Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local PD that was issuing XDs has decided to go back to Blocks. There were apparently too many exploded guide rods and sights falling off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
How does a guide rod explode? Sights faling off, people can't get te sights off with a mack truck. I don't buy it. My guess is that Glock came in and somehow sweetened the deal or someone in charge likes Glocks better.

ranburr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
ranburr said:
How does a guide rod explode? Sights faling off, people can't get te sights off with a mack truck. I don't buy it. My guess is that Glock came in and somehow sweetened the deal or someone in charge likes Glocks better.

ranburr
That's probably what happened.

I call BS on all three of those claims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
ranburr said:
How does a guide rod explode? Sights faling off, people can't get te sights off with a mack truck. I don't buy it. My guess is that Glock came in and somehow sweetened the deal or someone in charge likes Glocks better.

ranburr
Wow, that PD has experienced problems that absolutely no one has heard of yet. And yup, those sights are a mother to remove. It seems highly unlikely they'd fall off on their own. Strange...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,947 Posts
the cap of the assembly un screws and fall apart inside the pistol ala rngerxlt`s xd

jeep plese send me the dept`s name i hvae been trying to get more info on the situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I have heard of 2 people(both here on the forum) having problems with sights falling off or loose, but I cannot imagine it being such a big issue as to get rid of the whole lot and go back to block.

This just doesn't pass the smell test. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
jeep2919 said:
My local PD that was issuing XDs has decided to go back to Blocks. There were apparently too many exploded guide rods and sights falling off.
I think it's BS too, but...All the more reasons to go with DGR/Wolfe Spring and Ameriglo Night Sights. I did and my XD is still cheaper than a Glock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
where do you get the wolf springs and quide rods


steve :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
pistol-gear.com
or
xd-hs2000.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,135 Posts
Sylvania?
Toledo?
Holland?
Rossford?
Maumee?
Perrysburg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't have time to elaborate yesterday, so here's some more info. About a year ago, SPD started issuing XD as an option. My friend and a few others on the force preferred them over the Glock for the same reasons as we do. I talked to my friend earlier this year and he said they were having problems with their XDs. The guide rods were coming apart (nothing new) and jamming up the weapons. Springfield was honoring the warranty but the problem just happened again with the new guide rod. (I believe that all malfunctions occured at the range since this is not a high crime area.) I explained to him that there were after market options to fix this problem. He said he would mention it to the armorer and I sent a PM to Don. Fast forward to yesterday and I found out that they had decided to just replace all of their XDs with the Glocks that they originally issued and were still issuing to some of the officers (they have a choice). The reasons cited were the guide rod coming apart and sights falling off. I know that these are not big issues for gun enthusiasts but I think it comes down to the fact that the PD wants to issue a weapon and be done not upgrade this and change that.

I have been coming to this site since Feb of 2004 and if you think that the guide rod coming apart and sights falling off are problems I made up, you haven't been paying attention. :roll: Having said that, I will add that I have had zero problems with my XD .40 since I picked it up in March 2004 and it would take a sledge hammer to get my sights off. It does appear that my guide rod is coming apart as I can almost see a full circle were the weld is. One of these days I'll get a Don's/wolff setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ajamesp51 said:
the cap of the assembly un screws and fall apart inside the pistol ala rngerxlt`s xd

jeep plese send me the dept`s name i hvae been trying to get more info on the situation.
It is the Sylvania PD but you probably won't find much info, it is not a big dept. and was probably not issuing that many XDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
jeep2919 said:
I have been coming to this site since Feb of 2004 and if you think that the guide rod coming apart and sights falling off are problems I made up, you haven't been paying attention. :roll:
I am not saying YOU made it up. I'm calling BS on your Dept's reason for switching. Looks like they took a couple of very easily fixable problems and used it as a reason to please Glock enthusiasts...and I'm sure Glock Inc sweetened the deal for them and made it that much easier to switch over.
jeep2919 said:
I explained to him that there were after market options to fix this problem. He said he would mention it to the armorer...it comes down to the fact that the PD wants to issue a weapon and be done not upgrade this and change that.
Isn't that the job of an armorer? Heck, the DGR/Wolfe upgrade takes any idiot 2 min to do...and the armorer can do the sights in about 15 min.
jeep2919 said:
It does appear that my guide rod is coming apart as I can almost see a full circle were the weld is. One of these days I'll get a Don's/wolff setup.
You bought your XD40 in March 2004 and have yet to spend $25 on one of the best mods for an XD? :shock: You've said it yourself that you see a potential problem brewing. What are you waiting on? Trust us...for $25 you won't be disappointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
jeep2919 wrote:
I explained to him that there were after market options to fix this problem. He said he would mention it to the armorer...it comes down to the fact that the PD wants to issue a weapon and be done not upgrade this and change that.

Isn't that the job of an armorer?
Not at all. Most departments avoid aftermarket "upgrades" like the plague, because they are concerned that they will give a civil attorney "ammunition" in any subsequent excessive force suit. I couldn't agree more, when it comes to duty guns. Anything the plaintiff alleges, however ridiculous, has to be answered- and your attorneys don't do this for free. The less legal crap you have to defend against, the faster, easier and cheaper it is to settle these things.

They do, however, keep the guns running consistent with whatever they were taught at a particular manufacturer's "armorer school", and regulate sights and such as necessary.

Springfield wants to market these guns to LE and the military. They didn't pick the name "Extreme Duty" out of a hat. Consequently, SFA's LE Sales folks need to do two things. One, see to it that the guns are issued with guide rod assemblies that will hold up for 10,000 rounds minimum. Second- make sure that any dept. or officer who is using these guns, gets free replacement assemblies if needed.

You bought your XD40 in March 2004 and have yet to spend $25 on one of the best mods for an XD?
Neither have I, and I have no intention to do so for the reasons stated above. This isn't a knock on Don's product. My stock unit is holding up fine- and I while I might lay in a couple of spare OEM units, I learned a long time ago- "If it ain't broke- DON"T fix it."

You are correct about most LE folks being prejudiced for the Glock. I just ain't one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't that the job of an armorer? Heck, the DGR/Wolfe upgrade takes any idiot 2 min to do...and the armorer can do the sights in about 15 min.
I agree but I dont think they want to add aftermarket parts. The sights are a non-issue in my opinion.




You bought your XD40 in March 2004 and have yet to spend $25 on one of the best mods for an XD? You've said it yourself that you see a potential problem brewing. What are you waiting on?
I have been adding to the gun collection. 3 pistols and 2 rifles(1 stripped lower) since then plus the ammo to feed them. A Don's/wolff setup is next on the agenda especially since even $25 is gonna be tough to come by with my first little one on the way :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
invssgt said:
Not at all. Most departments avoid aftermarket "upgrades" like the plague, because they are concerned that they will give a civil attorney "ammunition" in any subsequent excessive force suit.
Good to go. Marine Corps doesn't like us modding our weapons either, but for different reasons (we do it anyways though :wink: )
invssgt said:
Neither have I, and I have no intention to do so for the reasons stated above. This isn't a knock on Don's product. My stock unit is holding up fine- and I while I might lay in a couple of spare OEM units, I learned a long time ago- "If it ain't broke- DON"T fix it."
I guess we all have our reasons for doing what we do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
jeep2919 said:
I have been adding to the gun collection. 3 pistols and 2 rifles(1 stripped lower) since then plus the ammo to feed them. A Don's/wolff setup is next on the agenda especially since even $25 is gonna be tough to come by with my first little one on the way :D
Congrads on the little one

I know this sounds wierd, but the old lady and I decided to throw our change that we get during the day in a jar, just to see how much we could come up with. We checked about a month later and had a little more than $20 in there. I'm not saying to save up for gun stuff this way, but kids are expensive and every little bit helps. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Gee,
Glocks never fail do they?????

I've seen glock sights fall off, as they are plastic. I've seen their plastic guide rods get chewed to pieces......

I smell a big stink.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top