Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my EDC is a XD Mod 2 3" I have been wanting to install and carry a RDS for sometime so have been doing a ton of research on what RDS to get, if I should just go buy the 4.5 OSP, or have the slide milled on my 3"

It was a tough decision, especially as I could get the OSP right now for about 450 with the springfield +3 magazine promotion...

But....Long Story Short,

Excited to let everyone know that I I ended up going with the slide milling for the 3" (I Liked the option of the shorter grip for CCW when needed, 2-3 oz lighter than the OSP, and shorter barrel as I carry AIWB) ( As we all know I may end up with both anyway as it seems my carry gun continues to grow larger as time goes on....)

I sent my slide off yesterday (November 29th) to be milled and fitted for my Deltapoint Pro. I am also having rear and front sight installed to hopefully cowittness it, (We'll see how that turns out)

All the work is to be done by Galloway Precision. I have emailed them more times than I probably should have with questions, and they have been super helpful and nice.

I know there are not many pictures anywhere of a XD 3" mod 2 out there with any red dot, DPP, or the slide milled so I will keep everyone posted about the work, and will post updates and pictures when it gets back to me.

As of right now it is scheduled to arrive to them Friday Nov 30th or Saturday December 1st.

In an email they let me know that Turnaround time is 20 to 30 business days from the day they receive the slide in house. Not sure if that is when the work is done, or when I should have it back in my hands, either way seemed pretty fast to me.

Ideally I would love to have it back by Christmas as its fun to shoot on Christmas day, but I know that its not guaranteed!

Will keep you all posted if your interested in how it turns out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone, my EDC is a XD Mod 2 3" I have been wanting to install and carry a RDS for sometime so have been doing a ton of research on what RDS to get, if I should just go buy the 4.5 OSP, or have the slide milled on my 3"

It was a tough decision, especially as I could get the OSP right now for about 450 with the springfield +3 magazine promotion...

But....Long Story Short,

Excited to let everyone know that I I ended up going with the slide milling for the 3" (I Liked the option of the shorter grip for CCW when needed, 2-3 oz lighter than the OSP, and shorter barrel as I carry AIWB) ( As we all know I may end up with both anyway as it seems my carry gun continues to grow larger as time goes on....)

I sent my slide off yesterday (November 29th) to be milled and fitted for my Deltapoint Pro. I am also having rear and front sight installed to hopefully cowittness it, (We'll see how that turns out)

All the work is to be done by Galloway Precision. I have emailed them more times than I probably should have with questions, and they have been super helpful and nice.

I know there are not many pictures anywhere of a XD 3" mod 2 out there with any red dot, DPP, or the slide milled so I will keep everyone posted about the work, and will post updates and pictures when it gets back to me.

As of right now it is scheduled to arrive to them Friday Nov 30th or Saturday December 1st.

In an email they let me know that Turnaround time is 20 to 30 business days from the day they receive the slide in house. Not sure if that is when the work is done, or when I should have it back in my hands, either way seemed pretty fast to me.

Ideally I would love to have it back by Christmas as its fun to shoot on Christmas day, but I know that its not guaranteed!

Will keep you all posted if your interested in how it turns out!
I thought about it just like you but came to realize that at the end I was going to be spending just about the same amount of money getting a new one than getting the osp or sending the slide to get it work on with the co witness sights and everything else so long story short I got me a sig p320 Rx and I am very happy concealing it believe it or not it feels lighter and I feel like robocop when I go to the range very accurate and my Springfield warranty I still have on my mod2 3 which I love to carry too AIWB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about it just like you but came to realize that at the end I was going to be spending just about the same amount of money getting a new one than getting the osp or sending the slide to get it work on with the co witness sights and everything else so long story short I got me a sig p320 Rx and I am very happy concealing it believe it or not it feels lighter and I feel like robocop when I go to the range very accurate and my Springfield warranty I still have on my mod2 3 which I love to carry too AIWB

I wish it wasn't the case, but I just dont feel comfortable carrying +1 in the AIWB position. I "know" that if its in the holster its not going off.... I Know this, but dont feel it... But to me, I find comfort in the grip safety. Maybe time will help that feeling going away. If I didn't have that "feeling" I would have saved a few hundred bucks for sure in going with a P320RX or Glock 19, OSP etc. I had already bought a backup XD 3" for CCW as I found it for a good price, and have a $$ holster so I stuck with it, Hopefully I made the right choice long term! The P320 RX does look super nice tough. Have yet to shoot one though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought about too cause the mod2 it’s my first edc weapon too and was concerned about the same thing but what I do is make sure i holster the weapon before I put on AIWB and from there it won’t move until I get home and take off and by the way if you shoot the p320 trigger it’s very light and to rack it it’s a lot smoother than the mod2, I hope everything goes well and please post some different pictures of it when it comes

·
Registered
153 Posts
Galloway did my XD9 Mod 2, and I’m a happy camper. It has a Shield RMS that co-witnesses with stock irons. Here are a few targets testing different loads while I was still getting it zeroed in early summer (20 rounds each, 10 yards, offhand).

It now sits in an AIWB holster from Custom Carry Concepts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Galloway did my XD9 Mod 2, and I’m a happy camper. It has a Shield RMS that co-witnesses with stock irons. Here are a few targets testing different loads while I was still getting it zeroed in early summer (20 rounds each, 10 yards, offhand).

It now sits in an AIWB holster from Custom Carry Concepts.

Wow, That looks awesome, I almost went with the Shield RDS, but had read some concerns regarding the lens and that it was hard to clean, or that you had to use a special kind of cleaner on it. Have you experienced any of this? Also whats the battery life like on it?

Lastly did you have it cerakoted after the milling was done, or any kind of protection on the milled surface?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow, That looks awesome, I almost went with the Shield RDS, but had read some concerns regarding the lens and that it was hard to clean, or that you had to use a special kind of cleaner on it. Have you experienced any of this? Also whats the battery life like on it?

Lastly did you have it cerakoted after the milling was done, or any kind of protection on the milled surface?
Shield recommends WD-40 electrical contact cleaner on cotton swabs, but I've found distilled water works well for the initial wipes followed by the electrical cleaner to eliminate streaks. The loaded chamber indicator arm had to be removed so the optic would sit low enough, and the LCI slot allowed chamber gasses to blow back on the optic face, so I filled it with gray Permatex high temp silicone gasket patch and cut it level with a razor blade after it dried. Problem solved, and 2000 rounds later there's no sign of the gasket working loose. The gray is close enough in tone to the stainless slide it's not very noticeable.

Battery life has been fine so far. I've had it about half a year, and there's no sign of weakness. With the slide out battery tray it will be easy to replace without affecting zero.

The slide is stainless, so I didn't bother with cerakote or other treatment.

Looks great, and I'm sure it performs. But it looks like off the shelf holsters are all useless now.
Many kydex holsters are available with optic cuts, for about the same price as off the shelf. A Vedder Light Tuck I had before the optic was easy to modify with a dremel and cutting wheel. I'm a fan of buying quality since I'll probably carry this for decades, so ordering from Custom Carry Concepts wasn't a big deal to me, and the Gestalt holster was worth the wait for a purpose built AIWB setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Slide was delivered to Galloway Precision on Friday November 30th. More updates to come as I get them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sry! I didn't think anyone cared! Here's the update.

I am very happy with the work that was done and my new carry piece. I received the pistol back a few days before Christmas which was great! They were done a little earlier than the lead time that they gave me to begin with.

Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I like the looks of it. I have the same gun. How much did you spend to get the job done?

It looks great!

Joe
It's $45 for them to install the rear sight insert and front suppressor height sight combo that is installed in these pics so you can cowittness.

It's $125 for the mill work and you pay shipping both ways via USPS Flat Rate Box Insured. They install your optic.

I did not have any additional cerakoting done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts