Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to read about experiences with the XD-M 10 mm since I am considering it over the Glock 20. I live in black bear country up in a mountainous area and I want something that is dependable and that can handle Buffalo Bore's 220gr Hard Cast FN rounds in case I run into a black bear. They come by weekly in my yard and walk within feet by my walkout basement sliding glass door. I take out my three dogs at night and even though I light up the area, carry bear spray, and carry a .40 cal, I feel I need something a little more powerful in case of a bear attack.

Bear Video #1 and Bear Video #2

If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the XD-M 10 mm or knowing what you know now, would you buy or look into another manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have the 5.25” and love it. I would buy the 4.5” model if I was going to carry it regularly. The XDm 10 is a robust firearm that can handle any full power factory loaded ammo out there. I own Glocks too but not one in 10mm. Is the Xdm any better? I would say there isn’t much difference in quality and features, it’s all in personal preference. I wish Springfield would bring out the XDm 3.8” compact in 10mm to compete directly with the G29.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I have five 10MM's, a super EAA Witness Elite Match that shoots great, beautifully finished, but is really a heavy gun. Glock's 29 and 20 both Gen 4's, the 29 was my first 10 and i intended to CC it. I shot it accurately but hated the short fat grip, I should shoot it again I guess but it languishes, It would work for your purposes, be easier to carry and it handles and shoots well enough need be. The G-20 is a big improvement over the G-29, still a fat odd grip, but longer grip and is easier to control, the longer barrel allows for better sight radius and slightly more oomph from the same ammo, better recoil management too. My XDM10 4.5 is pretty much a direct competitor to the G-20. The grip handle of the XDM10 is way better for me though and the fixed sights are better than Glock's (Yes you can change them out on both guns, but stock the XD10 is better) The recoil favored the G-20, probably due to the fatter grip, but I have since put in a heavier 22 pound RSA and have yet to shoot it with that. Still I favor the XDM10 4.5 slightly over the G-20.

That leaves my XDM10 5.25 to talk about. Very accurate, better yet sights, better yet sight radius, same weight as the 4.5 due to the lightening cut in the slide. According to the Warden it has the best handling balance. I agree with her. She has appropriated both my/her XDM10's. I don't think I'll ever get the 5.25 back unless I buy another. I believe in the 5.25 period.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like the XDM 5.25" 10mm much better than the Glock so I bought one.

Reactions: CodeSection

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I very much appreciate it! Frankly, I cannot shoot Glocks well as compared to my XDSC .40.

I was initially was really only considering the XD-10 4.5" model and wearing it in a chest holster. But reading about your experiences with the 5.25" model, I'm second-guessing that thought. For whatever reason, I was thinking the 5.25" model would be too large and heavy. I just realized that is may not be the case.

For me, the XD-M 10 mm pistol really has only one purpose.....defending against a black bear. I CC the XDSC along with a bug so this new pistol will not be used for CC.

My SIL lives in the same area and he has an XDSC .40 as well. He hikes and fishes in various areas in CO and has the potential to run into a black bear.

If either of us carried the 5.25" model in a chest holster, will the extra .6" in length be awkward or difficult to draw from a chest holster?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the 5.25 and really like it. Between that and my 4.5 9mm I really don’t feel much difference in drawing it from a hip holster. When the adrenaline is pumping you can draw anything pretty fast. :D The XD grip angle fits my hands better than a Glock and the sights line up automatically, just pull, point and bang. Something to think about when in a hurry. Perfect practice makes perfect.;)

·
Registered
29,798 Posts
Having owned several 10mm’s, including G20’s, S&W 1006 & 1076, Witness & Elite Match, Delta Elites...also owned XDm’s...

I’d get a S&W 657 and load it with a hot 255grHCFN over any and all 10mm’s. Much heavier hitting. 10mm is pretty much a .357magnum in power levels when it comes right down to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having owned several 10mm’s, including G20’s, S&W 1006 & 1076, Witness & Elite Match, Delta Elites...also owned XDm’s...

I’d get a S&W 657 and load it with a hot 255grHCFN over any and all 10mm’s. Much heavier hitting. 10mm is pretty much a .357magnum in power levels when it comes right down to it.
I do not know much about the .41 magnums, though I have been trying to read and watch YouTube videos on them as compared to the 10 mm and .44 REM since you posted. I was at one point considering the Ruger Alaskan 2.5" .44 REM, but I was concerned about recoil and the ability to place an accurate second or even a third shot in a defensive situation.

The videos I watched tonight show a much larger recoil with the .41 magnum as compared to the 10 mm. I realize the .41 may be a better choice ballistically, but my fear of being able to place follow-up shots on target due to the recoil is of concern. I thought the XD-M 10mm while less superior to the .44 or .41 ballistically, at least allows me to be able to place follow-up shots more easily due to less recoil, is lighter to carry by at least 1 lb, and can hold 15+1 rounds vs 6 rounds.

At the end of the day, I hope to never have to use any weapon against a bear, but if the situation arises, I want to be able to adequately defend myself and my wife if the bear spray we carry is ineffective to scare away a bear or stop any type of charge. It was my hope that the XD-M 10mm would at least give us time to retreat back into our home. My SIL situation would be different since he would be in an area where he could not retreat into a building or home.

Here's another bear video with a mother and her cub experiencing the first snow of the season last fall.... Bear Video #3

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I think your XD40 SC is all you need for a black bear. While a very few might be 500-600 pounds most adult Black Bears are under 400,

·
Registered
29,798 Posts
I do not know much about the .41 magnums, though I have been trying to read and watch YouTube videos on them as compared to the 10 mm and .44 REM since you posted. I was at one point considering the Ruger Alaskan 2.5" .44 REM, but I was concerned about recoil and the ability to place an accurate second or even a third shot in a defensive situation.

The videos I watched tonight show a much larger recoil with the .41 magnum as compared to the 10 mm. I realize the .41 may be a better choice ballistically, but my fear of being able to place follow-up shots on target due to the recoil is of concern. I thought the XD-M 10mm while less superior to the .44 or .41 ballistically, at least allows me to be able to place follow-up shots more easily due to less recoil, is lighter to carry by at least 1 lb, and can hold 15+1 rounds vs 6 rounds.

At the end of the day, I hope to never have to use any weapon against a bear, but if the situation arises, I want to be able to adequately defend myself and my wife if the bear spray we carry is ineffective to scare away a bear or stop any type of charge. It was my hope that the XD-M 10mm would at least give us time to retreat back into our home. My SIL situation would be different since he would be in an area where he could not retreat into a building or home.

Here's another bear video with a mother and her cub experiencing the first snow of the season last fall.... Bear Video #3
The thing is, that lighter weight of the XDm is going to make a hot 10mm harder to handle. All those extra rounds don’t help if you’re just spraying them due to lack of recoil control.

I’ve run hot 10mm loads through several of the pistols mentioned earlier; a revolver is easier to handle. You could run a downloaded .41 to 10mm levels, and that would be positively tame & easy to control.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
The thing is, that lighter weight of the XDm is going to make a hot 10mm harder to handle. All those extra rounds don’t help if you’re just spraying them due to lack of recoil control.

I’ve run hot 10mm loads through several of the pistols mentioned earlier; a revolver is easier to handle. You could run a downloaded .41 to 10mm levels, and that would be positively tame & easy to control.

Food for thought.
Hogwash, 10 MM in a 5.25 XDM is not too hard to handle, that short gripped and barreled S&W is going to be easier to handle That is a physically unlikely happening.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Food for thought.
I'm still researching and watching videos, but the recoil on the .41 seems harsh. While I reload, I would not want to use any reloads in a defensive situation. I was planning on using Buffalo Bore's Hardcast FN and I cannot find any .41s that are "downloaded to 10 mm levels". Could you point me to a specific round you were thinking about?

10 mm recoil vs .44 recoil The recoil can be seen starting at the 5:06 mark and continues.....granted it is comparing the .44 and not the .41.

657 .41 recoil The recoil can be seen at 2:10 mark. I believe he is using a 210gr and the recoil and flip-up look pretty strong. Buffalo Bore's Heavy .41 Magnum Outdoorsman comes in 230gr and 265gr which I believe would increase the recoil even more.....

I appreciate your thought-provoking posts!

I think your XD40 SC is all you need for a black bear. While a very few might be 500-600 pounds most adult Black Bears are under 400,
Thanks for posting! I was just going by Buffalo Bore's recommendation and experience with shooting their .40 200gr Hardcast FN using a Kahr PM40 3" barrel in which they noticed a reliability issue with the "micro 40s" .....Buffalo Bore .40 Hardcast Data. Therefore, I thought the better solution was to get a longer barrel when using a semi-auto.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....That leaves my XDM10 5.25 to talk about. Very accurate, better yet sights, better yet sight radius, same weight as the 4.5 due to the lightening cut in the slide. According to the Warden it has the best handling balance. I agree with her. She has appropriated both my/her XDM10's. I don't think I'll ever get the 5.25 back unless I buy another. I believe in the 5.25 period.
I have been rereading the various posts and I really did not notice and understand the "lightening cut" statement you wrote above until now. Just looking at that and not really knowing anything about it, I can only think of potential problems with it....stuff falling into it.....possible snagging on something.... What am I missing?

As for the sights, I would at least be replacing both sights on the 4.5" and perhaps only the front sight on the 5.25" with something easier to see at night like the Tritium Speed Sights below. Here they are on my SIL's and my XDSC.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but if you go with the XDM, order a 20 and 22 pound recoil spring from Wolff. The 5.25 & 4.5 take the same spring. The 20# will work with about any load, even ones down to 1000 FPS and up to 1250. At least mine does. If your going to feed it full gonzo loads, like 200g @ 1300+ install the 22# spring. It really helps with the recoil and takes much of the snap out of it, helps get back on target quicker. Also helps keep your brass within the same country your in. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but if you go with the XDM, order a 20 and 22 pound recoil spring from Wolff. The 5.25 & 4.5 take the same spring. The 20# will work with about any load, even ones down to 1000 FPS and up to 1250. At least mine does. If your going to feed it full gonzo loads, like 200g @ 1300+ install the 22# spring. It really helps with the recoil and takes much of the snap out of it, helps get back on target quicker. Also helps keep your brass within the same country your in. :)
Thanks for the tip! Is there a particular vendor that is recommended like GunSprings? What about the guide rod?

I have been doing a lot of reading this week so I may be mixing pistols, but I thought some people were replacing the guide rod. If so, why?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes Gunsprings is Wolff. I know of a few people that had installed PRP guide rods but it seems they were having breakage problems. Don’t know if the got that resolved or not. I just used my stock tube. Others have filled the stock tube with lead for more weight too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the XDM10 5.25" and have shot the Gluck20 plenty. They are very similar and fill the same role for me, but I never liked the Gluck grip angle, sproingy trigger and sights...and I so dislike like having to pull the trigger for take down. I almost got the G20, but I'm so glad the XDM10 came along just in time. Way better trigger, awesome sights and it points very well for me, OOB. I have a 5.11 chest pack that works well for field carry. It's weight does not detract much from follow up shots, and although I've tried the various recoil spring weights and the dense/heavy tungsten guide rod, I could not discern any felt recoil difference. YMMV

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 10mm XDM is not harsh even with heavy full power loads.
The cutout on the 5.25" is not unique in the hand gun world, look at the Beretta 92 our military uses.
Many outdoors people in brown bear country are trading their heavy revolvers for 10mm pistols, there is a definite pattern. No cocking or heavy double action trigger pull results in better accuracy in emergencies.
Lots of government agencies issue 10mm pistols in big bear territory. The Greenland Sirius Patrol uses 10mm as backup to their rifles for protection from musk ox and polar bears.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Now for some opinion. Tritium sights are over rated, if you need lit up sights can you see the target? I have tritium sights on some guns and lasers and lights are more effective IMO. YMMV.
I have a Streamlight TLR-8 G on my XDM 5.25" 10mm. A very nice combo.

Reactions: CodeSection
1 - 20 of 59 Posts