Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say hello to everyone since this is my first post on this fine site. I don't have an XD yet but after much research had pretty much decided I would get the 9mm tactical for USPSA production. I had narrowed it down to the XD and the Smith and Wesson 5906. I had never had either gun in my hand until today so was basing my choice on what I had read on this and other sites. I'm a fanatic about researching things before I spend my hard earned money. Well today I went to the local pawn shop to see if they had either of these guns in stock so I could at least get my hands on them before buying. They did have the 4" version of the XD and it fit me just right. The only problem I could see with the gun was the magazine release button. They have it recessed so far that I found it somewhat hard to get my finger on it. I have very large fingers and I was really struggling to push it. I had to use just to tip of my finger and I also found that it was rather hard to find the button just by feel. Do any of you guys have the same trouble and if so is it something that you can get used to after awhile? I really like the way it fit my hand and the price is right so I would still like to get one but I just don't know if I can get used to that recessed mag release. Thanks.....Dan

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Pistol-Gear mag release is considered an external modification. Would someone ding you on it...not likely. The only one that is legal is the one that Rich uses, its the same mag release, modified internally so that it is offset but nothing outside of the gun is changed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

I have the Pistol Gear (Canyon Creek) extended mag release and like it a lot. Not the easiest thing to install. I had my gunsmith do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The cayon creek extended mag release installed

The extended one on the left stock on the right

I'm happy with the canyon creek extended mag release its about 1/16" larger on each side 1/8" total

I bought this from pistol gear and acording to there website it is made buy canyon creek

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are we getting the Pistol Gear and the Canyon Creek mag releases confused here, I was under the impression that what Scott sells isn't the same that Rich uses.

I was lead to believe that Rich's design was the same magazine release, cut in a different place to facilitate shifting it to the strong side's thumb, thus not modifying anything externally so therefore, legal for Production.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ampleworks said:
Are we getting the Pistol Gear and the Canyon Creek mag releases confused here, I was under the impression that what Scott sells isn't the same that Rich uses.

I was lead to believe that Rich's design was the same magazine release, cut in a different place to facilitate shifting it to the strong side's thumb, thus not modifying anything externally so therefore, legal for Production.
I bought mine from pistol gear and according to pistol gears website it is made by canyon creek possibly Rich makes one for pistol gear to sell and also does modify one for his customers

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
They are both made by Canyon Creek, there are two type. One has the stock look while the other has the serations. Rich can tell you the difference, however we carry just the serated version.

Does this help?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Old School said:
They are both made by Canyon Creek, there are two type. One has the stock look while the other has the serations. Rich can tell you the difference, however we carry just the serated version.

Does this help?
Clears it up for me Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've gotten good results by using my trigger or right middle finger on the right-side mag release on the XD. I was actually surprised when I timed myself - for me, it's as fast or faster than using the conventional 1911-style (left-side) release.

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information fellas. I have talked to Rich and he explained the differences in the mag release mods. I will be going with the XD for sure now. I can't understand why they would make the gun with such a recessed mag release in the first place. I suppose they are thinking that it wont get accidentally released the way they have it. I couldn't imagine operating the release with gloves on! Thanks again for the replys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts