Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I continue to have FTF's with my XD .40. At first I thought it was just cheap ammo...but I have had the same problem with multiple ammo brands. Then I decided that it just needed a little breaking in...but I now have well over a 1000 rounds through it.

The round seems to catch on the top of the chamber. Sometimes a "tap" will clear it and other times it takes a "rack."

I have three mags and I seem to have the same problem with all of them.

I know it is not limp wristing as one of my firearms instructors had the same problem while shooting my XD. Another instructor even tried to make the gun malfunction buy limp wristing with no success.

I tried polishing the feed ramp and it made no difference.

At this point I am contemplating the sale of my XD. I love the trigger, grip safety, and overall feel of the gun but...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't follow. Your having a problem w/ it feeding. Your instructor purposely limpwristed trying to make it have a misfeed and failed?? :?
I get what your trying to say though. Sorry to hear your having problems w/ it. The XD's are for the most part, very reliable guns. Sell it if you must but I would take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Since you have a legitimate problem(i.e. not trying to weasel out a free finish through springfield), I'm sure Springfield would be more than happy to help you out. They'll even reimbursh your shipping. That is the course I recommend. It's all up to you though. However, you'll be missing out.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I used to have problems with FTF with reloads I polished the feedramp, chamber, and breach face and the problem went away. Limp wristing usually causes FTE instead of FTF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have the ftf but mine were with FMJ. They were getting cought on the bottom of the feed ramp. I sent it back it Springfield and wala no more FTF. I haven't had a problem since. I recomend letting Springfield have a chance at making things right before you sell.

·
Registered
375 Posts
another .40 that ftf's. mine did exactly what you're describing. it would actually push the bullet into the casing with my federal hydra-shoks. i clean(ed) my xd after every shoot, and the feed ramp is all nice and shiny. i had to send mine to S/A for them to polish it. S/A made things right, but after so many ftf's, it's still a fear i have in the back of my mind. i have an xd9sc that hasn't had any jams of any sort, so i really question what's going on with the xd and the .40 caliber round.

send it to S/A (call first).

then watch on the XD forum how the topic of the XD comes up and people say the XD doesn't ever jam, if it does it's purely user error. BWAHAHAHA!

dn
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was having the same problem as rolem, especially with HP and wadcutters. I gradually opened the feed lips of my magazines until I could slowly ride the slide forward and still chamber a HP cartridge without it hanging. A couple of times I overadjusted (opened the lips too wide) and the round would get stuck at the top, like yours. I incrementally squeezed them back towards each other until I got the optimum result. So what I'm saying is, maybe try squeezing the lips of your magazines together, ever so slightly. You can gauge your progress by loading one round in each magazine and standing them next to each other on a flat surface, and viewing the height of the rounds. I've fired about 1000 rounds since I did this with all 3 magazines I own, and I haven't had a FTF.

Also, ask James.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth, when I bought my new XD-40 Service Bi Tone it would feed FMJ ammo usually without a hitch. I may have had an occasional FTF but when it came to JHP's forget it! The WWB 180 gr JHP's it wouldn't even chamber them. I tried other JHP and I was getting 1 or 2 out of 10 FTF's. I sent the gun back to SA with a detailed letter explaining what the gun was doing. When I got it back in the work order they listed that the feed ramp and breech were polished, the chamber was re-radiused and I believe the slide may have been polished, anyhow the end result gave me an XD-40 that eats anything! Since then it has fed 100's of WWB FMJ's 180gr 165gr without a hitch. It has fed 100's of WWB 180gr JHP, 100's of UMC Green box JHP's and 50 Double Tap Gold Dot JHP without a hitch. When properly machined the XD-40 is an extremely reliable weapon.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Mountain Gunner

If you give me a call I can let you know how to fix it.

or pm me with a number to contact you at

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW I have a XD40 also. Mine took about 3 weeks but mine was having the surface rust issue also so they did the slide at the same time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mountain Gunner said:
How long did it take to get your guns serviced by Springfield?
i think mine was about 2 weeks.

dn
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke with James and it sounds like it might be a magazine problem. I just need to find some time to send some lead down range and see if the problem is corrected.

Thanks again James!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts