability, buy a knife.
Knives break too :wink: But to help you out, I've never had a single failure to feed, fire, or eject. ONE time I had my slide lock open when I didnt want to due to too high of a hold on the firearm (my thumb engaged the slide release lever.oops.)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Read to the bottom of the post. The mod is an easy fix if it's needed, and it is explained at the end of the article.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15563&highlight=

I probably have close to 2500 round through my XD-40 since I wrote this up, and the one & only time I have locked the slide back since then, was when I let my thumb get up on the slide stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have all raised good points. I'm just somebody who is able to find any small problem and inflate it out of proportion. Seeing as the remedy is a simple fix involving removing a small amount of material from the slide lock, I'm gonna go with an xd .40 service model and fix it if needed. This does, after all, seem to be the best pistol deal going. Thanks everyone for weighing in, i truly appreciate it, and I now feel better about this weapon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you'll be perfectly well served by an xd (though if it's just for home defense, i'd keep it as a backup to a good shotgun).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agreed. A good shotgun loaded with buckshot will clear the house quick, and the XD is the perfect tactical backup. You've got a rail for your light, you've got a tactile loaded chamber indicator and a tactile striker indicator. You've got 10/12 shots per magazine, and it comes in three sizes and calibers to suit your need. I take my XD outside, inside, and way into the boonies. No druggie, thug, or criminal is going to be happy robbing my family. 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
:idea: Stand REAL still. I will fire one round of 9mm HP into your center mass and you tell me ( provided you are able to speak ) how it feels. :cry:

For my next trick, I will fire one round of .40 HP into your center mass and then you tell me ( if still breathing, although probally not ) your first hand comparison of the two in regards to trauma..... :shock:

Third and encore.......... I don't think the.357 will be an issue to you in regards to injury due to the previous rounds very well serving their pupose. :lol:

:arrow: The moral of my demonstration is that placement of the round (in this case 9mm) is equally if not more important than size. A 9mm is well enough adequate for personal defense. A .44 MAGNUM would not do you any good if you can't hit the target. I have heard many people remark that a .22 short is just enough bullet to pi$$ someone off if hit with it but I have NEVER heard anyone volunteer to allow a .22 short be fired point blank into their temple. :wink:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
jkswiss said:
If its going to be purely a house gun I would recommend going revolver. A decent one is in all honesty probably more reliable than most autoloaders. You pull on the trigger, it will go bang. A nice 4" revolver in .357 won't do you wrong, except your eardrums. Plus, unlike alot of autoloaders, a revolver isn't real picky about what kind of ammo you feed it. 7 rounds of .357 will put down just about nething on 2 legs. A good .357 round is in a league of its own. Well not really, cuz a good 40SW round comes close, better than 10mm :)
After owning hundreds of guns; the only malfunctions that I could not rectify immediately, have all been with revolvers. I have had cylinders lock up, main springs lose their tensions, Cylinder releases lock up, screws pop out. I don't buy junk, these were primarily from new guns made by S&W, Colt, Ruger and others. I now own zero revolvers as a result of this.

ranburr

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the 40 cal 4" service model. I have put over 300 rounds through it so far with no problems. I am a police officer and I carry this gun with me everyday, on duty and off duty. I trust my life with it. No offense, but just learn how to shoot and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
595 Posts
For someone to question as to whether a 9mm round is reliable is absolutly absurd. If the 9mm is "under powered" then why do most Military and LE forces use it as primary sidearm ammo? These rounds are also used in many rifles and sub machine guns. A .44 Magnum cartridge is not a cheap round round to fire and it still must hit the targert in order to be effective. A pistol is designed for close combat, not sniper fire at 1000 yards. It has a specific effective range.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts