Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!! New guy here, and actually, this is the first "forum" I have ever joined. Anyway, I am a LEO and I am looking for a Level III Light Bearing Duty Holster for my Mod 2 9mm Service. I have carried for years in a BlackHawk Serpa Level III and love it. I like a high(er) riding Duty holster as it is easier to protect while scuffling with a bad guy and, honestly, it sits up out of the way of the seat-belt release in my patrol vehicle!! My current holster does just that. I love everything about it. Retention, ride, looks, draw, everything. I have not one complaint.

I want to add my TLR-1 light and begin carrying it on my Mod 2. BUT, there are precious limited choices in this arena regarding a Level III holster and a Mod 2. Basically, I have found the Blackhawk Omnivore and the Safariland 6360 (I believe). Both, though, are "generic" fitting holsters and, frankly, feel that way.

I contacted Blackhawk thinking, surely they have plans to release a Serpa Level III Light bearing since Springfield has released the Mod 2. WOW!!! Was I surprised at the VERY terse response. I was told that not only did they not make one, but they have no intention of ever making one. I don't know what Springfield did to piss-off BlackHawk but, apparently, they did it well. The newer EPOCH series by Blackhawk has no Springfield options either.

Since Glock and the XD are the two most prevalent LEO weapon platforms out there, this approach by Blackhawk doesn't seem right. I then called Springfield regarding the same issue hoping they might have a great suggestion, but, not so much. I kinda got a cold shoulder asking about it from Springfield as well as I did from Blackhawk. It felt like I had just asked two people filing for divorce about their marriage. Neither one seemed happy with me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Safariland. Order them for the XD or even the XD(m). Mod.2 will fit in them no problem.

I have made a habit of ordering my holsters for XD(m) and they fit all versions of XD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Safariland. Order them for the XD or even the XD(m). Mod.2 will fit in them no problem.

I did carry a regular XD and when I bought the XD Mod 2, yes, indeed, it fit the same BlackHawk Serpa Level III I was using perfectly.

My hesitation to switch to Safariland has nothing to do with Safariland or their products. It has everything to do with my training and years of muscle memory on the Serpa. The Safariland operates differently enough that I am afraid my draw would suffer in a stressful situation just because of the 100's (if not 1000's) of hours in training with the Serpa, especially the Level III. Yes, I am sure that I could retrain, yes I am a professional and should be capable of re-training, however, that is still my hangup in switching to Safariland at this point, and partially why I posted here.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Understood but unfortunately if you are wanting a Level 2/3 light-bearing holster for an XD variant, your choices are very, very limited. After all these years, XD still gets no holster love...

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed and Thanks!! Springfiled should try to bolster the holster love.

I ordered an Omnivore to "play around" with and see. I will put it on my duty rig practice with it, tug on it, get in and out of my vehicle, etc, etc, etc and see what I think about it before committing 100% to it.

Just wish BlackHawk would add the XD light bearing to the Serpa line, but, I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Since Glock and the XD are the two most prevalent LEO weapon platforms out there, this approach by Blackhawk doesn't seem right.

Glock is hands down the most prevelant. Likely followed by the M&P. Then Sig. I'd even go as far as suggesting 1911s are more commonly found duty guns. (Going off the top of my head. No real data to support.) XD is a prevalent platform, but considering the large market share Glock has, followed by M&P and Sig, there is a slim, if not niche, market for XD duty guns. XD may be prevalent amongst citizens as edc and hd weapons, I'm afraid there isn't a large need or desire for XD duty holsters. Holsters that are more desirable to the civilian market (alien gear, crossbreed, hybrid, kydex, leather,etc.) often have multiple options for the XD. Good luck in your search. I hope you are able to find the gear you need to continue carrying the XD without having to compromise.

·
Registered
29,746 Posts
Hey folks!! New guy here, and actually, this is the first "forum" I have ever joined. Anyway, I am a LEO and I am looking for a Level III Light Bearing Duty Holster for my Mod 2 9mm Service. I have carried for years in a BlackHawk Serpa Level III and love it. I like a high(er) riding Duty holster as it is easier to protect while scuffling with a bad guy and, honestly, it sits up out of the way of the seat-belt release in my patrol vehicle!! My current holster does just that. I love everything about it. Retention, ride, looks, draw, everything. I have not one complaint.

I want to add my TLR-1 light and begin carrying it on my Mod 2. BUT, there are precious limited choices in this arena regarding a Level III holster and a Mod 2. Basically, I have found the Blackhawk Omnivore and the Safariland 6360 (I believe). Both, though, are "generic" fitting holsters and, frankly, feel that way.

I contacted Blackhawk thinking, surely they have plans to release a Serpa Level III Light bearing since Springfield has released the Mod 2. WOW!!! Was I surprised at the VERY terse response. I was told that not only did they not make one, but they have no intention of ever making one. I don't know what Springfield did to piss-off BlackHawk but, apparently, they did it well. The newer EPOCH series by Blackhawk has no Springfield options either.

Since Glock and the XD are the two most prevalent LEO weapon platforms out there, this approach by Blackhawk doesn't seem right. I then called Springfield regarding the same issue hoping they might have a great suggestion, but, not so much. I kinda got a cold shoulder asking about it from Springfield as well as I did from Blackhawk. It felt like I had just asked two people filing for divorce about their marriage. Neither one seemed happy with me.

Um.

I don’t think the XD would even come in third after the M&P as far as LE sidearm use...I’m willing to bet Sig P-series or Beretta 92/96 would get that nod, and with HK’s being issued by federal agencies, it probably doesn’t even make the top 5.

There are no major agencies that issue the XD. No federal or state-level, and only a couple of larger PD’s. Some of the larger PD’s may authorize it for use, but they don’t issue it.

And SERPAS suck. There’s a reason a growing number of trainers won’t allow them in classes, and I’ve seen one fail, first hand in a class to due to crap getting jammed in one.

Do yourself a favor and switch now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The serpa is criticised for placing the trigger finger in a position to release the gun. There by having a risk of "sympathetic clench" or whatever the term is. I've run an issued serpa for about 9 years. I qual 4times per year. approximately 20 guys on the line most with serpas. I've drawn on probably 15 guys in my career without an nd. I've never observed the "clench" not saying it don't happen.

I prefer the serpa level 3 in a gun grab situation over the older safariland. the newer with the "hood"and the thumb switch I'm fairly confident in. The omnivore looked like a pos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mp74, I agree completely. The SERPA Level III is so intuitive and easy. It is my favorite and I have never had the slightest issue with it.

I did get the Omnivore last Thursday. I wore it "around the house" and drew several times to decide if I wanted to use it on duty over the weekend. It was very tight at first, but after many draw-and-holster routines, it got much better. I did choose to use it. I did have to draw on someone and subsequently clear the burgled house. I had no issue and having my weapon light for the house clearing was awesome! It was a day shift burglary, but once inside I needed the light to clear the home. Loved the TLR-1

My EARLY impressions.....1) it is more narrow, or closer to my body, than the SERPA by a small amount. Actually clears my seat belt latch better.
2) It has great retention. It really locks down well on the TLR-1.
3) no loose fit, no rattle, very quiet.
4) The belt attachment is not as robust as the SERPA Level III is, but, it seems more than sufficient. I do not think it would break under a significant stress being applied. Is it as strong as the SERPA...can't be.
5) Re-holstering was a bit rough at first, but, it may have been me more than the Omnivore. Once I learned to place the TLR-1 all the way back against the guide rail before going downward, it worked flawlessly.
6) my weapon was easily accessible while seated and belted in. Easy to retrieve should, God forbid, I have to while still in my car and belted in. The more I used it, the better it seemed to get. The front clearance is actually better than the SERPA obviously, because this is NOT a Level III so you do not have the slide cover and hood to have to draw over. and lastly
7) the thumb button release is not as intuitive as the SERPA thumb release is, but it is much easier than the Safariland because it goes straight down, not the push forward then back like Safariland, and it was still better than I had anticipated. It got easier to push as i used it and after I placed a couple of drops of silicone lubricant down into it.

Is it as good of a piece of kit as the SERPA?...No. Do I still want a Level III SERPA with weapon light for my xd?...Yes. Is that gonna happen?...Sure doesn't look that way. Is it better than the Safariland?...well, I think so. Another deputy has a Glock in a Safariland with a TLR-1. It dropped right into my Omnivore perfectly. He stood behind me and drew his gun from the omnivore a few times and he ordered one from his phone. He liked it a lot. I have never had nor used a Safariland, so, my opinion is limited.

So far, so good.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
I only handled the omnivore at a cop shop. Glad you like it. Not for me though. Just keep training and mind your gunside. Sure,you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, 3 years later, and I’m in the same boat. What did you end up going with? I found the safariland 6280 level 2 mid ride, not my preference at all, but If I have to switch from serpa and use safariland, I don’t want to struggle with a level 3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts