Springfield XD Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to read about experiences with the XD-M 10 mm since I am considering it over the Glock 20. I live in black bear country up in a mountainous area and I want something that is dependable and that can handle Buffalo Bore's 220gr Hard Cast FN rounds in case I run into a black bear. They come by weekly in my yard and walk within feet by my walkout basement sliding glass door. I take out my three dogs at night and even though I light up the area, carry bear spray, and carry a .40 cal, I feel I need something a little more powerful in case of a bear attack.

Bear Video #1 and Bear Video #2

If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the XD-M 10 mm or knowing what you know now, would you buy or look into another manufacturer?
Heck yea I have the xdm 5.25 osp with a comp on the front. It handles the cartrage so good. Does not feel like a 10 . I'm actually gonna buy the xdm osp elite to carry which would be perfect for you and taking the dog out. Never thought I would own a polymer 10 mm but after watching clay martin 10k melt down for Springfield ,I gave it a shot and oh my god does it perform amazing . Shot the Glock but was not impressed ( co worker loves his Glock) I'm not a Glock fan boy but will give it it's dues. (It's just a proven work horse) but the xdm is a game changer for polymer 10 mm market. Love mine . It shoots like my 9 with the comp . And yes the hot rounds do just fine . I don't shoot watered down stuff what's the point. Check out Fenix ammo great company ,amazing ammo. Not horrible prices either .yes a little pricey but it is 10mm.they always been on pricey side best of luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hogwash, 10 MM in a 5.25 XDM is not too hard to handle, that short gripped and barreled S&W is going to be easier to handle That is a physically unlikely happening.
Heck no mine handles like my 9 .I got the comp on front never shot it without. I'm actually buying another 10 mm just to get the satisfaction of the 10mm feel . Springfield answered our dreams with this jewel

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Congrats! Wow, that look like it will be a hand full.
I really enjoy shooting it using full loads (Magtech .44 Mag 240gr SJSP Flat). Though, I haven't shot the Buffalo Bore .44 Mag 300gr JFN yet.

For me, the recoil is very controllable and is not a bother whether I'm shooting one-handed or two-handed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Heck yea I have the xdm 5.25 osp with a comp on the front. It handles the cartrage so good. Does not feel like a 10 . I'm actually gonna buy the xdm osp elite to carry which would be perfect for you and taking the dog out. Never thought I would own a polymer 10 mm but after watching clay martin 10k melt down for Springfield ,I gave it a shot and oh my god does it perform amazing . Shot the Glock but was not impressed ( co worker loves his Glock) I'm not a Glock fan boy but will give it it's dues. (It's just a proven work horse) but the xdm is a game changer for polymer 10 mm market. Love mine . It shoots like my 9 with the comp . And yes the hot rounds do just fine . I don't shoot watered down stuff what's the point. Check out Fenix ammo great company ,amazing ammo. Not horrible prices either .yes a little pricey but it is 10mm.they always been on pricey side best of luck
Thanks for posting! I ended up buying a Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag and carry it in a chest holster when taking the dogs out at night......still getting bears coming into the yard at night. The past cpouple of weeks, one fella was in the yard practically every night going to and coming from my next-door neighbor's property.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There seems to be a wave of change up in Alaska with folks dropping their big bore revolvers in favor of G20 and such. They all seem to think that the 10 is a much better choice. More rounds, quicker follow up shots, easier shootin, cheaper and more readily available ammo for practicing.
YMMV.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not just Alaska. Some smart people have put some thought into this trend.
I'm not that smart but have traded my .44 Magnum for a 10mm too.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts