Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been wanting one of these XD Mod.2 5" Tactical's ever since I first saw them over the internet. Well a SINGLE local shop happened to have one in stock, and I just happened to have sold an M&P .45 full size due to the ergonomics not really being there for my hand-size, etc.

So I picked her up and went to the local range to shoot 50rds through her. I am definitely sold on this gun!
I like to start closer than farther when shooting, especially with a new gun. So I set out a 2.5ft x 3 ft cardboard
poster out on a stand with roughly 2"x3", 2"x4", 2"x5" pieces of green "duck tape" brand duct tape scattered
on the poster board. The target was set out to 5 yards, or 15 feet. This gun although bigger in size compared to
a Glock 19, fits my hand BETTER than the Glock 19 (gen 4 even). The grip is slimmer than the original XD line's
grip (the finger grooves are not extra space, the grip was actually taken in some and the finger groove bumps
are in line with where the original XD's front strap was). So the indents for the finger grooves are slimmer than
the original XD grip front strap, and the area where the web of your main shooting hand goes was taken in
just barely, but all of this combined - as well as the area taken in near where your trigger finger rests - makes for
a very comfortable grip.

When I consider owning a new gun, grip size and trigger reach play one of the most important roles for me due
to my hand size. This means most double stack handguns will not fit my hands, especially with a backstrap hump
like Glocks. If I own a 1911, I use slim or thin grips, not regular bulky grips.

That being said, the trigger reach on the XD Mod.2 5" Tactical leaves my finger fully on the trigger, whereas with
a Glock 19, I must shift my entire grip (or grip the gun and support it with my support hand and STREEEETTTTCH
my main hand, etc) just to reach the trigger properly. I believe if Glock cut out 80% of that empty space in the back
strap, their guns would fit the hands of folks with smaller hands. Well, the XD mod.2 fills this void in the handgun market place. If you have small or medium sized hands, short fingers, etc. you MUST get down to your local gun shop and just hold a XD Mod.2 9mm. Make sure it's a 9mm as that caliber will have the slimmest grip. If you want to be surprised, then ask to hold a Glock 19 or Glock 17. :D

On to the shooting -

The gun shot great. The trigger is buttery smooth, there is a bit of pre travel although not as much as some, but
more than others. The reset is a bit long, although it does give you a nice "click" when the trigger resets. I prefer a very short reset, but I can shoot the gun just fine without a short reset. In each piece of tape I aimed at, I got all my shots on the tape and in two of the pieces of tape I got 4 shots in one cluster, even though I was shooting at a medium/fast pace.

I also shot a piece of wood maybe 3" x 7" out at 25 yards and had no problem hitting it. I missed a couple times, although my shots were within inches of the wood. Definitely would have made decent hits on a torso-sized target at 25 yards, and for those with a very steady hand, you would most likely have a tight group.

I am stuck on this gun like glue, which brings me to my next point. The grip zone. I have read so many articles on the Mod.2 stating that the grip zone is similar to a "stippled" handgun grip, which applies a texture that allows your grip to really lock on to the gun even if your hands are sweaty. I have even seen numerous interviews with Rob Leatham where he claims this as well and makes a big point about how well the grip zone allows you to grip the gun(at SHOT show, on shows like Gun Talk, etc). I found this to be true, however, it did not provide near as much traction as I had hoped. I hoped to grip the gun and feel the grip cling to my hand as if I had a very light grit sand texture adhesive grip (Talon, Falcon, etc) on my gun. I did not feel this was the case. If I grip the gun pretty tight, I guess my grip feels locked on more than some guns, but I truly believe Springfield Armory could have and should have done a better job with placing a more aggressive or abrasive texture on the grip, even if the aggressive spots were far and few between, strategically placed. It would have done a much better service to their customers. I for one will opt for a Talon grip. My grip will not look as fancy as the front and back straps look now with the "custom stippling job" look, but at least I will then be able to lock on to the gun as I had hoped would happen when I first gripped the gun.

Bottom line - BUY THIS GUN. Period. It shoots GREAT - like a 9mm 1911! I have never fired a 9mm 1911, but I assume it would fire this same way. My tactical 5" model has the same length barrel as a Government 1911, and the grip is basically the same length. The gun really does fit my hand similar to a 1911 even though the magazine is a double stack magazine, and it shoots very similar to a 1911 with a slightly longer pre-travel & over-travel on the trigger, which I believe Springfield Armory could have shortened up, but in my case I love the gun regardless and it will stay put with me!

The fiber optic front sight also really helps to pick up your aim and go. The grip size and trigger reach are just spot on for me - it is everything I have hoped Glock would do for FOREVER.

THANK YOU SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!

If you're on the fence with a Mod.2, look no further. You will LOVE this gun!!!!!

Greg Springfield Mod 2 March 5 2016 1.jpg

On this photo below, the 3 shots to the left were already on the poster board as it had already been
used previous to my shooting it, although the pieces of tape themselves were all clear of any shots,
so those are all mine! The top photo I shot a little slower with the first 4 shots (the cluster), then picked
up my speed a little. The bottom target I shot medium/fast.I think the bottom left hole was already
there on the bottom target but I'm not sure.
Greg Springfield Mod 2 March 5 2016 2.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Enjoyed your review... I'm planning on picking up a Mod.2 5" Tactical myself and continue to hear nothing but good things!

Any pictures of the gun? I'm leaning towards bi-tone finish despite the $40-50 price bump. Have fun and be sure to update if your opinion changes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the bitone tactical and love it. It does show the power more easily but that also shows me where to clean. LOL. Great shooting gun! Fits my hand perfectly. I put in the PRP Tigger kit and the trigger is amazing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For big handed shooters, it's a good fit too. I don't like Glocks precisely because they have such enormous grips. My hand is thick enough already without having to grab onto a polymer 2x4.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice review, glad you like the gun and I have been looking at one for a bit too. The thing that gets me the most is the grip. I have tiny hands for an adult male, (I have the 4" version) and the Mod2 just fits so well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually prefer the thicker grips on the glocks. However, I needed to find a gun for the house which would fit both my wife's smaller hands and my oversized mitts. Somehow, the XD Mod 2 strikes a good balance. My trigger finger was pushing through and grazing my support hand during the firing motion with the stock trigger. After I put in the PRP trigger that ceased to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nice review, good to know you're very happy with your purchase.

Most anyone whose handled my Mod.2 SC in .45ACP have also said the grip is easy to hold onto, it doesn't feel the least bit too big (men and women alike), that it's very ergonomic. I don't have large hands but believe they're somewhat strong as I work with tools etc daily, somewhat requiring good grip strength.

If that laser is a Crimson Trace CMR series their XDM series LG-445 fits the Mod.2 frame perfectly---I have one on mine. Compared to the forward rail mount the laser grips are far easier and intuitive to engage, for me anyway.

BTW I like the looks of the Tactical version! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice write up. I have a Mod 2 subcompact and the Mod 2 Tactical both chambered in 9mm. I really enjoy both pistols; the sub is my EDC, and the 5" Tactical is used primarily at the range and sits in my bedside safe.

I have relatively small hands and both feel great. I shot 200-250 rounds when I go to the range, and have no fatigue or strain.

Off topic: Thinking about getting a small single stack for summer carry - leaning towards S&W Shield. They have a $75 rebate so I can pick one up for $250 after rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice write up. I have a Mod 2 subcompact and the Mod 2 Tactical both chambered in 9mm. I really enjoy both pistols; the sub is my EDC, and the 5" Tactical is used primarily at the range and sits in my bedside safe.

I have relatively small hands and both feel great. I shot 200-250 rounds when I go to the range, and have no fatigue or strain.

Off topic: Thinking about getting a small single stack for summer carry - leaning towards S&W Shield. They have a $75 rebate so I can pick one up for $250 after rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Considering Mod.2 Tactical 5" for beginning competition

I posted the above question just before finding this review. I'm very seriously considering this gun and was almost sold on it, when I discovered the Walther PPQ M2 5". That is an awesome gun too!

If anyone can help me out with my angst I'd appreciate it :p The Walther costs the same as the Mod.2 Tactical plus a competition trigger kit--and the stock trigger in the Walther is SWEET.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the same boat, I was really set on the XD mod.2 5" Tactical based on the great reviews and sweet promo deal, but I'm going to get the Walther PPQ 5" instead.

For me there are several Pros to the Walther PPQ: 1) 15rds over 10rd (NJ Limit), 2) interchangeable back straps, 3) 3oz lighter 4) hands down one of the BEST out of box triggers 5) sweet as hell ported sexy slide haha :lol: If it wasn't for the lame PPQ poly sights this wouldn't even be a question....;)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was in the same boat, I was really set on the XD mod.2 5" Tactical based on the great reviews and sweet promo deal, but I'm going to get the Walther PPQ 5" instead.

For me there are several Pros to the Walther PPQ: 1) 15rds over 10rd (NJ Limit), 2) interchangeable back straps, 3) 3oz lighter 4) hands down one of the BEST out of box triggers 5) sweet as hell ported sexy slide haha :lol: If it wasn't for the lame PPQ poly sights this wouldn't even be a question....;)
Ha, yes the stock sights on the PPQ are pretty meager. Pony up another $100 or so and get the Q5 version. That gets you an adjustable rear sight and a fiber optic front, plus the adapter plate to accommodate red dot optics if you choose.

I'm looking at cost, too. Someone at my range has an XD Tactical with a Springer Precision trigger job, and while the pull isn't quite as short as the Walther, the reset is almost the same, with that satisfying click. So the XD plus trigger = PPQ 5" price, but with the better XD front sight. To get the better sights on the Walther, you need the Q5...but then you get the option for optics, which you can't have with Springfield without a custom slide job.

By the time I run a million rounds through either gun, that price difference won't matter much :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another $100? :rolleyes: Either you are overpaying big time for the PPQ or great price on the Q5..... I've been searching the web for months now and see the 5" PPQ as low as $560ish but no Q5 to be found under $750. You see them locally for less?

Anyway, some news from the Walther forum, game changer for many on the fence... $100 rebate on all Walther's starting June 1st (Excludes Q5 :mad:). Not my pictures just re-pasting, promo site is not up and running yet.

Walther 100.jpg Walther 101.jpg
http://www.waltherarms.com/Rebate100

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another $100? :rolleyes: Either you are overpaying big time for the PPQ or great price on the Q5..... I've been searching the web for months now and see the 5" PPQ as low as $560ish but no Q5 to be found under $750. You see them locally for less?

Anyway, some news from the Walther forum, game changer for many on the fence... $100 rebate on all Walther's starting June 1st (Excludes Q5 :mad:). Not my pictures just re-pasting, promo site is not up and running yet.

View attachment 287617 View attachment 287625
http://www.waltherarms.com/Rebate100
Well that could help to sway me.

The best prices I've found are just under $650. Locally I see gun shops selling them for around $700, with my local "budget shop" quoting a price of $640 as a special order (usually they have awesome prices on the more common models, but they don't stock long slide models). Buds Guns has $628 as a "cash discount price." I'm not familiar with ordering from online dealers. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Too bad it excludes the Q5 from the rebate, but the 5" PPQ is practically the same gun minus the mounting option for optics. I can't imagine the cuts in the slide lighten it *that* much, and the PPQ is a light gun already. I can paint the trigger blue myself. Everyone knows guns shoot straighter when they have blue triggers! :p

I guess it also has better stock sights, but I can upgrade them myself with the money I save on the rebate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congrats on the Mod 2!! I recently purchased a Mod 2 45 Subcompact to add to my Mod1 45 compact 4" and my Mod1 Tactical 45 5". I love them all..specially the compact (w/PRP trigger) and the 5"(w/Springer trigger).

Attachments

Reactions: JWA

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sold my Mossberg 590 12 gauge Shockwave after taking it to the range for the first time. It did not mesh well with arthritis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I don't have that much experience with shotguns (The Shockwave is technically a firearm, not a shotgun), and other than for home defense or a truck gun, it's totally impractical. My familiarity and experience with handguns make them a better bet across the board. I adore my Springfield Mod 2 Service model with a 4" barrel and I found an insane deal on the Springfield XD Mod 2 Tactical bi-tone with 5 inch barrel of $359.00 with free shipping to replace it. (MSRP is $651.00) Nobody is selling them for anywhere close to that. I thought I'd share (now that I've ordered mine!). This has the same frame as the four inch. It's like putting a G17 slide on a G19 frame so you have all of the benefits of the longer barrel without losing concealability.

Springfield XD Mod.2 5" Barrel Stainless Tactical 16+1 XDG9401SHC $359 with free shipping!

XD® MOD.2® 5″ Tactical Model 9mm - Springfield Armory $651 MSRP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love my xd9 mod2 tactical 5 inch, esp after installing the PRP drop in kit. HUGE difference, so smooth crisp. Shorter and lighter trigger pull. Anyone running the freedomsmith fatty trigger with the PRP drop in kit? If so, trigger safety still engage/disengage? Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts