Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now Ive done it. I keep my xd in an old day runner type case for when I take it with me in the car. Yesterday my wife started on a routine trip to the store, and I had a few things with me besides the pistol. I set it on top of the roof and loaded the other things into the car, something must have distracted me and I forgot it was there. Got about a mile and a half before I was going fast enough for it to blow off. I saw it tumbleing and bouncing end over end beside the car through the rear view mirror. At first I did not know what it was then it hit me. I felt sick. It ended up on the shoulder, and I whipped it around to go get it. The case was badly scrapped up but the pistol and the extra mag was still intact. The only problem I could see was that the rear of the frame was kinda dinged from where it bounced, and the back of the slide by the cocked pin was a little scuffed. At the time I was releived that the whole thing wasnt smashed. However when I returned home from the trip I tried to field strip it, and it will not come apart. It seems that the slide is stuck. It will not come forward. Also when I dry fire it it sounds kinda weak, not the way it usually would. I have not tried to fire any live rounds yet and thought I would see what you guys thought I should do. Is this kind of thing covered under the warranty? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Must have pictures. Others can advise better.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
It'll buff out! :D

Take it slow and don't panic. I doubt that Springfield will cover owner neglect, but you can make it work. There are probably edges peened over so that it won't strip. Take a careful look at what is deformed. Then see if you can do some minor and temporary fixes for this. Some times scraping metal with a knife edge is enough to deburr it, and may help in taking it down. It won't look pretty, but it already no longer looks pretty.

Once it is down, you can do some cosmetics to make it tolerable again.

If it were me, I would drink to it's death and mourn it's passing, and then in the morning when I sobered up I would be free to take it on with no fears. After all it is already "dead", so you can do no further harm. Even if you are not a drinking man, the general technique is valid. Approach it with a fresh mind.

Pictures may help, even if only to satisfy my morbid mind! :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jeff,

First, I'd like to thank you and others for posting such mishaps - it helps us all to avoid them!

I'd suggest that you contact SA before doing anything else. Most interactions with SA seem to have positive endings, based upon the results of other board members.

Good luck!

Rotnguns

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
jeff G? from new braunfels?

you wouldnt happen to have relatives by the name of... Greg, Chase, or Houston would you?

this will be really weird if you are who i think you are.

as for your pistol... well, now its got some "battle wounds". dont forget to pull the trigger to disengage the slide when field stripping... thats about all i have.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That is friggin' hilarious!! I am sorry.. People make mistakes, and I have made my fair share.. but I havn't done that! LMBO!! A dayrunner? Aren't you worried about shooting yourself when you check your appointments or task list? I can just see you grabbing for your calculator to see if you have enough money to buy a little extra brocoli for supper and putting a hole in a gallon of milk! LOL

For the love of God.. DONT get a blackberry!!

I'm just joking around.. people make mistakes. At least it wasn't your credit cards.. Credit cards can do a lot of damage.

Raymond

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well goooooood thing you saw it. That would have been really bad if you would have lost it. Well my advice is dont to that again. Give us pictures please, of the case too. :) Good thing it was in a case too that would have been really sad if it was not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It happens to everybody who drives at some point. I've done it with my cell phone, only to pull over and watch a stream of 6 cars drive by it, and 1 jerk in a truck tagging along at the end who actually swerved to hit it.

It was a sanyo, it survived. The leather case didn't.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have done the exact same thing years ago. I owned a small minifarm and was out eliminating a groundhog behind my chicken coupe with my Buckmark when my wife yelled out to me. I laid the gun on the trunk of my car and went into the house to see what she wanted. Well what she wanted was for me to hurry and run up to the store for a gallon of milk so she could finish making dinner. I ran out and jumped in the car and sped down the road. When I got home I had a call from the sherriff dept. saying that my neighbor had found my gun in the middle of the road 1/4 mile down. I walked down the road to ge it and thanked him for turning it in. Other than a busted ego and some dings on the rear of the slide near the sights, it was fine.

If you cant get it apart, try a bit more muscle, a knife or a file, I would have to agree with Don, something is peened over proably and just needs to be encouraged a bit.

If its not broke, dont fix it but yours is broke.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Curious...was it loaded? If it didn't go off after a "drop test" from a car at 55mph, that'd be a data point that SA might be interested in. Tell 'em to fix your gun for free and they can use your story! :D

Glad you recovered it and nobody got hurt. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
JeffG,

Don is almost certainly correct about the peening problem. If you examine the area where the slide meets the frame, odds are you'll find at least one spot (maybe more) that is obviously deformed and preventing slide movement. If you gingerly attempt to bend it back, you will probably be able to get the slide off the frame.

Hmmm...I think your torture test was obviously more rigorous than the one I did for Handguns! (I ran one over, and even dropped it off a mountanside, but I didn't drop it out of a moving car...)

--Leibster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took Don's advice. I didnt mess with it any more last night, but got up this morning and went back over it. I found there to be a piece of fabric or zipper material gumming up the works. All it took was a little more force than I had been putting on it to get it loose. I figured that it was already jacked up what would a little more pepper do to it. So, the slide came off!!!! Further inspection reveals there to be no internal damage that I can see. The bit of material must have been somehow forced into the works when ever I worked the slide, or on impact. Where it is dinged up on the frame I will just hit it with my Dremmel and it should buff out, wont be pretty anymore but it could be worse. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try to get some pics up if possible. Yes there was a hydrashock in the chamber. No it did not go boom, thankfully. Now I am aggravated about the Dayrunner, it works perfectly for carrying my pistol and a spare mag. It can still be used but the gun shows through at the bottom and the zipper will have to be repaired. Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Leibster said:
Hmmm...I think your torture test was obviously more rigorous than the one I did for Handguns! (I ran one over, and even dropped it off a mountanside, but I didn't drop it out of a moving car...)
--Leibster

I think yours was much more rigorous...

Let's not forget that the gun was not dropped bare onto the pavement. If my little leather cell-phone case can sacrifice its life to save my phone, surely a nice, padded dayplanner feels a call to duty as well...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts