• I have no opinion

• No, its lacking something

• That is the most hidious thing I have ever seen

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted opinions on this and dont seem to get much. Please post valuable comments, not IT SUCKS, or COOL. Say what you don't like or do like about it. I did this for two reasons, 1) the finish was so worn on one side that it was getting surface rust anytime I wore it in my SOB holster so I figured I would refinish it and if I am going to refinish something I am going to do it with something unique, and 2) I figured if I ever get deployed to Afghanistan where they are issuing multicam fatigues, I would prefer to have my own weapon than that POS M9.

So it was a 2 fold reason for this paint job.

The flash did make it a little on the bright side. It is a little bit darker than it looks.

Here is a better picture along with the other one.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I like the carry over of color onto the pierce extension. Looks very cleanly done with sharp lines and a nice color combination. Been thinking about getting od tiger stripes on my all black xdsc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the opinion. There is some great youtube videos on how to do duracoat. Just take your time, read the instructions several times, and whatever you do prep the surface really well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree, it looks like it was done really well. Not something I would ever do to one of my guns, but if it's what you like, then I say good job.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Not my choice of colors, but you did a fine job on it.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
It looks well done. I usually buy a gun for functionality and not for looks, but to each his own.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looks like you did an awesome job! I don't like to mod my guns appearance unless its performance (except for melting crayon in the "XD" logo, it increases accuracy)...In all honesty I think is looks like a toy in the pic where the safety flag is in, looks like some on shoved the barrel in backwards lol I do not think it is a bad job though. Good work!

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but a good job!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I kinda like it. I have limited vision, especially in low light situations such as an indoor range. Black everything, guns, range bags, etc. give me a hard time. Something like that might be helpful.

I've just never painted a lawn chair though! LOL

·
Registered
542 Posts
I couldent do it. Im so anal about how my rifles and handguns look. I wont even lay them down on wood at the range for fear that they will get a magical wooden scratch. I always lay my down in the case padding or on the plastic of the case. I just couldent dare even trying to paint them. :shock:

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments much.

Drop that in the forest and you'll never find it. :wink:
Thats why I never drop my weapons. The other is I would have to drop with it and do pushups. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldent do it. Im so anal about how my rifles and handguns look. I wont even lay them down on wood at the range for fear that they will get a magical wooden scratch. I always lay my down in the case padding or on the plastic of the case. I just couldent dare even trying to paint them. :shock:

I totally understand that. All the time growing up I couldn't build anything that wasn't perfectly square or symetrical. I don't know how or when I outgrew that mentality but I am sure glad I did. However I am still a perfectionist so I was very nervous about doing this at all. It turned out better than I could ever imagine (at least for me), and best of all I fixed the rusting problem I was having.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

The flash did make it a little on the bright side. It is a little bit darker than it looks.

Here is a better picture along with the other one.
Nice definition on the colors. My only issue is that it seems too light in overall tone. This may be flash related though. I just thought "multicam" had more dark tones? But for A-stan this may be the right color combination.

It just hit me... The feathered light green color to me overpowers the brown splotches. If I was doing it maybe lt tan base then add color splotches of the greens, tan, and dk brown.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I totally understand that. All the time growing up I couldn't build anything that wasn't perfectly square or symetrical. I don't know how or when I outgrew that mentality but I am sure glad I did. However I am still a perfectionist so I was very nervous about doing this at all. It turned out better than I could ever imagine (at least for me), and best of all I fixed the rusting problem I was having.
LOL I hear ya, I use to make speaker boxes all the time. If it wasent plum from the get go, it was gone. For some reason now I can not cut straight with a Jigsaw or Ripsaw...so I gave up the box hobby. :cool: On top of that my daughter just happens to always spill something on the subwoofers every now and then and magicly the tweeters fall out of the midrange too.....My daughter plays coy though. But I am ok with it haha.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I voted: It's great.

It's a good job on the camo, but definitely not something I would ever own. I have a hard time buying a gun that isn't all black if all black is an option. I should also note that I'm not opposed to using spray-paint as a firearm finish if there is a need for the gun to be a different color.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice definition on the colors. My only issue is that it seems too light in overall tone. This may be flash related though. I just thought "multicam" had more dark tones? But for A-stan this may be the right color combination.

It just hit me... The feathered light green color to me overpowers the brown splotches. If I was doing it maybe lt tan base then add color splotches of the greens, tan, and dk brown.

I see your point. The feathered tans didn't come through because they were the ones put down first. Hmm! I will have to think about that a little bit on how to make that come through in future projects. Here is the first and second layer picture.

in this picture I have put the masks on for the green.

I might have to feather back over the greens with the tan and light brown after to bring some of that back out. The big problem is that there isn't much space on the sub compact to get alot of different areas and feathering. Maybe on a full size or tactical version there would be and also any rifle obviously. Thanks for the input. Nice to hear from a fellow eagle scout.

here is a better picture yet. now you can see the Glow sights as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts