Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a new gun by the end of next month and have a long time to decide.

Right now im looking at the Springfield XD, Glock 19, HK P7, etc.

My main goal is CCW. Im looking into a SA XD9 4" Bi-tone. I was wondering how the finish was on the black models and the bi-tone models. Im not a big fan of a LCI, and the striker out the rear, so thats probably going to turn me off to it, but Im sure this has been asked before so sorry if it has. Just want some input, I dont suppose I can get one with that stuff deleted?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Curiousity is getting the best of me. Why don't you like a loaded chamber indicator or striker cocked indicator? Both of these allow you to determine the readiness condition of the gun without looking at it. Neither of them is obtrusive and can't be seen by anyone unfortunate enough to find himself on the business end.

There are three XD's in my household. I have two with black finish, one is coming up on two years old, never any problems with either of them. The older one does show show wear from being carried and used, but I expect that.

The bi-tone belongs to my son who carries it IWB everyday for the last 18 months. After two weeks of hot summer weather he did notice a little brown haze on the left-rear of the slide where it is next to his body. A light rubbing with a cloth and a wipe with a silcone rag took care of that. No biggie.

Get the one that fits you best and suits your needs/wants.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel the LCI and striker indicator are useless to me because the gun will always be loaded, and I dont like the placement of the LCI on the top of the gun. Im sure I can get over it.

However, I love the feel of it. The trigger is great, I love the grip safety, and the grip itself. Im aiming for the bi-tone because holster wear wont be as ugly, and while I know its a tool, I like the stainless look better anyways.

On that note, price is a big factor too. The used XD's seem to be nice and cheap, but new seem to be about the same as a G19. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a XD9 4" Bi-tone?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
ClearDark said:
I dont suppose I can get one with that stuff deleted?
Neither of those are optional items, so if you have that serious of a issue with them, look elsewhere. For reference, I believe that the extractor on an HK P7 also doubles as a LCI.

If price is a big factor, how did the P7 end up on your short list?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JD,

It depends on what model P7. I am okay with most gun's LCI, as the extractor is the LCI, and the one used by HK just barely moves, as well as Glock, both are utterly useless. I just dont like the idea of it being on the top of the gun.

Also, my price does contradict, but I will have about a $1000.00 budget, and the P7 falls in there, but I would rather spend it on something cheaper like a Glock or SAXD, they all shoot the same anyways, and have enough left over to buy a good CCW rig and ammo, the P7 will be an impulse buy if anything. Of course, only the P7 PSP falls in my budget lines.

·
Registered
347 Posts
ClearDark said:
I feel the LCI and striker indicator are useless to me because the gun will always be loaded, and I dont like the placement of the LCI on the top of the gun. Im sure I can get over it.

Think of it as an unloaded chamber indicator. If the indicator isn't up, you forgot to chamber a round after cleaning it (or whatever). A far more dangerous condition in a carry piece than a loaded chamber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what your saying. I treat every gun as if its loaded, whether or not it is. I wouldnt have a problem with it if it wasnt on the top of the slide, but basically its saying the gun isint for me.

Thanks for the helpful input. Who knows, I may get one just yet.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
ClearDark said:

However, I love the feel of it. The trigger is great, I love the grip safety, and the grip itself. Im aiming for the bi-tone because holster wear wont be as ugly, and while I know its a tool, I like the stainless look better anyways.

On that note, price is a big factor too. The used XD's seem to be nice and cheap, but new seem to be about the same as a G19. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a XD9 4" Bi-tone?
Im aiming for the bi-tone because holster wear wont be as ugly,
Holster wear is a thing of beauty. You'll learn that later on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you could just remove the indicator, if you care that much.

personally, i've never noticed it while using an xd. it's not exactly the most visible thing in the world.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
pauli said:
personally, i've never noticed it while using an xd. it's not exactly the most visible thing in the world.
I can think of one case where, in retrospect, I wish I would have noticed it. USPSA local match, CM 99-21 "Mini Mart" classifier, didn't get the mag fully inserted at "Load and Make Ready". Let's just say I learned a big lesson that day - a lesson better learned at a USPSA match than in a "real world" situation.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If I were you, I'd go to a range if possible and shoot several guns. I've had my XD Service for about a year, and shoot really well with it. I thought I wanted a Glock 26 for CCW, but I shot a G19 last week and was totally unimpressed by the grip angle, blockiness and mushy, gritty trigger. Now I'm really glad I didn't make a $500 mistake by buying a Glock without shooting one, and I now have my eye on a Kel-Tec P11 or a XD Subcompact. I'll probably go with the P11 honestly, because weight and size are both major issues with me.

I really think it's a bad time to buy a P7, as their prices are already overinflated due to the model being discontinued. If you're buying a safe queen, the P7 might be an investment, but if you're buying a shooter, I think an XD would be a great purchase.

In my opinion, the XD Service is a bit big for CCW. I feel the same about the G19 as well. Lots of people will contradict me on that though, so don't take it as gospel. Try it out and see - if you're comfortable with 2 lbs of steel on the hip 24-7, then go for it. I'm concerned about weight and comfort more than anything, because if I'm going to invest the $180 and 30 day wait it takes to get a permit in this state, I'm definitely going to carry as often as possible :) I'm convinced I can work out any bugs in a P11 as far as reliability goes, either with tinkering or just shooting it a lot to smooth it out.

Oh, and the LCI to me is not an issue. You can't see it when you're looking down the sights, and it doesn't snag or anything....basically it's just to keep the lawyers happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks once again for the input.

I have narrowed my search down to a Glock 19 or a compact 1911, like a Kimber.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts