Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always liked the glock plastic mags for some reason. I cared less about damage than with a metal exterior version. Mainly referring to the exterior (yes glock is metal 2)

What is your preference. Not really talking about capacity. Just mainly the mag construction....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Glock mags are steel lined. But most importantly, they are stealth black tactical as fuk for the serious operator

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that they are metal lined but mainly was trying to see if people liked one design over the other. I cleared up the original post.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I love Glock mags.

Number one...they last a VERY long time. I leave mine loaded for months and I have only had one G17 mag spring loose its tension but it was the original 1992 mag and i used it like mad. Still...a call to CDNN and a new spring and follower and the damn thing was back in action.

Glock mags are also easy to clean..once you figure out how to correctly slide the base plates off.

They are also cheap and everywhere.

Throw them around and step on them and they just take it and keep on working.

Yes...Glock's mags are great....if you ask me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have always liked the glock plastic mags for some reason. I cared less about damage than with a metal exterior version. Mainly referring to the exterior (yes glock is metal 2)

What is your preference. Not really talking about capacity. Just mainly the mag construction....
No preference.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I like Glock mags as well.

But I also like black mags.
I went as far to have my Kahr CM9 mags refinished in black after having the slide and parts refinished in Ionbond....:roll:
Didn't make any sense to have a silver mag sticking out of a black gun..

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The polymer seems harder to tear up the body. You gotta have some unfortunate luck with most steel mags too but they seem to dent a bit easier.

I like Glock mags being easy to find at about $25 a pop.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
No real preference. I haven't had any trouble, really, with either my Glock mags or my Springfield mags.

It's easier to spot the metal stainless mags on the range, but it's harder to keep my name or other identifiers on the mag body than on the plastic. The black plastic requires using a light-colored Sharpie or paint-pen to really show up well and are harder to spot, particularly in tall grass, but the markings last for a long time before I have to hit them again.

Both are easy to clean, and both have lasted me since I got into the sport/hobby nearly 4 years ago. I can't even count the number of cycles I've put through my four main training/range magazines for my XDm. I'd say that, conservatively, I've cycled each of those magazines 200 times, and the figure is actually more like 250. I don't practice with my Glock nearly as much as it isn't my primary carry/defensive gun, but even so, it's 5 range/training mags have got to have at least half that number by now, each. Defensive mags for each gun are stored for months-on-end, and I know from personal experience that even after storage of 2 years, they still feed just fine. They've been dropped on everything from concrete to rocks.

Blind choice SHTF? I wouldn't have a problem with either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One thing I dislike about glock mags, is the fact they are not as easy to disassemble in the field after dropping them in mud all day. I found this out the hard way. Easier to clean out most other mags between runs. Enough silt mud will mess up all the mags out there eventually.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Glock, because glock everything is better.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I prefer my Glock mags also. They seem to be a little more durable. I have dropped one my XD mags and had the lip bend.

Not to mention, I don't like shiny things......

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i dont think a glock mag will fit in an xd will it?
if not, then i would have to say my preference lies with xd mags, since i dont own a glock, so i couldnt use the mag

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
No preference, both my XD and Glock mags have provided quite reliable. Glock mags have a reputation for being tough to disassemble, but on the flip side of the coin they also don't self-disassemble if you eject one onto a hard surface.

I like that the XD mags can be used as an emergency signaling device at high noon, though. :lol: ;)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Let's put the Glock coating on XD/XDm mags and call it a win on both accounts...:)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Glocks poly coated mags are the reason they can't make a truly slim gun that competes with other firearms in the same class. I don't mind them, but you won't see a single stack Glock in 9mm as slim as a XDS or Shield as just one example.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Glocks poly coated mags are the reason they can't make a truly slim gun that competes with other firearms in the same class. I don't mind them, but you won't see a single stack Glock in 9mm as slim as a XDS or Shield as just one example.
Yes you will, in time.
If they can make a thin single stack mag for the G42, they can surely make a single stack 9mm mag.
Besides I sold my sloppy triggered XDs, and the shield is too thin for my grip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts