Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering one of these as my next purchase. Have handled each..Primary use
is concealed carry and range use,and of course, informal plinking etc.

Have some concerns that the 5" is a bit large for ccw , however, I have previously carried full
size 1911 IWB with no issues. With grip frame being the same, barrel length is not an issue with IWB.

Just curious to hear feedback from those who have had experiences with each, in terms
of use, holster selections, carrying, etc... Which one is a better general purpose model. I suspect the 4" but
that longer sight radius of the 5" sure is appealing.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering one of these as my next purchase. Have handled each..Primary use
is concealed carry and range use,and of course, informal plinking etc.

Have some concerns that the 5" is a bit large for ccw , however, I have previously carried full
size 1911 IWB with no issues. With grip frame being the same, barrel length is not an issue with IWB.

Just curious to hear feedback from those who have had experiences with each, in terms
of use, holster selections, carrying, etc... Which one is a better general purpose model. I suspect the 4" but
that longer sight radius of the 5" sure is appealing.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the exact question I was planning to post. However I placed an order with my dealer for the XD Mod 2 Five inch 9mm.

XDG9401BHC 5" TACTICAL MODEL 9MM BLACKThe reason is he stated the longer barrel has softer recoil. Note that in New Jersey, drop the HC from the Model # and it comes with Ten rd. mags.
The HC means 16 Rds. but NJ has 15 Rd. limit.
All advice welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
5" is large for concealed carry. Not impossible considering the only difference between the 2 guns is barrel length. If you are buying a carry gun get the 4". It's a good compromise between range use and carry. If you think you'll ever shoot competition go with the 5".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5" is large for concealed carry. Not impossible considering the only difference between the 2 guns is barrel length. If you are buying a carry gun get the 4". It's a good compromise between range use and carry. If you think you'll ever shoot competition go with the 5".
Thanks for the input...I agree...5" Probably too big ...4" much easier. Not much chance of competition...Just casual range use and some CCW. I think 4 will do. Now....Black or bitone?? Decisions decisions.....

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I bought the Bi-Tone 4" for the wife, but that was before the Tactical model, still the Service was a good choice as it "Clears leather" at the range a inch easier and she is 'Altitude impaired' so it makes a difference at the range. I think you might see the same improvement trying to draw from concealment. Bi-Tone gets the edge in cleaning I think.

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
If you've carried a gov't model and were comfortable with it, you can carry the 5".

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
....that longer sight radius of the 5" sure is appealing.
Without knowing you from Adam, I'll ask this simple question - with absolutely no other implications: it is just a simple question.....

Can you honestly take advantage of that longer sight-radius? :)

If not, then I pose that this is just an excuse to make yourself feel better - an attempt at a logical justification - and that what's really the crux of the issue here is as you've cited and as others have already mentioned: that you're plenty comfortable with a full-size handgun.

And if that's truly the case - just go with the bigger gun. :)

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Thanks for the input...I agree...5" Probably too big ...4" much easier. Not much chance of competition...Just casual range use and some CCW. I think 4 will do. Now....Black or bitone?? Decisions decisions.....
Black will eventually wear off with leather or some of the Kydex holsters.
Bitone, just a rub with "0000" steel wool will keep it looking like new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know this isn't on your list of options, but the 3" subcompact is a pretty damn accurate gun for its size. The shorter grip conceals much better under clothing, and it still takes the full sized magazines.

It's accurate enough for me to do pretty well in informal league competitions, where the emphasis is on movement, concealment, shooting through openings, etc. at distances out to maybe 40' max.

I haven't shot the 5" version, but I do know I'm not THAT much more accurate with the 4" than I am with the 3", at least not in these types of shooting. I see the groups shrink a bit out beyond 30', but since carry is what's most important there, distances beyond that aren't of much concern to me).

I can't imagine concealing that 5" beast :) Have you tried the subcompact?

Note: if I decide to invest in a dedicated range gun, or start doing USPSA-style competition, then I very likely will get a 5" tactical model. I love the XD platform and I'm used to it, and plus I can keep using all my extra mags :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
For me the barrel length is less of a problem than the grip width and length. When trying to conceal my son has the 5 inch tactical and I have a XD sub and a XD 4" and hands down we both shoot much better with the 5". My biggest problem carrying a 1911 is the weight and the handle length.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1st time poster from NJ here considering the same gun options, 5" XD Mod2 Tactical (XDG9401B or XDG9401S) leaning towards the Bi-Tone myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
1st time poster from NJ here considering the same gun options, 5" XD Mod.2 Tactical (XDG9401B or XDG9401S) leaning towards the Bi-Tone myself.
OR the XD Mod.2 4" Service Model (XDG9301)

Model numbers listed are for the NJ compliant 10RD mag options. PDF spec sheets attached for both below.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't carry. But the Mod 2 Tactical has nearly identical dimensions to a full size 1911. So if you are comfortable carrying that, the XD Mod 2 Tactical won't be any greater challenge, and I would guess to be lighter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 5" tactical is my favorite range gun. Just sent the slide to Galloway for milling to mount red dot and suppressor sights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is the exact question I was planning to post. However I placed an order with my dealer for the XD Mod 2 Five inch 9mm.

XDG9401BHC 5" TACTICAL MODEL 9MM BLACKThe reason is he stated the longer barrel has softer recoil. Note that in New Jersey, drop the HC from the Model # and it comes with Ten rd. mags.
The HC means 16 Rds. but NJ has 15 Rd. limit.
All advice welcome
Thanks
I like my Mod 2 (4") but that 5" sure is a pretty gun

·
Registered
150 Posts
Started with the Service 4.0 in Black, then got the 3.0 in FDE, love em both, now looking for a 5.0 :) my go to is the 4.0, just feels good and shoots great. did the PRP trigger kit on it and love it even more !! Clean Crisp ALL DAY. just put a few hundred through it today.

also got a TLR-6 for it, fits both NICELY !! probably mount it to my 4.0 since i plan to CC the 3.0 shorter Grip, easier to carry since i am a small guy. also that is the Pearce Extension and LOVE IT !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts