Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas,

Straight up talk. No jibberish and lets keep this thread on task.

1. I'm about to purchase a new XD in 9mm (OD).

2. Is the XD(M) worth the extra money over an XD.

3. Why or why not?

4. This gun is going to be a SD pistol and will be carried daily with Federal HST 147gr. This pistol will also see extended shooting on paper on a regular basis in all weather conditions. (How is the grip surfaces on the hands/fingers etc?)

I would like honest answers from those who are familar and own XD's and XD (M)'s.

Thank you, your knowledge and experience are great!

·
Registered
245 Posts
1. Sweet
2. yes
3. it costs more so it must be better
4. cool! its grippier looking than the xd

j/k man. i havent shot one yet, but it is high on my list of next handguns to get. sadly the list is on hold for a while.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have shot xd's and I like the XDm better.
Match barrel and bigger capacity for ammo.
I have a XDm in OD and after some grip tape I like the grip, before the tape, when my hands were sweaty I did not like the grip.
I love the gun and would reccomend to anyone.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
M coming to me soon! Where is the best place in/near Colorado Springs for price?

·
Registered
481 Posts
fatty (respectfully)
I own an XD 9 bi-tone, 800 rounds through
I own an XDM-40 (new) bi-tone 350 rounds through it.
I have a S&W 4006 (40 S&W) 12 years 1000 rounds through it.
The grips on the XDMs have noticably more grip (all weather) although I haven't fired it in wet or cold.
The XDM-40 is a "softer" shooting 40 than my S&W 4006 and my friend's Glock which we fired side by side.
I shoot tighter groups with XD 9 than the XDM-40 on timed shooting... I'll shoot the 9 to score and the 40 to STOP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
XD-m is a very good weapon and high quality and a lot of extras like the barrel and
sights, trigger etc. It is an excellent range gun. Not recommended for carry..

·
Registered
130 Posts
The XD-M is a large weapon and that is why I would not consider it a carry piece.
It is a gun that is going to print on you or is going to be somewhat uncomfortable.
Again, that's only my opinion and I was planning on buying one out here in AZ and
even the owner of the store indicated to me this is not a carry piece. So I went
for a 4 inch Springfield companion 45c which I really like 1911 style and carries
well. Hope that clarifies my prior thoughts..

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The XD-M is a large weapon and that is why I would not consider it a carry piece.
It is a gun that is going to print on you or is going to be somewhat uncomfortable.
Again, that's only my opinion and I was planning on buying one out here in AZ and
even the owner of the store indicated to me this is not a carry piece. So I went
for a 4 inch Springfield companion 45c which I really like 1911 style and carries
well. Hope that clarifies my prior thoughts..
Given the choice between a XD9 Service/Tactical or a XDM9, I'd take the M. Even for carry. There is no significant size difference between the 16 round XD9 and the XDM.

I expect to be able to carry a full size XD during the Florida winter. Summer not so much, but with a cover garment it's not a problem.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
1. congrads
2. IMO, no
3. I "looked" at the M and there was nothing impressive based on the cost!
4. I carry 40 service, for me better control and don't believe in the stopping power of the 9mm. More rounds, sure, but why should you need them. "Most" fights are over in 5 shots or less... I am a big guy, I want a big gun that "feels" good in MY hand...
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
1. congrads
2. IMO, no
3. I "looked" at the M and there was nothing impressive based on the cost!
4. I carry 40 service, for me better control and don't believe in the stopping power of the 9mm. More rounds, sure, but why should you need them. "Most" fights are over in 5 shots or less... I am a big guy, I want a big gun that "feels" good in MY hand...
Good luck!
Do you carry 5 rounds in your mags?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have the XD9sc and I carry it for now. I just ordered the XDm 40 and will be carring that OC and the XD9sc IWB. I live in Washington and it is legal to OC so I have no problem with printing. I've shot the XD9 and I got to say that this gun amazed me and made me a true beliver in XD's so I would assume the XDm would be a great gun also. I will soon find out. It has to be better then my Millenum pro 40 that I sold to get the XDm. I went to a local shop, held it and loved the feel. I would of bought it right then but they wanted $800 for it. So I headed else were and found it for $670 OTD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not see any problem with the XDm 40 as a carry weapon. I carry it concealed or open. If you have a jacket that is loose fitting you will not print with it IMHO.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Got my XDM9 for $640 and sent in for the two free magazines. $800 is crazy. Handles very nicely, looks great, but it is on the large side. Depends on how you want to carry it I suppose. For me it is more for the house and for just enjoying the shooting experience. You can shoot all day, not go broke, and have your hand back afterwards. I believe in practice, practice and more practice not ncessarily the most stopping power. I'd rather be very comfortable, skilled and able to get quick succesive shots on target. For me that meant the softer shooting XDM, combined with the easier to handle 9mm rounds, and the affordability to practice. I really just like to shoot though so I'm biased, not alot of drugged out nutjobs to put down in my neck of the woods. If I lived in Stockton or Detroit I'd probably own an XDM .45 as well. I just don't enjoy shooting .45s but I've only fired a glock in that caliber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I CCW an XDm 9 daily and don't have any greater issues with printing than with my XD 9. THe XD9 does have a shorter grip but I have enough body to hide the difference when I carry the m.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shoot them both and see which one you like better. I shoot IDPA with some guys that own both. Some prefer the XD40 and some prefer the XDM40. It is like shoes don't let other people tell you what is comfortable. Try them on and decide for yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts