Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an XD 9mm and have it in my glove box while I am in work. The temps can get pretty low at night sometimes down to zero. My question is, is it ok to leave it in there or will the cold temps hurt it?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It will be fine, but I would hesitate to shove it in an IWB holster.
I have done this with my XDs after a night shift here recently. I woke up real quick.. :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
OP these guns are made in Croatia, which is not the warmest of countries. As mentioned in an earlier post, the oil can gum up and cause major problems. As for the gun itself it won't hurt it. Maybe clean your gun really good and make sure that there is only oil in the places specified in your user's manual and not in abundance.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
Right.

Unless you are using a heavy grease as lube, extreme cold is not going to have any effect on its functioning.

I have taken other pistols, including HK's, Glocks, and a 1911, and let them sit out overnight in temps as low as -25F. All were lubed with typical gun lubes--CLP, Hoppes Oil, TW-25, etc.

All ran an entire magazine 100%.

So don't sweat it...

Unless, of course, you don't think a XD is as reliable as a Glock, or an HK, or a 1911...:twisted:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you are going to leave a firearm in a vehicle it is best to invest in a car safe that is either permanently mounted or secured with a cable. A simple key operated one works but you can invest in one that is either biometric or requires you to key in a code. If you go the electronic route make sure you change the batteries regularly. I have a biometric one with a key backup that secures with a cable that I can loop around my seat anchor.

Reactions: rcc and ZanderMan

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are going to leave a firearm in a vehicle it is best to invest in a car safe that is either permanently mounted or secured with a cable. A simple key operated one works but you can invest in one that is either biometric or requires you to key in a code. If you go the electronic route make sure you change the batteries regularly. I have a biometric one with a key backup that secures with a cable that I can loop around my seat anchor.
I have the mvb500 for this purpose. Works great and if you ever need to swap to a different vehicle it takes all of 30 seconds.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Does cold have any effect on the burning of the gun powder? I wonder if leaving the gun, loaded of course, in the cold would cause the powder to burn less efficiently or slower? I suspect it has no effect but I am curious?

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats a good question. I have seen on youtube torture tests they froze an XD and it fired perfectly. I know you can't believe everything you see internet but it appeared legit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A couple weeks ago I took my competition XDM out to the range. It was cold out, in the 30s, with a cold wind chill.
For the first time since I've owned my pistol my XDM had light primer strikes. I'm talking almost every round. I was using Geco 45 ammo and there the pistol was clean as a whistle. Needless to say I was let down as this is the first time I've had any trouble.
As it turns out, lube was gumming up the striker channel. It's easy to get some in there when you clean your pistol and some products turn gummy when they get cold so it's important to keep lube out of your striker channel by cleaning it once in a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple weeks ago I took my competition XDM out to the range. It was cold out, in the 30s, with a cold wind chill.
For the first time since I've owned my pistol my XDM had light primer strikes. I'm talking almost every round. I was using Geco 45 ammo and there the pistol was clean as a whistle. Needless to say I was let down as this is the first time I've had any trouble.
As it turns out, lube was gumming up the striker channel. It's easy to get some in there when you clean your pistol and some products turn gummy when they get cold so it's important to keep lube out of your striker channel by cleaning it once in a while.
A little off the topic at hand but would you recommend the Geco 45 ammo? Been looking for some decently priced ammo for my XD45 and found it for $17 for a box of 50. I've seen good reviews elsewhere but just wondering how it does through these guns. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts