Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Shot our new XD Mod.2 Sc today; ran a good number of rounds through it so thought I'd give it a clean when I got home. I had cleaned/oiled it once previously (out of the box) in preparation for it's maiden trip to the range.

The problem: When cleaning the recoil spring assembly (just wiping it with a cloth; nothing crazy), the "front" end of the recoil spring popped off - and I can't get it re-seated.

XD Recoil Spring (side).jpg XD Recoil Spring (front).jpg

Hopefully, the images will show in this post and you can see what I mean.

I've tried pushing and rotating the spring to get it back in the normal, compressed (i.e., completely contained by the rod), but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
XD Recoil Spring (side).jpg
XD Recoil Spring (front).jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please bear in mind, when I say "clean" I'm just talking about rubbing a cloth over the outside of the spring and making sure there is no lint or other debris in the recoil spring assembly.

I did reach out to Springfield and they are sending a replacement recoil spring assembly; via FedEx bicycle carrier apparently. It shipped yesterday and the expected arrival date is 5/1.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Did some material break off of the spring or that guide-rod's endcap on that side? :eek:

That would be my best-guess, because that thing is not supposed to self-disassemble (or, for that matter, be end-user disassembled for servicing)!

Glad to hear that SA is taking good care of you. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was going to say that if it will still go back into the gun, it doesn't necessarily need to be captive for now. You could probably still use it in the gun without it being captive, much like the full size XDMs don't have captive guide rods... it will just be a pain to get into the gun, that's all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some material break off of the spring or that guide-rod's endcap on that side? :eek:

That would be my best-guess, because that thing is not supposed to self-disassemble (or, for that matter, be end-user disassembled for servicing)!

Glad to hear that SA is taking good care of you. :)
As far as I can tell, nothing broke off. I think it was a case of manufacturing tolerances allowing a little too much play on the front end of the guide rod, perhaps?

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to say that if it will still go back into the gun, it doesn't necessarily need to be captive for now. You could probably still use it in the gun without it being captive, much like the full size XDMs don't have captive guide rods... it will just be a pain to get into the gun, that's all.
I tried that, but the recoil spring assembly will not seat properly with the spring extended like it is. The diameter of the spring itself is wider than the end of the guide rod and doesn't fit flush in the end of the slide.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I tried that, but the recoil spring assembly will not seat properly with the spring extended like it is. The diameter of the spring itself is wider than the end of the guide rod and doesn't fit flush in the end of the slide.
Ooof! That's rough. Hopefully their bike messenger will make it to you sooner than next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts