Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying an XD(M), and was wondering does the XD(M) have a loose slide like the regular XD? If the slide is looser the reliability is increased, unfortunately I forget to check this whenever I handle an M.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey there. Welcome to the Forum. I'm a bit confused about what you're asking. All I can tell you is that the XDm is very reliable. There is a reason for it's popularity, and reliability is on the top of the list.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have issues to report with my XDM 9mm. It's run perfect since day one.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Just handled both my xd40sc and my xdm40(4.5), and both slides feel comparable to me. Up and down play and side to side play feel about the same on both. Feel pretty normal for pistols of this type. Both have been 100% reliable from day one and are more accurate than me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the replies guys, I was using "loose" as general term to mean that there was enough motion of the slide to ensure reliablility. I wasn't using the term as a way to down grade the quality of the XD.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you keep it appropriately lubed (just a little in the right places, not too much), it'll be like butter. Butter would be a bad choice for lube, though. Stay away.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The XDm slide feels like it is on ball bearings -- not tight and not sloppy. Very accurate while also being dead reliable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey there, I know what you mean by " reliably loose" and yes, the slide has slight amount of rattle when you shake it side to side, so its not too tight to jam up with a little grit in it, it breaks in very nicely too. Accuracy is dead on. Honestly, I've put over 2,500 flawless rounds through my M so far, and I couldn't be happier, well, maybe til a .45 version comes out ;P

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not a pro by any means - I'm really a newbie. However, I've put about 1000 rounds through my XDm 9 in the last few weeks, and with the exception of my first day on the range when I was limp wristing (and again I say - I'm a newbie, so that was my first time out), I haven't had a single problem with my gun. In my opinion, it's very reliable - I would trust my life to it - well, actually, I'm doing just that.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I bought my XDm in February 2010 and have put ~9300 rounds through it. It has been cleaned exactly 3 times, and the first was to get the packing gunk off it. I've had 3 ammo related issues(bad primers), and it runs like a top.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I bought my XDm in February 2010 and have put ~9300 rounds through it. It has been cleaned exactly 3 times, and the first was to get the packing gunk off it. I've had 3 ammo related issues(bad primers), and it runs like a top.
From personal experience ... I believe you :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only issue I've had with mine was the striker retaining pin. When I picked up my 9mm 3.8 I was told not to dry fire it because the striker pin would snap. The first week I owned it I only practiced trigger pulls with a snap cap. After that I said screw it. I've dry fired the hell out of it for months. Today I looked down at the top of the pin and noticed it was no longer round. Closer look and I noticed it actually had a crack.

I ordered spring steel pins from PRP after I decided I was going to try to debunk the warning. Obviously the rumor was true in my case. I replaced it just 30min ago. The original came out in two long pieces.

The PRP pin looks much thicker, I doubt it will ever crack. I was a pain to get the new pin in, but it's done.

Bottom line, I can't say the cracked retaining pin would have ever caused a problem. The pistol shot fine every time. But I did answer the question "does dry firing the XDm crack the pin".... In my case yes. After hundreds of dry fires. But i can't say if it would have ever caused a problem. I still love my XDm and would trust my life to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts