Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an XD-9 SC for a few years, and the front sight now will move after a few mags through it. I was just wondering if this is common, and if it can be fixed without new sights. Thanks

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My wife's XD-9SC came from the factory with Springfield's tritium night sights on it, and the front sight was also loose. Didn't notice it until we got to the range and put several mags through it, and at that point you could slide the front sight back and forth in the dovetail.

Sent the slide back to SA and had it back in twelve days. The packing slip indicated that they replaced the front sight, Trijicon, .214 #9. It's been running strong ever since.

Like you, when I posted my experience on this forum I was a relatively new member, and there was some feedback that I was here only to troll. Unfortunately, my first contribution was partly negative in nature, but, hey, that's the way it goes.

I also emphasized the very positive customer service provided by SA and the relatively quick turnaround time.

Give them a call. They'll take care of you.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
99.9% of all XD`s have "tight" dovetails. It is possible to have a loose one. About once a month I get one that practically falls out, but since they are being replaced it no longer matters. If you can move it, you can try some loctite under it. PM me with your address and I will send you a tube I have have a bunch in my parts bin. No what I consider easy to move most would not, so if you think its easy to move tap the sight off add the loctite to the dovetail and push the sight back in centering it. Clean the excess loctite off and wait 24 hrs to shoot. Hopefully this will solve your problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like you, when I posted my experience on this forum I was a relatively new member, and there was some feedback that I was here only to troll. Unfortunately, my first contribution was partly negative in nature, but, hey, that's the way it goes.
That is good to know. If that is the the way this forum is, I doubt I want much part of it. Thanks for the input. I will just order some night sights, and try my hand at installing them. If I do screw it up I just got an xdm .45 yesterday so I will still have a shooter.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That is good to know. If that is the the way this forum is, I doubt I want much part of it. Thanks for the input. I will just order some night sights, and try my hand at installing them. If I do screw it up I just got an xdm .45 yesterday so I will still have a shooter.
Sorry, I didn't mean to create that impression. In fact, this forum is a clearinghouse for some of the best information from some of the most experienced XD shooters out there. My intent for that comment was to try to run point for you and your comment, as with the significant increase in readership of this forum in recent history, there have been a commensurate number of folks showing up just trying to stir the pot without contributing anything.

You might want to peruse some of the numerous threads regarding changing sights yourself, too. Lots of mixed results on that subject, as the XD is known for being notoriously difficult in that regard.

Welcome to the forum, and we'll look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What strength loctite would you recommend? I was also thinking about putting new sights on the .45, and putting those on the 9. I really like the fact that the xdm sights have the anti-reflective grooves in them.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts

red loctite would be a nogo on firearm applications. The heat required to remove anything that it is used on will destroy the firearms finish.

I have used blue loctite on firearms forever and never had a problem with it. Go to a local gunsmith and ask what they use. There will be plenty of blue all over the shop.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
red loctite would be a nogo on firearm applications. The heat required to remove anything that it is used on will destroy the firearms finish.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Any loctite would probably be a bear to clean out of the dove tail later, I would guess. I was also thinking about center punching each side of the sight ever so slightly. I would think that would expand it enough to keep it in place, as I doubt it would take much.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd be a little hesitant to center punch the sight, on the off chance that you might get the angle wrong, and mar up the slide. Springfield should have a lifetime warranty on it, and take care of you for free. I've heard many many horror stories of people attempting to change XD/XDm sights, such as gnarling up the slide on the removal, or re-installation. I had a very competent local gunsmith do mine, and I watched him do the most meticulous installation I'd ever seen him do. He said he could do other polymer guns with his eyes closed, but the tighter tolerances on the Springfield required a attentive touch.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I will send it back to get some straight 8 sights installed. I had forgotten that I did not want to send it off and be without my xd. It just dawned on me I have two now. If this .45 shoots ok (as I expect it to) I will ship the other one off. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Red loctite is what is provided with all XS sights for you to use. You do not always need heat to remove sights with red loctite. I have to remove them all the time and have never heated one up. The set screw can be another story. For the XS sights you have to glob it in the dovetail and install the sight since the rear is so loose.

If you remove a sight that has loctite applied you see it as a crust in the dovetail. To clean it use some oil and a rag and wipe it off. I have thousands and thousands of installs/removals on just XD's not inluding other brands of guns. So I have more experence with sights and XD's than anyone outside of the factory, I wont steer you wrong. If sight manufacturers have consulted with me in development of their sights then I have some unique experences.

If you want the free tube of loctite let me know. If the sight is that loose you can fix it your self.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts