Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m an inch away from taking the plunge and buying an XD(m) Compact in .40 cal. I would like to make this my primary carry weapon plus be able to have some fun at the range with it. Living in the Southeast means heat and humidity so concealing such a relatively large gun concerns me for those 8 months of the year when layering is out of place. Oh, and I dress with a shirt and tie during the day (no jacket) and can’t (shouldn’t) take it into the office but vehicle is close and secure.

Other decision factors are:

• Glock 27 is smaller/lighter but doesn’t feel as good in my hand.

• Will .40 cal recoil in such a small frame make range time not as fun? I insist on being very accurate with this gun purchase.

• Will this be hard to conceal without getting larger (waist) pants?

• Is ankle carry a realistic option?

• 9mm or .40? I own other 9mm now but too large to carry.

I’ve analyzed this to death and have narrowed the field down to the XD(m) Compact, S&W Airweight, G27 or maybe one of the .380 pocket rockets. No doubt I will probably end up with a BUG (Airweight or Pocket Rocket) regardless of primary decision. I know this is a lot to ask in one thread but I feel like I have come to the right place. Purchase date could be within the next week or two. Come on folks, give me a nudge. In return, I promise to play nice and post range reports and carry feedback if I buy it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
•Glock 27 is smaller/lighter but doesn’t feel as good in my hand.
•Will .40 cal recoil in such a small frame make range time not as fun? I insist on being very accurate with this gun purchase.
•Will this be hard to conceal without getting larger (waist) pants?
•Is ankle carry a realistic option?
•9mm or .40? I own other 9mm now but too large to carry.

1- Well, thats because its has a glock grip angle
2- I enjoy shooting mine almost as much as my 1911s
3- no more difficult than anything else. I carry IWB when off-duty generally with the same size pants as my waist.
4- I used to carry a Defender on my ankle, but it is overall shorter than the XDm compact 40 I own now
5- 9mm is much less expensive. I own a XDsc9 and an XDm40c. I shoot more the 9 because its cheaper, but carrry the 40 for work.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Just to ease your mind. If you buy the XDmc 40 and don't like it -- you can send it to me for proper "disposal". No charge!

Are you having issue with 9mm recoil now? .40 is more, but it's a more powerful round. Certainly not "un-fun" unless the 9mm is boarder line too much for you then it might be. Recoil is really personal. I've seen little ladies shoot stout handguns with no problem and big guys flinch away from much less powerful guns. Don't try and out macho yourself. Get the gun you shoot most accurately and with the greatest confidence. Either 9mm or .40 will get the job done, but only if you are able to put the hole in the right spot!

·
Registered
152 Posts
1. never held a Glock, can't offer any input.
2. Recoil is a non-issue IMO. the accuracy can't be beat, again IMO.
3. I was afraid of the same thing concerning buying larger jeans/pants. So far so good with my CrossBreed...now if I happen to add a few pounds it might be necessary.
4. Personally, I couldn't lug the .40 around on my ankle all day. Can't imagine that would be comfortable at all, but that's just me.
5. Personal preference here. If the price difference in ammo doesn't concern you then it comes down to which one you want. The 9mm compact carries 20 and the .40 carries 11 (in the compact mag). Really that's one of the only differences in the two weapons.

I too am considering my options for a BUG...by the time the money is available I will hope to have plenty of opinions to go by. So far it's between the LCP and the P3AT (though I'm not too keen on another Kel-tec)

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
  • Will .40 cal recoil in such a small frame make range time not as fun? I insist on being very accurate with this gun purchase.
1. I have no experience with Glock so I cannot give you an opinion

2. My friend and I shot his full size 40 and my compact 40 back to back and we both said the difference in recoil is so minimal that if we had not shot them back to back you couldn't tell the difference.

3. The XDm compact is easy to conceal due to the small grip. The biggest factor (to me at least) is the thickness of the slide. If your pants "just fit" then you will need to buy bigger or have them taken out about an inch. If you wear a belt to help keep them up now then you shoudn't have a problem carrying IWB. However, I would NOT carry IWB in dress slacks with an XDm 40. Way to bulky against that thin dress slack material. Jeans, cargo shorts/pants no problem.

4. If you ankle carried the 40 compact one leg will be bigger then the other within a week or 2. It's almost 2 pounds with a full mag. Think of walking around with one of those sand filled ankle weights people wear while running and trying to loose weight.

5. 9mm is obviously cheaper. 40 is a little more powrful (larger round) so it's your decision.

If you decise on the 3.8 40 do yourself a favor and get a Pearce Grip extension.

Check out this article I found and it might help you gain some more insight on the XDm 40.

Gun Review: Springfield Armory XD(m) 3.8 Compact (.40S&W) | The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steak - Thanks for the link. I thought I had found all the articles on the XD(m) Compact but had not seen that one.

Jason_Bud - I'm not having any problems with 9mm recoil now but that is in a much larger all steel weapon. I haven't found an XD(m) Compact at the rental range and haven't run across an owner at the range yet either.

I got the idea of ankle carry from my Concealed Weapons Permit instructor who claims to carry his Glock 27 on the ankle as an on-duty BUG. Just getting other opinions.

I'm leaning toward the .40 mostly because due to increased knock down. Nothing the four posters said discouraged that idea and yes, I have ruled out .45 due to cost of ammo.

Without actually seeing or holding either one, I am leaning toward the DeSantis Tuckthis II holster which looks similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck but a tad smaller. I'll also be experimenting with a Belly Band and/or a Holster Shirt.

Based on the current posts, looks like it will be the .40 Compact in all black. As promised, I'll let you know how that works out in about two weeks. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The xdm compact in the .40 is an excellent handgun. I own one, and find it comfortable to carry, comfortable and fun to shoot.
I would recommend the . 40. You can always buy a 9mm conversion kit later, if you want to shoot 9s through it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have an XDM SC in .40.
It is my primary carry gun. I have a full size XDm that is a range/home defense gun.
For range time if you want to only use one gun, put the 16 rd mags in. There is not much recoil difference between the full size and sub compact if both have 16 rd mags. I highly recommend the Peirce grip extension for the 11 rd mag. makes a huge difference in comfort for me. The XDm has been way more accurate in my hand than a Glock. I own both. I wouldn't give you a nudge toward the .40 sub compact as a shove. Fantastic carry gun.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Go ahead! Take the plunge!

"Resistance is Futile"

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
I own one and absolutely love it. However, I have only carried it once because it has been mostly in the 100s ever since I got my CCW. Carried in a CBST wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, worked out fine. Just have to be mindful and learn how to go about your business a little differently, don't bend at the waist and stuff like that. Right now I mostly pocket carry an LCP until cooler weather gets here (and a new gun belt).
The recoil is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. After I finally talked my wife into shooting it she didn't want to put it down. However, with the price of ammo what it is now (.40 keeps going up, just jumped $5 here) I would say go with the 9mm version since you already have other 9mm handguns. That way you aren't trying to stock another ammo.
I have shot a glock and it felt like I was holding a 2 x 4. Not saying they are not great weapons, because they are. But in my hand, it just did not work.

Nudge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 9mm verses .40 cal decision is my biggest conflict right now and that decision will probably be made as I am telling them which one to pull out and ring up. I'm still leaning toward the .40. Heck, the entire Law Enforcement community can't be wrong, can they? Okay, withdraw that.

I didn't think Springfield would sell parts so I never considered buying the extra slide and mags to be able to shoot 9mm in the same frame. Have to look into that.

With local prices where they are, I'll need to spend another $400 to $500 over the next year to stock up on ammo then drop back to replace what you shoot mode. I suppose my IRS refund should cover that.

Pearce Extension. I'll try one shortly after I buy but holding it in the store, 3/4ths of pinky is still on the grip with the short mag.

As for the BUG, still struggling with that one. The .380s are flat and compact but something is still pulling toward the .38 Airweight. That's a whole other thread!

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That's the way it was for me when I bought my 3.8. It was between the 9mm and the .40 as well. I already had a 9mm in a Sig so I finally told my guy to just order the .40. Variety is the spice of life. I then got the 9mm in the "compact" too. Figured just get um all.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
I highly recommend you try shooting all of your choices first. You may find that the G26/G27, though it may feel "as good" in your hand (so what--you're buying a defensive tool, not a pair of gloves, and how it "feels in the hand" rarely has anything to do with how the pistol shoots for you). You may also find that an airweight snub is unpleasant to shoot enough to become truly competent with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I highly recommend you try shooting all of your choices first. You may find that the G26/G27, though it may feel "as good" in your hand (so what--you're buying a defensive tool, not a pair of gloves, and how it "feels in the hand" rarely has anything to do with how the pistol shoots for you). You may also find that an airweight snub is unpleasant to shoot enough to become truly competent with it.
Well Cuda, I don't disagree with you but that isn't always possible. The only person I have run across with an XD has an XD not XD(m) and it's full sized, not Compact. The one rental range in this area doesn't have a single XD on the shelf.

My Concealed Carry Permit instructor let me fire one round out of his G27. That's it. And I wasn't impressed enough to go spend 40 bucks at the rental range getting more time with it when it didn't feel right to begin with.

It's sort of like marrying a...... uh, lady with no experience. You have to trust your gut.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I shot a service xd-40 about 6 months ago. It felt great in my hand and it shot like a dream. While saving up money for it, one of my friends who I went shooting with asked me why I shouldn't just by an XDM-40 for a little extra. Then one of my friends asked me if I wanted to go to a CCW class with him.

A little bit of research and trolling XDtalk for a few weeks, I ended up finding a local shop that was selling xd's for a great price on this site. His name is Thunderjohn from southwest arms.

I'm a pretty small framed guy 5 foot 8 inches weighing in at a whopping 120 pounds wet. I seem to manage the recoil well enough. Just need to get some moooooooore range time and and stop letting the trigger scare me.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I didn't think Springfield would sell parts so I never considered buying the extra slide and mags to be able to shoot 9mm in the same frame. Have to look into that.

They don't, but that's not how to convert caliber from 40 to 9. Just buy a "conversion barrel" from EFK Firedragon or one of the other companies that sell them and 9mm mags. That's it.

Springfield XDSUB/XDS/XDT/XDM

The 3.8 barrels are "out of stock" now, but expected soon. Or so I hear.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

1. If it doesn't feel right, it isn't. Of course, you'd have to see if (despite it not feeling right) you can shoot right with it.

2. The .40 S&W does have a bit of a kick to it; but, it is quite manageable. You will probably notice it less with the Glock because of the grip angle and lower profile (the barrel sits higher on the XD(m) than the Glock. Not enough to sway me away from the XD line. The "snappiness" of the .40 does not reduce the fun factor on the range...the price might though.

3. I can IWB carry my full sized .40 XD(m) without buying bugger pants, and I'm 5'7" 160 with a medium, athletic build.

4. I couldn't get away with ankle carry with the XDc.

5. With the advancements is bullet technology, there isn't all that much of a difference as there used to be. I would say that the deciding factor here would be price. Compare a box of .40S&W vs a box of 9mm. If you can afford it, I say go with the .40S&W.

Someone said it before, but I'll echo it: try it THEN buy it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts