Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to make a big deal, as all guns lines have a failure or 2. Just to make any other users aware. My buddies XD(m)45 5.25 is heading back to SA (great CS BTW). On first range test it would fail to go into battery on almost every round. He tried all types of factory ammo, stripped, cleaned and lubed, but could not get it to run, slide stopping about 1/8" short, a stiff tap and it would go into battery.
He is a very experienced shooter, instructor and has a lot of XDs, so knows his stuff, but could not remedy.
My 9mm 5.25 has been the opposite and eaten everything I have fed it.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
That is odd, glad he is sending it in.....

We have almost 2500 rounds through our's, not one single problem....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, think it is just one of those things. As I said, not scare-mongering or badmouthing SA. We (buddy and I) have a few XDs and m's between us and all have been flawless. I will update when he gets it back from SA.
Just wanted to make sure it was 'logged' in case others get an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Possible stiff ejector spring not pushing itself over the lip of the case? Ive heard of new pistols doing that before.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
my buddy had a brand new sig .357 that did that very thing, it eventually went away after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Possible stiff ejector spring not pushing itself over the lip of the case? Ive heard of new pistols doing that before.
First, there is no ejector spring,its pinned to the frame.

second, the ejector does not do anything to the "lip of the case",what ever that is.

don

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
First, there is no ejector spring,its pinned to the frame.

second, the ejector does not do anything to the "lip of the case",what ever that is.

don
He obviously meant extractor and case rim. Do you have anything productive to add?

You might also look into an extra power recoil spring. However, that may cause failure to eject.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
He obviously meant extractor and case rim. Do you have anything productive to add?

You might also look into an extra power recoil spring. However, that may cause failure to eject.
Correcting mis-information is enough in it self!

Once you start into the, obviously he meant some thing else, area then you are open to problems.

As to the problem, either the barrel is short chambered or the ammo is to long and is jamming into the chamber. Field strip and use the barrel for a go no go gauge with the ammo being used.

don

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Correcting mis-information is enough in it self!

Once you start into the, obviously he meant some thing else, area then you are open to problems.

As to the problem, either the barrel is short chambered or the ammo is to long and is jamming into the chamber. Field strip and use the barrel for a go no go gauge with the ammo being used.

don
Thank you :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

The XD line is NOT designed to have a round hand placed in the chamber then slam the slide closed over it. That action will damage the extractor. I hope that was not the action being taken.

I would be curious to learn the resolution of the OP's issue.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Ive put a round into the chamber lots of times and "dropped the slide" with never any issue or breakage. I would think that the people at springfield would have thought that action into consideration, hence the chamfer on the extractor itself. I am aware that there is no "spring" per say as the extractor itself acts as a spring.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Ive put a round into the chamber lots of times and "dropped the slide" with never any issue or breakage. I would think that the people at springfield would have thought that action into consideration, hence the chamfer on the extractor itself. I am aware that there is no "spring" per say as the extractor itself acts as a spring.
At some future date I expect to see a thread by you, about your broken extractor ... And at that time I will remember this thread, and your improper procedure ;)
I can drive my car over a square curb, but doing so repeatedly is gonna create a problem ... But the manual doesn't say not to do this, even if the car isn't designed to be operated that way.
The chamfer is for people who don't enderstand the design, and abuse their firearm ... Eventually you'll break the extractor.

Stop loading rounds this way, or you'll eventually be sending your gun to SA ... You can't buy an extractor from your LGS.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
At some future date I expect to see a thread by you, about your broken extractor ... And at that time I will remember this thread, and your improper procedure ;)
I can drive my car over a square curb, but doing so repeatedly is gonna create a problem ... But the manual doesn't say not to do this, even if the car isn't designed to be operated that way.
The chamfer is for people who don't enderstand the design, and abuse their firearm ... Eventually you'll break the extractor.

Stop loading rounds this way, or you'll eventually be sending your gun to SA ... You can't buy an extractor from your LGS.
I have read that and it says " Warning: Improperly loading the xd by manually inserting a round in the chamber may cause accidental discharge and possible damage to the extractor" so I do know the warning .

I also read that " use ONLY fresh factory ammunition such as Winchester, Remington, or Federal. DO NOT use hand loads, reloads, or remanufactured ammunition in your springfield firearm."

I wonder how many people abide by that rule??? I do know how the gun operates and that when a round is stripped from the mag it slides behind the extractor unlike how it slams on and bends over the rim of the cartridge when the bullet is just dropped in the barrel.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have read that and it says " Warning: Improperly loading the xd by manually inserting a round in the chamber may cause accidental discharge and possible damage to the extractor" so I do know the warning .

I also read that " use ONLY fresh factory ammunition such as Winchester, Remington, or Federal. DO NOT use hand loads, reloads, or remanufactured ammunition in your springfield firearm."

I wonder how many people abide by that rule??? I do know how the gun operates and that when a round is stripped from the mag it slides behind the extractor unlike how it slams on and bends over the rim of the cartridge when the bullet is just dropped in the barrel.
Well then knowing that it can result in damage to the extractor... why would you intentionally do it:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Well then knowing that it can result in damage to the extractor... why would you intentionally do it:rolleyes:
Not that I intentionally do it all the time. I have done it and its my belief that the xd is a quality gun and should be able to take the abuse set forth by the owner.
Again why do people use reloads or re manufactured ammo if they know it can cause harm and voids the warranty? As to where the extractor IF it should ever break is still covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would only do this in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't want to make a big deal, as all guns lines have a failure or 2. Just to make any other users aware. My buddies XD(m)45 5.25 is heading back to SA (great CS BTW). On first range test it would fail to go into battery on almost every round. He tried all types of factory ammo, stripped, cleaned and lubed, but could not get it to run, slide stopping about 1/8" short, a stiff tap and it would go into battery.
He is a very experienced shooter, instructor and has a lot of XDs, so knows his stuff, but could not remedy.
My 9mm 5.25 has been the opposite and eaten everything I have fed it.
Something is causing the cartridge to jump in front of the extractor. Thats why a stiff tap would send it to battery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts