Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on here that many of you who bought your pistols during a certain time frame and didnt buy the package deal contacted SA and then received the mag and holster after the fact. Well I contacted SA and they told me I couldnt get it and it was only available Jan 1st through Feb 15th. Am I being misleade? heres the email i wrote to them and the email i got back.

Michael,

The promotion you are talking about was special packaged XD’s and it was for a limited time only, which was January 1st through February 15th.

Thank you

Dawn

Dealer Customer Service Rep

Springfield Inc.

[email protected]

1-800-680-6866

ext. 977

fax 309-944-8490

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Larocque Michael J SrA 355 EMS/MXMWMC [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:14 PM
To: Dawn Oleson
Subject: Holster and mag deal

Hello, my name is Michael LaRocque and I purchased an XD-40 in Dec. 2004. When I purchased my pistol there were no dealers in my area that had the holster and magazine packages. I am part of a XD online forum and a lot of the members have written about contacting Springfield and receiving the holster and magazine after the fact. I would appreciate if someone could please contact me about this.

Thank you,

Michael J. LaRocque

United States Air Force

·
Registered
539 Posts
I contacted SA via telephone about the same matter and the gentelmen i spoke with informed me of the same. He said that for guns purchased in that same time period as they were releasing the promo packages that their company was honoring the special for those who hadn't been able to get a promo pkg. However, he said they stopped doing that a while ago and that if you're lucky you may still be able to pick one of the promo packages taht may still be floating around out there.

So if you're like me and already got one but purchased it recently, well you're **** outta luck. Hope that helps.

Eric.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not that it would make a difference. I bought my XD-9 in January (within the qualifying time frame), I sent in my proof of purchase etc and my check, they promptly cashed my check...but here it is APRIL!!!! and I still have not gotten squat from them, I have called several times and each time they tell me that it will be sent out the following week...I seriously have remained calm when I call them, but it is getting really ridiculous.
It doesn't change the way I feel about my XD, but it sure the hell changes the way I feel about SA and their supposed great Customer Service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't gotten my stuff from them yet either. I bought my XD9 on December 24th and called them in early January. Gave 'em credit card info for shipping and faxed a copy of my receipt. Still nothing.

I'm not too impressed with SA's customer service these days. :?

·
Registered
813 Posts
The promo deal was given to those who bought XDs during December/January but they had to have called and asked for the promo package no later than January 31st. They only had a limited supply of extra kits since they were given with the gun during that time so even those of us who called in and got them ordered are still waiting as they fill the orders with the new stuff coming in. I ordered mine back in January and still have not gotten mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
FunkyJunk said:
I'm not too impressed with SA's customer service these days. :?
It seems that those of us who are waiting the longest are SC owners since it appears the XD-Xdtension Magazines are still unavailable.

The most annoying fact is that many of us are waiting on our extras because we were unable to buy the package from dealers. I realize SA doesn't have much control of its supply chain, but Springfield is fulfilling orders for the Xtensions to sit in inventory. SA shouldn't have bothered running the ad that we all saw if they couldn't fulfill supply.

Additionally, knowing full well that they were running a promotion, SA should have overplanned the inventory. The plastic injection molded sleeve probably costs nothing, yet the XD-Xtension sells for ~$35; $20 for the magazine and $15 for the plastic! :shock:
-hype

·
Registered
102 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time in the Springfield booth at the SHOT Show, in January, and talked extensively with several reps. They don't have the extended magazines and grip adaptors to sell, so they can't ship what they don't have.

I ordered three of the XC SC combination packages at the show from AcuSport, which had the exclusive on that package until Feb. 1st. I also tried to order extra magazine grip adaptors, both from AcuSport and Springfield, and there are none to be had. By the time I got home from the show, the three packages I ordered had arrived, and they still won't take orders for the grip adaptors, due to the fact they can't get them. Once again, they can't ship what they don't have, so complaining about their customer service is pointless at this time.

I feel that if they promised to honor some of the requests for the package deal for those who didn't buy the actual package, they were going above and beyond what they were required to do, because the package deal was just that, a package. At the time, it was only offered through AcuSport, so if your dealer didn't place his orders through them, then they couldn't get the package. The next package was an exclusive through another distributor for the first month, so your dealer could only get it through that distributor for that period of time. Once the initial exclusive period is over, then the package is offered to all Springfield's distributors.

I hope this helps to explain why there aren't any of the grip extensions for the sub compact guns being shipped at this time. They don't know when they will be shipped, because they don't know when they will get them from the vendor. Springfield is at the mercy of the vendors, but they take the blame for not shipping what they can't get. I guess that's just part of the business.

Fred

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rather than quote out your post I'll just say 3 things....

1) Because of the supply chain of the product, Springfield has little control of what the distributors, dealers, etc. do.

2) Due to the low supply of the packages, some dealers that could get the package were raising prices on the XD Package above their normal retail pricing (or were already higher to begin with).

3) Springfield did not have adequate supply to meet an acceptable level of distribution for NORMAL XD sales; thus they created this mess for themselves by running the promotion. Marketing obviously wasn't talking to production, procurement, whoever's responsibility it was for meeting demand.

It's good you were able to order your packages, but for the rest of the customers who didn't attend the SHOT show (99.99%), who are not dealers, and who do not have friends in the business the package was fairly difficult to find at normal XD prices.

IMHO the deal was great for the distributor, but many of us who knew about the package for over a month weren't able to get one. In addition, to this day the package exists, but I've only seen them at the more expensive dealers where the XD & XD-Xtension remain in inventory.
-hype

·
Registered
102 Posts
The pricing of the packages at the dealer level was the fault of the dealers, not Springfield. The package only cost $1.00 more than the regular package. I know there were some dealers who were taking the extra magazines out of the package and selling them separately, and others who jacked up the price another $75 or more. That's not good business, but again, it's not Springfield's fault that they do that.

If you've ever run a business, there is really no way to tell how much of a product you're going to need. You don't know if it's going to go over or not, so most companies play it conservative, because if the product doesn't sell, it cost "dollar value" sitting in a warehouse, gaining no profit. When the product isn't moving out the door, each day it sets costs more money. Having a larger demand than product ensures future business, which makes the business profitable. Without profits, there will be no business.

There are many examples of companies that manufactured large numbers of a certain product, only to have the product bomb. The Edsel is a great example of this.

I'm really not trying to defend Springfield, or it's business practices, but rather explain the realities of doing business in the total world environment, where companies are made or broken by making good judgement calls. In this case, maybe they should have gambled by filling a warehouse with these products prior to announcing them, but they didn't, and I'm sure there were sound reasons for doing so. Springfield really isn't a mega corporation. They are a rather small company that has done well. When I first started buying 1911's from them, they had one guy building them, and that was in the early 80's. They've done well and I wish them well, but they've only done well because they've made some good decisions. Picking up the HS 2000 and putting their name on it was a good decision.

On another note, those of you waiting for the promotional holster, it's no big deal. Mine will end up in the unused holster box, which I refer to as the "graveyard for holsters". However, the grip extension is a great idea, and matches the rest of the grip perfectly.

To those interested, it was originally designed by cutting off the bottom of an actual XD grip and placing it on a full size magazine. The problem was it was loose and fell off when the magazine was released from the gun, so they redesigned it to fit the magazine snugly and stay on when the magazine is dropped from the grip.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Get use to it guy's. This is America! And corporate America grabs the money first. Then they deal will supply. I ordered two plants two months ago. Took a month to get one plant and have not recieved the other plant yet. They got your money, you can wait.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Last reply from me:
Though I'd like to get my package, I'm aware of the problems SA has to deal with. I'm glad SA is honoring the package though I couldn't find one, but IMHO this promotion was a deal for the distributors and dealers, not the customers.

Taking a cue from the retail industry, the only true way to make sure price savings, extras, etc. are passed on to the customer is to offer a rebate. Gun manufacturers are familiar with this because when you bought a post ban gun with 10 round magazines they had you send the magazines to them, at which time they would send you the higher capacity magazines. Any 15 round magazines sent with new pistols would have been replaced by dealers with 10 round magazines and sold at a profit :/
-hype

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, still waiting here for my hicap sc mags. :cry: Called Springfield today, and even though they cashed my check at the end of February, the rep told me it will probably be another month. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to add that I found a note on my door today saying that FedEx has a package for me from Springfield Armory. I'm supposed to sign it and leave it for the guy when he comes around tomorrow.

I purchased my XD SC9 back in the beginning of january, and mailed Springfield a check on 1/11/05. They cashed it about 2 weeks later.

I'll report again as to whether or not it contains the holster, mag AND the extension.

Hope FedEx visits the rest of you soon...

·
Registered
182 Posts
~ferrarius said:
Just wanted to add that I found a note on my door today saying that FedEx has a package for me from Springfield Armory. I'm supposed to sign it and leave it for the guy when he comes around tomorrow.

I purchased my XD SC9 back in the beginning of january, and mailed Springfield a check on 1/11/05. They cashed it about 2 weeks later.

I'll report again as to whether or not it contains the holster, mag AND the extension.

Hope FedEx visits the rest of you soon...
Ironically I received my FedEx package today as well. The contents was the holster only with no mention of the magazine on the packing slip. IIRC someone else mentioned that the magazine was listed on theirs, so we'll just have to wait and see if I receive anything later.

As mentioned by others there are better holsters out there (one of which I own), so I was really hoping the XD-Xtension would be in the box. :/
-hype

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would just like to get my stuff. I live in California, so I cannot have the Hi-cap mags. So that throws out the supply problem of the Hi-caps. Being a businessman myself...it is much better to promise 50% and deliver 51% than it is to promise 100% and deliver 99.999%. If they cash your check, take a payment...then they should be ready to deliver a promise. Here it is 3 months after they cashed my check and made a promise...3 MONTHS! Bottom line is that they should never have stated their promise, if they weren't ready to deliver. We aren't talking about a Mom-n-Pop operation here...we are talking about Springfield Armoury.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I received my holster today as well. My order was processed on January 11th and still no mag. I talked with someone at Springfield today and was told that the mags were not available and would be shipped as soon as they get them. Oh well, what can you do?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts