Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I apologize, but on my last/first post I stated I "had" already purchased my Xd(m)9mm. What I meant to say was I have one on layaway. Black, 4.5", at $637 after tax. But I have been rethinking my choice. I have always been a .45acp fan. First gun being a Springfield 1911 A-1. I was just amazed by the 19+1 of the 9mm. Planning on using (but hopefully I don't have to ) for self defense type situations. Its not too late to change my order, which caliber would be the better choice? 9mm or. 45acp. I appreciate the opinions. Safety first.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I won't debate which calibre is better, you first have to hit the target. That being said practice, practice, practice = ammo, ammo, ammo = $, $, $.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Can you afford to shoot each to an equal experience level ?
If so, get the one you want.

·
Registered
195 Posts
JMO !!!!
So take it with a grain of salt and do what's best for you.
I have both in 4.5
The 45 groups better at 25 & 50 yards.
I love the feel of the 9 and use it for carry more than the 45.
But if I could only keep one it would be the 45 for the fact I am more accurate at 25 & 50 yards with it.
You can not go wrong with the 9 or the 45.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the XDm 9 in 4.5". Will soon be getting the 4.5' .45. The 9 is easy to shoot, ammo costs less, and more rounds in the mag. I've just always wanted a .45(or two).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just picked up the 5.25 in 9 (I had same decision )
I have other 45s , went with 9 due to ammo costs and it is just plain cool to have 19rounds per mag ;)

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I bought the 45 because I've always liked the round. I shoot it every trip to the range, love it. I put a light on it for home defense purposes. I chose a KelTec PF-9 for concealed carry. It's slim and comfortable to carry. Lots of fun to shoot. Thinking of getting an XDM 9mm for my wife. She has a Ruger LCR and loves it except for the 5 round limitation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Get the one that you can handle the best, as far as getting back on target after the first shot. Caliber doesn't matter if your missing the target. If you haven't shot a .45 then find one to shot and see just how well you can handle it. The same goes for the 9mm.

I would much rather hear about someone having to empty a full mag of 9mm to stop a threat than hear that someone was killed because they weren't able to hit their target.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have both. I love the 9. I can shoot one inch groups at ten yards. I have over 5,000 rounds without any failure and the gun still looks new. I am still getting used to the newer 45 and the trigger is still getting broken in. I am around three inches with it at ten yards. Both seem to fit my hand well. The slide and grip on the 45 is one mm. wider than the 9. I use the No. 1 backstrap on the 45 and the No. 2 on the 9. I use powder river grip tape on both. Until I get better with the 45, the 9 will be my SD gun.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go 9 brother!! Have you priced 45acp ammo lately.....chit man It costs a small fortune and takes the fun out of it....(kinda, but not much) On the upside the 9mm is fun and costs a hell of alot less to operate! I just bought a G19 (my first 9MM) and freaking love it.......As stated you will not go wrong either way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ive seen there coming out with the xdm .45 in 3.8. Imo that will be the finest cc pistols for the price.
I have the xdm 9 love it, use it for practice and training cause ammo is much cheaper. Have xd .45c for cc.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Get the .45 for that one-shot knock-down power... Bigger holes equal deader bad guys... I KID!! I KID!! Put the rope away!

As many have said, try both and get whichever you shoot better and like better.

As the owner of a .45 XD 5" and a .45 S&W M&P, I can tell you that there are times when I blow through a couple hundred rounds at the range and see dollar-signs every time I pull the trigger. That said, I shot the 9mm, .40, and .45 before settling on the .45 XS 5". Other than ammo price, I have no regrets about the weapon. I do want an XDm, though... a compact one for CC once my license arrives!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have done extensive research on this caliber argument and for good reason. I am a deputy and had to choose a duty weapon. Right now I carry a 9mm and I will tell you why.

Like others have said, shot placement is the number one priority. If you can't hit your target in the vital areas then you are risking your life. Second is you better be planning on multiple shots and if you can't deliver multiple shots in the same area you might be in trouble. I can shoot a whole mag of nine, rapid fire, and keep about a four to six inch group, both eyes open. My 45 group is a lot bigger and to me, with how the bad guys area nowadays, I want max ammo and what I am more accurate with.

I read a lot of after action reports and talked to a few guys who have been involved in shootings, and watched a lot of dash cams. It is never one shot, it's always rapid fire, moving while shooting, and all the guys said they don't remember seeing their sights. That's point shooting. As a ccw holder, you can't plan that it will go a down certain way. You HAVE to plan for anything. That's the conclusion I came to. I hate seeing people give out advice that doesn't seem to be based off of anything that has happened in the real world. NOT saying anyone on here has done that.

Last, there are plenty of spec ops guys who have been dropping bad guys with 9mm. They said its all shot placement. I love 45 too. You got to practice and practice with what you carry. If you can afford bigger calibers and can handle the range time and be accurate, then you got a winner. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
I have done extensive research on this caliber argument and for good reason. I am a deputy and had to choose a duty weapon. Right now I carry a 9mm and I will tell you why.

Like others have said, shot placement is the number one priority. If you can't hit your target in the vital areas then you are risking your life. Second is you better be planning on multiple shots and if you can't deliver multiple shots in the same area you might be in trouble. I can shoot a whole mag of nine, rapid fire, and keep about a four to six inch group, both eyes open. My 45 group is a lot bigger and to me, with how the bad guys area nowadays, I want max ammo and what I am more accurate with.

I read a lot of after action reports and talked to a few guys who have been involved in shootings, and watched a lot of dash cams. It is never one shot, it's always rapid fire, moving while shooting, and all the guys said they don't remember seeing their sights. That's point shooting. As a ccw holder, you can't plan that it will go a down certain way. You HAVE to plan for anything. That's the conclusion I came to. I hate seeing people give out advice that doesn't seem to be based off of anything that has happened in the real world. NOT saying anyone on here has done that.

Last, there are plenty of spec ops guys who have been dropping bad guys with 9mm. They said its all shot placement. I love 45 too. You got to practice and practice with what you carry. If you can afford bigger calibers and can handle the range time and be accurate, then you got a winner. I hope this helps.
I like the way you think.

·
Registered
201 Posts

:handclap: for the well thought out post.

Hits with a .22 are better than misses with a .454 Casull.

Get the one YOU shoot better and are more comfortable with. Comfortable includes both shooting and feeding the gun; so if the .45 price tag will influence your practice, get the 9mm. If you are more confident with the .45, get that.

Capacity is also something to consider though; in my area, it used to be 1 or 2 bad guys doing something together, now it seems they recruit 5 or more to do the same terrorizing.

Actual crime numbers seem to be down, but the violence in those few seems to have ratcheted way, way up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts