Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I've only owned an XD for about a year, and my Glock 26 for only a few months. I came from shooting revolvers, Smith and Wesson autos, SIG Sauers, H&Ks and 1911s. When I started getting into shooting the XDs and the Glocks, I noticed that my trigger finger was not used to the trigger safety of the XD/Glock and that after about 200 rounds, I developed XD/Glock finger. Basically, it feel slike it has been rubbed raw and it is swollen a bit. I have played guitar for about 15 years, so I am familiar with callous development. After taking my HS2000 to the range for 200 rounds today, I notice that my trigger finger could really use some extra padding on the lower part of the pad. I'm not one to wear gloves, so I'll just have to shoot it more and develop that callous. Anyone else ever notice this from transitioning from other firearms designs? I can't imagine if I took a Glock or an XD/HS to a training class. I'd probably be bleeding from the finger tips! :lol: Some 1911 shooters, like myself, typically have that scar from hammer bite (assuming they have experience with non-beavertailed safeties and use a high hold) so I'm wondering if your XD/Glock guys have ultra tough trigger fingers? I guess when I'm done, shooters will be able to look at my hands and tell which firearms I own! :p

Any thoughs? Experiences?

B9

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
you must have sensitive skin...or a piece of sandpaper taped to your trigger.

i have never had any problems, and i dont see how the trigger can rub your finger raw? you are the second person i have heard this from and i cant figure out how it happens.

can you give some detail on how your pulling the trigger?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe that's it! I'm used to shooting the short-trigger 1911s or the traditional double action auto, so I am using the tip of my finger to pull the trigger in order to eliminate lateral movement to the left. With the double action autos, I use the pad of the finger for the double action pull and shift to the tip of the pad for the single action shots. This works perfectly for me with my SIGs and my 1911s. Perhaps I should go to using the joint of the finger instead? :?:

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
boricua9mm said:
Maybe that's it! I'm used to shooting the short-trigger 1911s or the traditional double action auto, so I am using the tip of my finger to pull the trigger in order to eliminate lateral movement to the left. With the double action autos, I use the pad of the finger for the double action pull and shift to the tip of the pad for the single action shots. This works perfectly for me with my SIGs and my 1911s. Perhaps I should go to using the joint of the finger instead? :?:
I get it too. When my XD goes in, whenever that is, it will be smoothed by the custom shop.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Never had the problem from a XD. Now CZ-P01 has really bad trigger design, so does Walther P99, keeps pinching my finger between trigger and frame. Must be my large hands.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You obvuously have one of the XD's that is all ****ed up. You need to send it to me right away so that I can shoot it a bunch of times and make sure it is working properly. PM me, I will pay the shipping no problemo'.

Raymond

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmmm. I've heard this with Glocks but don't own one. I have a very sensitive finger, even had the trigger on a 1911 replaced 'cause the hole for the overtravel adjustment bothered me...but I've never had a problem with my XDs...and I shoot them a lot even in USPSA competion. I like the wideness of the XD trigger. It seems to distribute the force whereas some 1911 triggers seem to be narrower and thus the force on the serrations is noticable to me. I'm having Yost smooth out the trigger serrations right now on a custom 1911 job.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I noticed that my trigger finger was not used to the trigger safety of the XD/Glock and that after about 200 rounds, I developed XD/Glock finger."

If you're not used to it 200 rounds will make the finger pad sore or sensitive. See it all the time in the Handgun classes attend. While am used to it, always hated the tactile feel of Glocks trigger face.

It's fairly easy to shave the trigger safety leaf down to match the contour of the trigger face and still keep its function.

Trigger feels sight out of mind better with this mod!

·
Registered
427 Posts
so does Walther P99, keeps pinching my finger between trigger and frame.
Was also a problem for me when I had my P99! Quite a few blood blisters. Don't have a problem with my XD tho'.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the glock 19 i had was an anoying son of a bitch on my finger and my xd's had kind of a sharp edge on them from the way they were cast ..
i just took some lite emery cloth and sanded the edge off and it made all the differance in the world ..

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Captain Ray said:
You obvuously have one of the XD's that is all ****ed up. You need to send it to me right away so that I can shoot it a bunch of times and make sure it is working properly. PM me, I will pay the shipping no problemo'.

Raymond
Phew! I'm glad it's not the gun! I've actually got one of the HS2000s, so I guess my specimen is free of the defect. :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ive had the same experience of soreness in my trigger finger with the xd that i never had before, even with glocks. But now i've pretty much gotten used to it and perhaps my skin has calloused a bit as well. Yea, i actually likened the experience to first playing guitar as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have 3 Glocks and an XD. They both kill my finger. I have smooth triggers on all the glocks and that didn't help much. Like somebody above said, with the Glock, the finger gets pinched between the frame and the trigger. With the XD, I'm not sure what causes it. I'm fine for the first hundred rounds, but after that, the finger starts to get sore.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The XD causes it because it has that stupid split trigger like the Glock.

Unlike the Glock, the XD's trigger is metal, and the inner edges of the split where the little plastic "safety" lever rides are unbeveled. They will bite your finger unmercifully on some XDs, though I have one that is OK from the factory.

I have pulled my triggers out, removed the stupid plastic thingy and used a Dremel with a Cratex bit to round off the inner edges.

I would love it if someone came out with a solid XD trigger. I am strongly tempted to fill the gap with some epoxy myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts