Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The USPSA BoD finally released the minutes from the meeting to discuss the IPSC rule changes for 2004 and the USPSA modifications to them. For the XD in Production, the BoD could not reach a consensus on a definition of the trigger action on the XD. (From reading the USPSA forum, the feeling is that it should be in production.) Instead they have decided to establish an "approved pistol list" as did IPSC. The list is not yet established, SO NOW is the time to get your input on the inclusion of the XD in the Production Division.
Inputs from current USPSA members, folks considering joining USPSA only if the XD can be used in Production, and especially LEOs using the XD as their duty pistol and desiring to compete with it.
If the XD is not allowed in Production, you will be using it to compete in the Limited and Limited 10 Divisions against tricked out 1911/2011 style pistols with little to no pre-travel, and a 2 lb trigger pull, not to mention using up to 28+ round magazines in Limited.
John Amidon, VP of USPSA will be developing the approved pistol list.
Your input in easy. Simply email him at:

[email protected]

Express your desire for the XD to be in the Production Division, and maybe an explanation of why.
Be courteous, he is a nice fellow doing a good job!!
Your input is needed REAL soon!!!
Step forward, or sit in the cheap seats!

[ December 04, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: R Dub ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
R Dub
I sent my e-mail explaining my feelings. I enjoy shooting USPSA and would really hate not being able to shoot Production. It's obviously the class where the XD's belong. I hope they don't make the same mistake the IDPA did by excluding the XD's from the proper division.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sidetracker. Hopefully there will be enough input to sway the decision. (Atleast in IDPA the the playing field is leveled somewhat by mag capacity limits and lower round counts on stages.)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Originally posted by Sidetracker:
R Dub
I sent my e-mail explaining my feelings. I enjoy shooting USPSA and would really hate not being able to shoot Production. It's obviously the class where the XD's belong. I hope they don't make the same mistake the IDPA did by excluding the XD's from the proper division.
Some of us feel that the XDs are where they should be, it's the Glocks that are misplaced.
But most of the people where I compete just don't care, we compare on an overall basis. Kind of a "run what you brung" approach, although we DO follow all the IDPA rules. We have to, the top competitors are all Safety Officers and Match Directors :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snake-eater. I don't disagree with that, but we'll have to engage the IDPA conflict if/when the IDPA BoD avail themselves to membership input. Right now we have the opportunity for input to make it right in USPSA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Snake-eater
What I meant was, for a organization to put Glocks and XDs into different divisions is really splitting hairs. For a Rob Leatham or someone at that level the technical differences may matter but for the other 99.9% of shooters I think they should look at the "spirit" of the rules.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Right now I compete only in IDPA with my XD-9. So, I'm not in a position to comment on the USPSA decision, but I do think that some modernization of the IDPA rules might help. The distinction between SSP and ESP that was based on the kind of action the pistol had probably made sense at one time. But now the distinction between the Glock action and the XD action is pretty thin. The Glock is technically a DA, while the XD is technically a SA. But to me it would make more sense to align the divisions based on trigger characteristics and standard magazine capacity.

I would put all the stock 10-round capacity semi-autos with trigger pulls of 5.5 pounds or greater into the same class.

As it stands, with the growing popularity of the XD-9's and XD-40's in IDPA, they will soon dominate the ESP class. That, to me, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense since they aren't all that different from the SSP pistols.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts