Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a Springfield XD 4", 9mm (ported), to be used for target practice (and home safety) and I want to look into doing some competitions with it. From what I can tell it is not recognized as a stock pistol by the IDPA because of the SA classification.

So my question is, which competitions are open to this pistol? Also, which divisions are people shooting XD's in and what are they shooting against. I’m more into doing IDPA style practical stuff. The whole ‘race gun’ seriously modified thing doesn’t appeal to me and I sure wouldn't want to shoot against people with all those modifications.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. BTW I love this forum, you guys really know your stuff!

[ February 28, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: CJ ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
CJ, I'd suggest against getting a ported gun. Porting is great for race guns in competition, but not for serious practical use. Porting will also force you into the Open class in IPSC/USPSA which is where all the race guns are. You can shoot a XD(non-ported)in IPSC/USPSA in Production class. I've shot both my XD-9 and my XD-40 and they both work very well. In Production you'll be shooting against mostly Glocks, some Berettas, and a Ruger or Sig now and then. It's a great way to start shooting in competition and it doesn't cost a arm and a leg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sidetracker,

Thanks for the reply. That’s some good advice, I don’t want to end up in the open class. It’s nice that the XD is considered production class in IPSC/USPSA. Do you know if anyone is shooting it in the IDPA competitions and what it’s division is there?

CJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not sure about this but the last I heard IDPA put XD's into the ESP division with other "single action" pistols instead of SSP with Glocks, etc... So the competition will be a little stiffer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i shoot an xd40 in idpa. they are in the esp catagory. esp has the stiffest classifier times in idpa. you will probably be going up against 1911's. its all fun. shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sidetracker, Dogpack, thanks for the information.

I’m new to shooting so I figured it would be easier to control the xd-9 instead of the xd-40. I just got back from the local gun shop where I was in search of the XD Tactical in 9mm. Apparently, the great state of California has decided to approve the .40 but has held up the 9mm. So I’m out of luck for the 9mm in a 5" right now. While I was there I shot 100 rounds through the XD-9 4". It was great and extremely accurate but I really want the longer barrel of the tactical for competitions. Do you think it’s worth waiting for Cal approval or should I just get the XD-9, does the extra barrel length help that much in competition? Keeping in mind that I’m just out to have some fun, I don’t expect to win anything.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ive no experience with the 5". ive heard here that there is little difference in accuracy between the two. you would have to be a damn good shot to utilize the difference. id say go ahead and get the 4".

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
CJ
The XD pistol is in the ESP division in IDPA. Since in IDPA competition you are shooting against people of comparable shooting skill, the exact pistol doesn't really matter much until you get to Master classification. You should be aware that ported pistols are not permitted in "official" IDPA competition, although a local Match Director may let you use one if you shoot for no score. Finally, there is probably no difference in the inherent accuracy of the 4 inch vs. 5 inch models. The difference is in the length of the sight radius, and in bullseye shooting, there may well be some noticeable advantage to the longer barrel. In action pistol sports such as IDPA, where most of your shots are fast and close, the 4 inch gun would be just fine. (A friend of mine will probably classify Master next month with a Glock 26--barrel length of 3.78 inches.) As for 9mm vs .40, both are easily controlable once you know how. A training class or two would be well worth the cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
CJ
Go with the 9mm in the 4" nonported gun. The 5" 9mm seems very rare, if it's even available. Holsters are much easier to find for the 4" guns too. 9mm is much cheaper to buy ammo for. I've been using Winchester "Value" packs from Walmart, $10.96 for a box of 100rds. The most important thing you can do is get a lot of practice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks everyone for the feedback. Another thing I learned in the trip to the gun store today is that the ported model is also not approved for California. So all of my issues are resolved today with the help of this forum and the limits of state law. Tomorrow I’ll be going to Turners (xd on sale BTW) and purchase a XD-9 4" in Bi-Tone. I’m very excited about the prospect.

Snake-eater 1, thanks for the advice. I had a gun safety and target shooting class on Friday and I’ve got another one scheduled for next Friday. After that I’ll be looking into one of these ‘tactical handgun’ day classes. I don’t have any driving desire to compete or out do anyone, I just know it’s the best way to help to push me to better all around proficiency and getting the most out of the experience.

Thanks again and look for my ‘just got a new xd’ post in a week or two when they finally let me take it home…

CJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts